• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help! fox!

We were raided by the fox a few months back and have now had to place an electirc fence around our compound.
We have also put the slanted wood pieces on the top of all the fence posts and run the wire around them aswell.
He seems to have got the message and hasn't been back.

rngpwelfare said:
He seems to have got the message and hasn't been back.
Tracy I am so glad to hear this news, as I know you were having a bit of trouble with Mr. Fox..it just shows you can out wit them if you try hard enough.... :D I think I will stick to this idea for keeping the foxes at bay, and not the other WEE one :lol: :lol:

Hi there,

I could just imagine the neighbours looking out & getting a bit of a shock. We hadn't had our downstairs loo built at the time & we had a good laugh that at least he had an excuse not to have to go upstairs!!! :lol: :wink:

emilou said:
On one side of my house I have a nature reserve and the other side is the sea. There are 3 foxy families that live on my doorstep. On night we left the conservatory doors open, my two dogs were asleep in the kitchin ajoining to the consevatory. We used to to have a massive shoe rack in the conservatory by the back door where all six of my family kept their shoes. One morning we woke up to find one of nearly every pair of shoes scattered around our back garden my nan woke up seeing foxes playing about carrying shoes around on the patio!!!My dogs didnt even wake up.

That is so true. People say to me all the time that 'Oh we won't get foxes as we have a dog', I quickly inform them it actually makes little difference. From what the RSPCA inspector said it sounds like your best bet is a male dog weeing in the garden rather than being on 24 hr alert (which, occasionally, they are not :wink: )

Bunnyboarding said:
Hi there,

I could just imagine the neighbours looking out & getting a bit of a shock. We hadn't had our downstairs loo built at the time & we had a good laugh that at least he had an excuse not to have to go upstairs!!! :lol: :wink:

:shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi

Thanks v much for all the suggestions!

I have decided that as already mentioned that unless I fox proof all the gardens in my row, my bunnies are not going to be safe from Mr Fox so my OH is currently in the process of building a massive fox proof run for them which will probably take up most the garden anyway so hopefully they won't lose too much space.

They can alsos till have supervised runs in the garden :)

I went to one of the large pet stores (not naming any names) this morning to look at runns and the runs they were selling were absolutely disgusting - they were so small and flimsy (and v overpriced) hence why we are now building one!

I have yet to mention to the OH about the weeing in the garden - I don't want to encourage him! :lol:

I wouldn't trust the shop bought ones to be fox proof. You looked at chicken runs? There are some places that have runs that are suposed to be fox proof and are very big. But it all depends on what you have to spend. I had a look at http://www.simply-summerhouses.co.uk/index.htm but have never used them but some of their ideas were a bit mad. There were some on ebay at some point too.

Hi

Didn't even think of chicken runs! Just looked on that website and I like the look of the large chicken run, not sure my funds woud stretch to that at the mo though!

Has given me some ideas though......

a fox killed my 4 guinea pigs early on in the year. We put up an electric fence all around the compound. Its difently worked since then.

Foxes can definitely jump a 6 ft fence so that won't put them off, especially if they know there are bunnies the other side!

Also, although the PWS greenline stuff is very sturdy, the mesh size is very big so you should cover it with something smaller, as otherwise a fox will be able to get his paws through and may be able to grab at a rabbit. I have heard stories of bunnies/piggies being grabbed against the bars by a fox :cry: We have occasional fox visitors round our way and I use the pws run and am 100% confident that it is fox proof. It is meshed round the outside to stop the paw swiping and is partly covered with corrugated plastic for both protection and shelter. Once I've re-jigged the garden, I'm planning on buying an appropriate sized piece of high quality clear tarpaulin for the top (and sides in bad weather) to protect them more.

nicola said:
go to your hairdressers and ask for some hair.Put it in pop socks dotted about your garden fences, wall etc.They dont like the smell of humans so it keeps them away!(it works for me!!)

This is really interesting. I have always wondered why we have never had a fox in the garden even before there was a six foot fence all the way around. I have seen one on the path directly behind the house several times, and hear them bark quite often. When I hear noise in the night the first thing I think is 'Oh my God a fox' and I leap out of bed and check the garden. I have surprised a few cats that way :lol: But never a fox.

Whenever I cut the boys hair I scatter it around the garden - somehow it seems wrong to just throw it away :oops: Maybe this has detered the fox :?: Although I haven't done it for a while now as they both have long hair now - I'll have to get them to have it short again :lol: Or cut my own.

We have foxes who live in a field to the rear of our garden. We have a combination of fence sizes but I have seen a fox leap onto the top of the six foot size (labrador next door; we have a male cocker spaniel). It set the security light off so I saw it.

Id say never leave your bunnies out without you being there. I sit at the end of the garden (fox end) when mine are out binkying and supervise. Got a bench there especially!

Ive got one of those sonic things but its a bit of a mare as the cat sets it off, the tarpaulin in the wind sets it off and the rabbits set it off and they can hear it. But due to our garden shape and position of their run/hutch it makes it tricky. Ebay 25 quid!

I got one of those sonic things.

A fox has def visited our garden in the middle of the night as its chewed my berlud trainers!! never ever seen one during the day and would be surprised given that there is always people walking down our road and the road behind (v busy as near high street).

Apparently thouse sonic things don't work though :( someon on here said that and i can't remember who???

i may try the hair thing, might get some from my local hairdressrs - they may thing im nuts though!

Back