• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help in Regards to a Hutch!

kazz

Alpha Buck
Hiya, I've posted in the introductions area about Marley and me (how fitting haha). Well this Saturday Marley gets to move house to my boyfriend's and his parents as my parents won't let me have him here. He's currently got a cage from The Range and a run of the small conservatory at my friends. My friend advised housing him on towels and a fleece as she does it with her guinea pigs and her sister adopted the idea for her two rabbits. Marley has actually put holes in the fleece so obviously this isn't ideal for him.

Anyway the point I'm getting to (you'll realise I babble an awful lot) is as he's moving, he's going in a hutch thats being donated by my supervisor from work. Its 4ft 8 long. I'm not sure how wide. And it was her sister's who had a rabbit in it before. Although I know this isn't the required amount of space for a rabbit (was reading up on a few links earlier and now feel awful) it is the best that I can offer him without giving him up, until my boyfriend gets his own place and I can make a proper bunny area within the house and then buy a run for the garden for the summer.

My questions are:

How shall I clean the hutch down before putting Marley in it?
Will the smell of the other rabbit still be in it even though it's been stood empty for a good few months?
What shall I put in for flooring?
Is he going to be really upset that he hasn't got as much space?

He is litter trained and I bought some litter stuff from Pets at Home for when he's in there. I bought some straw the other day as I've been told thats warmer to bed them in. My friends have kept him in the conservatory to hopefully keep his winter coat in. Zak has said he'll bring him in at nights if it's pretty cold. I'm intending to buy one of those weatherproofers too if anyone can advise somewhere thats good/cheap?

I am an absolute novice when it comes to rabbits but I can assure everyone I want to do the best my situation can allow for the moment. I'm sure I'll be able to persuade his parents to let me have him running around the living room for a bit of exercise now and again.

Hello and welcome.

The hutch is rather small as you say. Maybe you could attach a run to it?

To clean it I would brush and scrape out any remaining litter/debris. Then give it a thorough scrub with a pet friendly disinfectant or a solution of Milton perhaps. Rinse and allow to dry thoroughly. Remember to wash down the wire too.

I would line the inside with Lino or stick on floor tiles for easy cleaning.

If you have time it's a good idea to treat the wood - use a pet friendly water based solution.

Could you afford to buy him a larger hutch perhaps?

Thanks for the reply, will be sure to try and get some lino or tiles, any suggestions for cheap places? Would you not put any substrate on top of the tiles too? Put a fleece in his bed area to help be comfortable and warm with the straw?

I can't afford a bigger hutch and as soon as the boyfriend has a house he'll be an indoor bunny anyway. I could see about attaching a run in some way eventually but I don't even know what the hutch looks like until tomorrow when I go to pick it up. It's been a nightmare trying to get it in the first place. The only other thing is the family have two dogs and some cats, I'm not sure how they'd react to Marley being there. Delila the Rottweiler could smell her in the hallway previously and wanted to get through but we never let her through to see him. Would it be advisable if I did get a run built to accommodate the hutch to leave him able to go on to grass as and when? Or would there be a chance he'd burrow out?

Obviously a complete novice, which I know can be annoying but as I say I'm trying to do the best I can for now!

Hi, not able to address all your questions and not sure I entirely understand his situation, but in my opinion he needs consistancy (sorry spelling?) and keeping to familar territory whilst you try to improve the quality of his accommodation. Taking outside his familar territory for exercise could be very unnerving for him. Bunnies are very nervous animals!

The only other option would be to keep him in the hutch until the possibility of a run may be able to be added. Hes been very good at adapting to different areas but yes I know theyre easily upset hence the situation currently is not ideal and will try to be sorted within the coming weeks but he has explored their living room before and would be empty of any animals for the time he was in.

My main question was what to do with the second hand hutch in order to make it safe/less annoying as it was another rabbit's and what substrate to put in to make sure hes warm and comfortable. Understanding tiles but anything on top of that and possibly a fleece for bedding on with the straw?

Hello :wave: sometimes carpet stores will give you off cuts of Lino and you could use that to cover the floor? Then just pack lots of straw in too. You could also get a snugglesafe if you're worried about him getting cold. I wouldn't advise bringing him in at night, or for a runaround, as the temperature change is not good for him.
He will probably be quite upset with the small space as its really not big enough, if you were able to attach a run to it that would be great :) I'd recommend putting it on concrete if possible? To stop any digging out or in! If you disinfect the hutch well all over and let it dry out it should be fine, I'm sure he'll scent it all over soon!
Good luck :)

My main question was what to do with the second hand hutch in order to make it safe/less annoying as it was another rabbit's and what substrate to put in to make sure hes warm and comfortable. Understanding tiles but anything on top of that and possibly a fleece for bedding on with the straw?

You can clean it with bleach/water, rinsing well afterwards and then allow it to dry & air fully. Or use a steam cleaner if you have one. (When I got a secondhand hutch I bleached and steamed just to be on the safe side :lol:) That should be enough to get rid of any rabbit scent but, if you wanted to be sure, then you could spray on some vinegar/water solution and let that dry as the vinegar will mask any bunny smells.

I would see how he goes with the indoor exercise; some bunnies are much more wary than others and he may well be fine with it.

You can use whatever you like over the Lino, newspaper and hay or straw, litter tray and towel or fleece sitting area.

You are right, a run needs wire under on grass, to prevent him burrowing out or a predictor burrowing in, or needs to be on concrete.

Why not have a look in the housing section for great ideas.

Are you saying the dogs use the same area? This would be be big concern. Is there a shed you could site the hutch in?

Have you explored all options for this rabbit as I don't really think this option (small hutch, dog dangers) is ideal to say the least.

I don't mean to be rude but if finances are an issue what will happen if your rabbit becomes ill and requires a vet visit? Has he been vaccinated?

The only reason Marley is still alive is because I've spent the money on his vet care in order to get him back fit and healthy. He has had a vaccination against myxi. If he becomes ill he will get the treatment he needs. I am an animal lover and I am attempting to get the advice toward giving him the best sitaution possible for this short period of time. I have a joiner friend who I'm sure will help make a run to fit the hutch eventually. The rabbit will be down the side of the jouse, not directly with the dogs but it may be needed that a board is put up in order to block it. I appreciate your concerns for the welfare for Marley but as I say he wouldnt be here if it weren't for me and I am trying my best to make sure he's not in danger while in the hutch until further improvements can be done but again thank you for caring enouhh to bring the points to attention.

Thank you for the helpful comments. I'll be sure to nip into my local carpet place after work, use the fleecing in his bedding area and line it with paper/straw. I wont fetch him in overnight and can I just ask by snugglesafe you mean the microwave pads?

The only reason Marley is still alive is because I've spent the money on his vet care in order to get him back fit and healthy. He has had a vaccination against myxi. If he becomes ill he will get the treatment he needs. I am an animal lover and I am attempting to get the advice toward giving him the best sitaution possible for this short period of time. I have a joiner friend who I'm sure will help make a run to fit the hutch eventually. The rabbit will be down the side of the jouse, not directly with the dogs but it may be needed that a board is put up in order to block it. I appreciate your concerns for the welfare for Marley but as I say he wouldnt be here if it weren't for me and I am trying my best to make sure he's not in danger while in the hutch until further improvements can be done but again thank you for caring enouhh to bring the points to attention.

Thank you for the helpful comments. I'll be sure to nip into my local carpet place after work, use the fleecing in his bedding area and line it with paper/straw. I wont fetch him in overnight and can I just ask by snugglesafe you mean the microwave pads?

I'm sorry if you were offended, it was not my intention as I said.

All very good advice here. Just thinking re snuggle safe (I have one but have very rarely used it and even then, it was ignored) - I am not sure if he would have room to get away from it if the area got too warm for him. Just a thought.

No I understand you're replying in the best interests of Marley :)

I'll leave the snugglesafe for now, I'll get some lino, paper and some hay to mix with the straw for his flooring

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CHICKEN-IMP...ITABLE/dp/B00538JYYM/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Quick update! Marley is now a Scunthorpe rabbit and settled for the moment. The boyfriend is on about footing the bill for a bigger better hutch and play area. So opinions are needed. What do people think to this?

Ooo that's great that he wants to help! :) personally I don't think they are great and very awkward to clean out. Prob better and would make more long term money/quality sense to buy a shed or Wendy house and attach a good size run. You have to think of the welfare requirements.....! I have happy hutches and love them, they do a great selection and I just added an extra run to it also. £200 for a 6th hutch and 12ft run, u can't go wrong really :D

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CHICKEN-IMP...ITABLE/dp/B00538JYYM/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Quick update! Marley is now a Scunthorpe rabbit and settled for the moment. The boyfriend is on about footing the bill for a bigger better hutch and play area. So opinions are needed. What do people think to this?

The problem with coops is they have little floor space and more height, ideal for birds that can fly but not so much for bunnies. And the enclosed area is very small, smaller than a six foot hutch would be. Obviously it's better than a four foot hutch but it would be better to pay out once and get something good than have to pay out twice!

Have you looked at the sticky? (http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?311878-Outdoor-Housing) Many people get a second hand shed or playhouse and then attach a run to it which works well as it gives a decent enclosed, weatherproof area but still maintains some height for humans and also to provide levels. Bunnies enjoy jumping on and off things and exploring.

I thought the enclosed area may be a little on the small side. The reviews seem to say its a good choice for rabbits but I thought I'd ask here. Because the boyfriend is still with his parents and they have dogs. We're limited to the space at the side of the house so I'm not sure a shed would be feasible. I'll mention the wendy house though and see about attaching a run. I'll go check the link too :) we're wanting something we can take with us for when its summer etc too and to fit a girlie in with him once moved out.

Agree about the chicken coop not being big enough. Wendy house and run sounds a good idea. Best of luck with it all :wave:

Back