• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

help... hand rearing 3, 5 day old kits!

They still feed from mom, twice a day. We put them in massive box with mom and they feed themselves. We leave them until they walk off, then take mom out. She was getting too stressed when turning her over. I only ever did a few syringe feeds and once they were better I left them to feed by themselves.

Will it be ok for them to go back into mom and the others now? We'd love to see that!

Yup, give it a go and see what happens. Put them all in a nest together and watch what happens. It shouldn't be a problem because she knows who they are.

I'm really excited about it! I might be having one of the babies from them! Will the big ones push them out or will they be ok? I don't want to leave them and something bad happens after all this time.

Mommy rabbit (wills) was licking one of the babies faces this morning, it was beautiful!

I don't think the big ones would push them out, I would just say stroke mummy bunny and the other two babies first and then move the others in, so that they all smell roughly the same. If mum may be a problem then you can put a bit of vanilla essence just above her nose and she will smell that and by the time it wears off all the babies will smell the same. The babies themselves will probably be glad of more bodies in there. You can just keep an eye that they are all being fed, and if they are, then you should be fine :) If they all look good and fed tomorrow then they are getting the food they need :)

You've done SUCH an awesome job with them! You should be so proud of yourself!

Thank you! I still can't feel proud yet until they are all grown up! Then I know iv helped a family of buns in need!

And thank you for your help, I wouldn't have had a clue without your advise! :D

You're very very welcome.

You did the crucial bit, which was to help mum nurse them. Things do sometimes go wrong as litters grow, but you have done all you could and more. They are very lucky babies!

Back