• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hello there.

Milla

Young Bun
Hello there, I'm Milla (9 yrs old) and me and my brother have just got two bunnies after me asking dad for 3 years for one. We got the hutch on christmas day and then we got my rabbit 'Whisper' and my brothers rabbit 'Dusty' on the 27th. I love Whisper lots but tonight she has changed and has made me very sad. :cry:

My brothers, 'Dusty' is a male (Born October 26th 2016) and is very happy and sniffs you and already stands up trying to get into the food bag. He lets you stroke him and is ok with this. My rabbit is a female (born October 26th 2016) is his sister but has changed. From being the same to now hiding and thumping her feet. We haven't changed anything or got in her space and we haven't picked her up or cuddled yet. We left her alone for 3 days with only just talking as the books said.

She has a big run, (indoor rabbit) and was jumping about happy only a few days ago.... but now when you go into the room she runs away and hides and thumps her feet. I'm so upset I don't know what to do. Why is Dusty so good but Whisper seems terrified and cross. We have no other pets and we have done what the books have told us.

Can anyone help? This is breaking my heart.

They are mini lops I think.

Thank you,

Milla.

Welcome to the RU Forum Milla
Is Whisper eating and pooping? It is extremely important for a rabbit to eat and poop.
What are you feeding them? Is this the same as they were eating before they came to live with you?
Are you keeping Dusty and Whisper together?

Last edited:
Hi welcome to the forum :wave:

If there's no health issues then if it was me I might think it's just her personality. Rabbits can be quite different to one another. We have had rabbits that are friendly and come over, ones that run away, ones that thump and sometimes bite.

It might take a little time for you both to get used to each other. Good luck x

Good morning and thank you.

Whisper is doing number 2's all the time but they look normal. Same as Dusty.
When we got them the breeder gave us a bag of her food and a bag of new food. We have been giving them the breeders food with 2 pellets of new mixed in the first day, then 4 pellets mixed in, this morning we are up to 12 pellets mixed in. They are both eating the new and old.

I'm going down this morning before school to check on them and to feed.

I have been given mixed advice though.

Leave Whisper to do her own thing, she will come to me in her own time, but then I got told to put her in a smaller space with me so I can stroke her and she gets used to me.

I'm confused what to do. I just want to cuddle her.

Thank you.

Is Whisper living separate to Dusty?
If she is eating and pooping it is good news.
She may need a few more days to get used to you, but rabbits are a prey animal, they don't like being picked up and cuddled. Some rabbits will get used to being handled, some will not. Be gentle with her and try feeding her with food in your hand so she can learn to trust you. Take your time, trust will not come in five minutes

Thank you. I love them already.

They are together but will separate them in about 4 weeks or until we see them jumping on each other. My dad said they have to go to the vets at 6 months for something and we have to keep them away from each other till they better. We have a spare big hutch ready for this.

Thank you. I love them already.

They are together but will separate them in about 4 weeks or until we see them jumping on each other.
Dusty will be ready for the chop before 6 months (possibly 4 months?) Willow can be spayed when she is around 6 months
Do you know of a good rabbit vet in your area?

For the chop??

I'm sorry I don't understand.

Thank you to all said they like them. I don't know how to copy your comments but thank you.

I'm going down now to them now mum and dad are home.

Welcome to RU Milla. They are gorgeous bunnies. It's brilliant that you have come on here for advice & it sounds like you have done lots of research too. Rabbits can take a long, long time to gain trust. Keep lying on the floor with her & like others have said encourage her with healthy treats. I don't think you need to worry, just be patient

Thank you.

They are only 9 weeks old so what healthy treats can I give?

Yes, I got 2 books for Christmas off Santa as he doesn't carry live stock. I read them both before we got Whisper and Dusty.

My mum and dad said it's like me going to big school and how nervous I would be.

When I get home from school I'm allowed time on the computer so I will look on here for more advice.

Whisper was still in her Hutch last night but Dusty was out and trying to get in the food bag. Everyone was laughing at him but that just made me sad.

I'm off down now.

Thank you.

They are only 9 weeks old so what healthy treats can I give?
They are very young, I would try some herbs perhaps a little bit of parsley or coriander, or if you can find some dandelions. I would only give them a tiny amount initially to ensure that it doesn't upset their tummies
If you start a new topic in "Rabbit Care" or "Rabbit Chat", you might get some other suggestions
Good luck [emoji2]

Thank you.

Well we may have realised why my rabbit was grumpy.

When we first got them we had a big grey rug in the room which they liked.

They poo'd loads though so we removed it. Then when Whisper got scared she couldn't run (hop) and just skidded which I think made her panic.

So yesterday I got home from school and my dad had made this for me!!!

This is me and my brother. Whisper seems very happy now.

Back