• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help! I think the vet has mis-diagnosed my rabbit and I'm scared he's dying.

Sweet dreams Doe. Hope you're doing ok - it's a really hard time for you to go through. I'm sure you miss your wee man terribly but you did the best for him that you could with the information you had at the time xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So sorry to hear your terrible news. Rest assured you did all you could do and your bun was loved.

I am so very sorry for your loss. :( You can always file a complaint at the old vet and explain that you feel that he was misdiagnosed and given the wrong treatment. It may help another bunny that is taken there when ill.

You did all you could for him and I am very sorry you have gone through this. I lost a bun because of a bad vet before so I really do feel your pain and frustration. You are right that he should have been given the proper treatment in the first place but it may not have saved his life and this is something you will never know so try not to dwell too much on it.

Binky free Doris. I hope you are happy and pain free at the bridge.

He was put down yesterday. I'm devastated, I can't believe hes gone. He literally went everywhere with me so everything reminds me of him and its painful. We took him to the vets everyone recommended in Hoylake, but I knew it was too late. :cry: I had to think for his sake and not my own, he hadn't pooped in over 24 hours and he was really re-jecting the water and critical care we were syringe feeding him. I couldnt stand seeing him in pain, his breathing had become heavy also.

What makes me so upset and it will haunt me forever is, if he had the right treatment the 1st/2nd time we went the vet, I feel like he couldve been saved. He was 10 years old... but he put up such a fight. He so wanted to live. Twice I thought he was going to die there and then in my living room, he looked like he was having some kind of fit. Twice I was shocked to see he was still alive when I checked on him first thing in the morning. And this might sound corny to some people, but I feel like he knew how much I loved him and he loved me and his will to live was so strong.

I dont want anyone to experience what I went through, if you think your rabbit has the beginning of GI Statis take him to a rabbit savvy vet and LEAVE him there. They are much more likely to live if they are admitted to the vets as they can give them stronger pain killers there and keep them on a drip so they have fluids throughout the night. If the vet had told me this I would have left him, but it was the 4-5th day of him having it and I knew if I left him with the vet he would've died there and that would've been worse.

I feel like the vet didn't act properly at all, the first time we took him he just had a vitamin shot. The second time, he said my rabbit needed an over-grown tooth out and he would operate the next day. Luckily, I cancelled this because I didn't think he would survive being put under anaesthetic in his condition. He was also given a gut stimulant and pain killer but I was given nothing to give him at home except "Loxicom" which is just a mild painkiller. And it was only till I looked on here that I learned to give him water every half hour. He should've been put on IV fluids there and then and stronger pain killers. The third time we went, he was given another gut stimulant, a shot to hydrate him and a stronger pain killer. He actually perked up when we got back from the vet that time and drank himself, which tells me the painkiller mustve been strong enough to make him want to drink- but of course it wore off. Again, I shouldve been given gut stimulants to give him at home. The 4th time was in Hoylake where he was put down. I really recommend this vet, she was so nice and knew what she was doing. He went peacefully in my arms (despite my crys and sobs). What really annoyed me is she checked his teeth and said they're arent really a problem and he doesnt even need one taken out!! So not only did the other vet threaten his life by saying he needs of over-grown tooth out when hes in such bad condition, but it wasnt actually causing him any harm!

Anyway, I did everything I could, the advice on here was so helpful, I tried everything. I slept on the couch to give him water in the night, bought some critical care, bought infacol for gas pain, gave him painkiller twice a day. Unfortunately the vet didn't act quick or better enough. It was either let him die at home in pain (probably would've had a seizure or something) or put him out of his misery.

His name was Dorris by the way (haha i know!) I was only 11 when I named him and I thought it was a unisex name. But he really suited it actually cause he was such a softie, he was called "Doe" for short. I miss him terribly....let the sleepless night and no eating begin. Thank you all so much for your concern and help, it meant a lot.

Your post brought tears to my eyes. He was a special bunny, and you are a special bunny mom for trying so hard to fight for him. I can understand why he loved you so much he tried to get through his illness just to stay with his best friend.

Hugs. I lost three old bunnies (Bonita-13.4 years, Black Velvet-13.4 years, and CX 12.5 years) in less than eight months, two of them in the past seven weeks, and feel the pain you have from losing your friend.

Your post brought tears to my eyes. He was a special bunny, and you are a special bunny mom for trying so hard to fight for him. I can understand why he loved you so much he tried to get through his illness just to stay with his best friend.

Hugs. I lost three old bunnies (Bonita-13.4 years, Black Velvet-13.4 years, and CX 12.5 years) in less than eight months, two of them in the past seven weeks, and feel the pain you have from losing your friend.

All these messages of condolence brought tears to my eyes :love: Thank you all so much for your lovely thoughts, its really comforting to know that there are people out there who know how I feel. I've literally been on the couch since it happened, looking at old photos and crying at all the memories which is why this is a slow reply.

I'm trying very hard to not feel guilty about his mis-diagnosis and thinking of how much he was loved. He had a good, long life. I cut a little bit of his fur off before I buried him and I'm going to put it in a locket :') Boy do I miss cuddling him, and the way he smelt! He always smelt lovely, he'd lick my neck as well whenever I picked him up or came home from anywhere.

Again, if you live in the Wirral area and have a loved bun, don't take him to Seaview Road Vets- they're not rabbit savy. Also, every time I rang up to book him in they'd say they were "booked up" and struggled to fit me in. They should know that every hour matters when a rabbit is sick as opposed to a dog or cat. But when I was there in the waiting room, they'd answer the phone and say straight away to people "I can book him in today for 2" or whenever. And I'd be thinking...you told me you were completely booked up today. I don't think they consider rabbits important. Wish I'd took him to Hoylake first, they were brilliant.

Thank you all again for your messages, Dorris certainly deserved the best! Never heard him grunt in the whole 10 years I had him, and never nipped anyone ever :p such a softie.

Ellenrose,

Dorris truly was a special bunny. Enjoy the memories and take comfort in the fact that you loved him enough to do what was best for him, not you, and let him go.

I know it is hard not to do, but don't beat yourself up about the diagnosis. I spent too many years playing 'what if?' and now know that no one really knows that answer.
You did not know the professional you trusted was not rabbit savy. By sharing your story you provided others with valuable information and let them know which vet in your area is not to be trusted with rabbits.

All these messages of condolence brought tears to my eyes :love: Thank you all so much for your lovely thoughts, its really comforting to know that there are people out there who know how I feel. I've literally been on the couch since it happened, looking at old photos and crying at all the memories which is why this is a slow reply.

I'm trying very hard to not feel guilty about his mis-diagnosis and thinking of how much he was loved. He had a good, long life. I cut a little bit of his fur off before I buried him and I'm going to put it in a locket :') Boy do I miss cuddling him, and the way he smelt! He always smelt lovely, he'd lick my neck as well whenever I picked him up or came home from anywhere.

Again, if you live in the Wirral area and have a loved bun, don't take him to Seaview Road Vets- they're not rabbit savy. Also, every time I rang up to book him in they'd say they were "booked up" and struggled to fit me in. They should know that every hour matters when a rabbit is sick as opposed to a dog or cat. But when I was there in the waiting room, they'd answer the phone and say straight away to people "I can book him in today for 2" or whenever. And I'd be thinking...you told me you were completely booked up today. I don't think they consider rabbits important. Wish I'd took him to Hoylake first, they were brilliant.

Thank you all again for your messages, Dorris certainly deserved the best! Never heard him grunt in the whole 10 years I had him, and never nipped anyone ever :p such a softie.

That's awful. Some vets don't realize or care and every hour is crucial. Hopefully this thread will highlight how important it is to have a rabbit savvy vet.

Back