• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help needed! Baby rabbit.

Wandering round on my bed as I type! Bought him some pellets and hay today and he seems vaguely interested in them, he;s started actually suckling at the syringe which makes feeding easier and is gaining weight and is very VERY sociable :) I'm a little bit smitten :love:

fantastic!!! ours started showing interest in hay and pellets quite early on (3 weeks?) though are still grabbing a snack from mum at 9 weeks!!

Mothball doing awesomely today, he's now in a slightly bigger tank thing which gives him some spca eto wander round in. Everytime I have him out on the bed he just tries to come over and cuddle with me. Just sat with him and hand fed him pellets which was cute, even if I did nearly fall asleep :) At the moment his little tank is open next to me on the bed and I keep putting him back in it but he keeps climbing out and coming to sit on my knee. So cute!

Does anyone know roughly how much weight he should be gaining per day?

Mothball doing awesomely today, he's now in a slightly bigger tank thing which gives him some spca eto wander round in. Everytime I have him out on the bed he just tries to come over and cuddle with me. Just sat with him and hand fed him pellets which was cute, even if I did nearly fall asleep :) At the moment his little tank is open next to me on the bed and I keep putting him back in it but he keeps climbing out and coming to sit on my knee. So cute!

Does anyone know roughly how much weight he should be gaining per day?

Sorry - don't know about weight gaining, but :love:

Our wild bun put on 10gms a day at that age. . (starting at 5 gms a day when he was only 95gms).

he is now 8 weeks and 500 gms.

The domestic buns are generally much chunkier - but we never weighed our domestic accidents as they were feeding from mum so there was no need to worry - in fact they are little piglets..

Sorry for lack of updates - Have been mega busy with work and a festival and preparing to move house!

You'll all be pleased to hear that Mothball is doing brilliantly! He is soooo much more active than when I found him, his eyes seems to have opened a lot wider and he is very sure on his feet. He is a bit on the bony side, however he is growing bigger at a rate of knots and gaining weight daily. He's a little reluctant to feed as often as every 4 hours so I've cut it down as I'm concerned about him breathing the milk in with him struggling so much, but I am feeding him slightly more in each feed and he has hay and pellets down all the time.

He seems to have really bonded with me which is something which makes me happy. Yesterday when I got home from work and I was preparing his milk, he was on the floor following me around the house. Whenever he went out of sight, I would make a kissy noise and say his name and he'd come tearing back round to me :D I really can't wait to move on Friday so I can set up the big cage for him! At the moment the biggest I can put him in is a spare terrarium my housemate had which is pitfully small for such an active boy so the big cage will be a relief for both of us I think! Also having my own room rather than sleeping on someone elses sofa will be nice so I can animal proof it and have him running round all the time :D

I really am properly in love with him. I always said that I would never get a rabbit as a pet. All the ones I've ever met or kept as a child were not fun, unsociable or just downright nasty, but there is absolutely nothing I would do to give Mothball up now :love:

Back