• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help for UTI

Betsyboo-1

New Kit
I am hoping someone can help me. Money is extremely tight at the moment and I'm hoping I can avoid the vet but will go if neccasary.

Bit of history first. Betsy has been with me for 6 years. Is unneutered and we don't know her age before she came to us. She is a spoilt house bunny who has free run of the living room.

My bunny has been looking a little low lately. Not her usual self. Today I noticed her hunching as if to wee but not able. She has been sat in the same spot since last night. I have lifted her out of her night cage and she has been sat in a puddle of wee.
I have given her tummy a gentle massage and her wee poured out of her. It is brown and smelly so I am thinking UTI.
She has washed and perked up after I emptied her bladder but she's still not herself.

I'm hoping there is something I can buy over counter or online to help before we go down the vet route as I know the tests she will require will soon add up and money is an issue at the minute.

Thanks for reading and really hope someone has some advice for me

Betsyboo - I'm sorry, I think your rabbit needs to see a vet as an emergency. Please talk to them about whether there is any kind of financial aid. With a bit of luck it will be one consult plus antibiotics and well worth the money as an untreated UTI can so easily be fatal.

I am hoping someone can help me. Money is extremely tight at the moment and I'm hoping I can avoid the vet but will go if neccasary.

Bit of history first. Betsy has been with me for 6 years. Is unneutered and we don't know her age before she came to us. She is a spoilt house bunny who has free run of the living room.

My bunny has been looking a little low lately. Not her usual self. Today I noticed her hunching as if to wee but not able. She has been sat in the same spot since last night. I have lifted her out of her night cage and she has been sat in a puddle of wee.
I have given her tummy a gentle massage and her wee poured out of her. It is brown and smelly so I am thinking UTI.
She has washed and perked up after I emptied her bladder but she's still not herself.

I'm hoping there is something I can buy over counter or online to help before we go down the vet route as I know the tests she will require will soon add up and money is an issue at the minute.

Thanks for reading and really hope someone has some advice for me

Unfortunately there is nothing you can buy OTC to treat your Doe. She needs to be examined by a Vet to obtain appropriate treatment. As your Doe is unspayed the symptoms you describe could be indicative of a much more serious problem than a UTI. You can obtain information about how to obtain Emergency Vet Care for a Pet when you have financial problems from here

https://www.vets-now.com/2018/02/help-with-vet-bills/

It really is essential that your Doe is seen by a Vet TODAY. She is obviously in pain and this will eventually lead to anorexia, reduced gut motility and secondary gut stasis.

Sorry, but she needs to see a vet today. If you can get her booked in during normal surgery hours, it will be cheaper. Rabbits can go downhill very quickly and out of hours vets are expensive. If you can get a urine sample and take it with you, all the better. Hopefully she 'just' needs a course of antibiotics for a UTI. Tell the vet that money is v tight - they may be able to help a bit, or at least give eg oral meds instead of an injection at the surgery, as that is cheaper, if it's appropriate.

The other option is trying a charity vet, if you are eligible for treatment there (PDSA, Blue Cross, etc).

Thankyou all for replies.
Unfortunately all our local vets are closed until Monday so it would be an emergency consultation straight away and I honestky do not have the money for that. I really wish I did as I don't want her to suffer at all.
I am devestated to be in this position. Myself and my husband work so pdsa and other charities aren't a possibility unfortunately.
Again Thankyou for the input she's currently being given lots of hat. Lots of fresh hay and I'm sat with her

I would make sure she is eating and drinking normally. Additional fluids will help to flush through any bugs, etc, so use a bowl and maybe a dash of apple juice in it to encourage her to drink more. Also make sure she is actually passing urine regularly. She should also be pooing normally - any change in size, shape, consistency or quantity means there's an issue with her guts.

Are there any vets a little further out that are normally open over the weekend? The Vets4Pets associated with Pets at Home branches tend to be open standard hours at no additional cost. If her condition gets worse, the vets will be dealing with more issues and that will take longer to resolve, with associated additional costs.

Sadly she will suffer as she is in pain. If you call the Emergency Vet and explain you situation and that you have no money and a Rabbit who is suffering they will advise you of a way forward on this occasion. If you are registered with a Vet then the out of hours cover they use has the same duty of care to the registered client. No Vet will tell a registered client that their Pet will just have to suffer, their duty of care means they must provide emergency pain relief or euthanasia.

Back