• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Healthy pet club at the vets

dizzyred

New Kit
Hi I'm new to the forum :wave:
I did a search but nothing came up. I have a girly bun and need to get her neutered so have been looking for vets in the area. One of my local ones does a healthy pet club and I'm wondering if it is worth doing or just paying for vaccs and care etc as needed? Does anyone have any opinions on them? Heres the details of what you get. x

For only £9.99 a month, as part of the Rabbit Club you and your pet will receive;

Myxomatosis and Viral Haemorrhagic Disease annual vaccination (VHD Combined)
1 Rearguard
1 x 2kg bag of food per month OR 1 x 1kg bag of hay per month
Free Microchip
20% discount on neutering
20% discount on dental treatments
10% off all products and services
Unlimited Nail clipping

Well, that's just short of £120 per year.

Vaccinations aren't cheap and hay/food would add up. Realistically, the only other things you will definitely benefit from is the 20% off the neuter and nail clipping. It's a good incentive with all the right stuff. I'm not sure on the numbers but sounds like you might benefit (or at least be cost neutral). :thumb:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah I saw the same at our vet when I had our girl spayed. but like with all insurances, health clubs etc they rely on fear, because we want the best for our babies they know that and will make it feel like if you don't use it, your pet will suffer. Any time we ever had any insurance with any of our pets it was completely wasted, if we put the money aside each months you'd be able to do it all and probably have some spare. sure the neutering would be helpful, but you only do that once in their life, and nail clippings, well I am just talking about myself here, since we don't like to have a car, when we go to the vet it costs us easily £12-13 in taxi costs, so not worth it for clipping nails. ;) would be awesome if it could be easier, since I don't like doing it, but in my opinion not worth going to the vet for each month. Also microchips are a once in a life time think. so again I didn't feel it would have paid off going with this. Like SJH said, the costs of vaccinations etc all add up and the hay, though if your babies are anything like Bunbuns she wants variety, currently she has a mixture of 6 or 7 hays, cant remember so again, can only talk about myself here, for me it wasn't worth it, cause I'd still have to buy more. anyway, I don't think it's a bad scheme and you may benefit from it, just thought I give my two cents worth here. :)

i don't think its worth it, vaccinations are about £30 (depending on the practice of course) and the neutering is a one off discount that you'll then be paying for over a year. i get through about 10-15kg of hay between my two a month so i'm not sure a free 1kg is really worth it. i think you'd be better off paying outright for vaccinations and neutering and then paying for insurance instead, which is usually less than £9.99 a month (mine is about £8 a month for each bunny with pet plan)

Thanks for your replies :) I was thinking the food or hay was very little for a month so it wasnt going to be a deciding factor, especially like you say it depends on if she actually likes it and it would probably last a week :lol: So possibly for a first year then but not after. To use the neuter discount I'll have to pay for a full year upfront anyway so theres £120 plus however much a spay will be :? She is quite tame so I could get her used to, well at least tolerate her nails cut by me lol. I'll look into insurance too then, thankyou! :D

Thanks for your replies :) I was thinking the food or hay was very little for a month so it wasnt going to be a deciding factor, especially like you say it depends on if she actually likes it and it would probably last a week :lol: So possibly for a first year then but not after. To use the neuter discount I'll have to pay for a full year upfront anyway so theres £120 plus however much a spay will be :? She is quite tame so I could get her used to, well at least tolerate her nails cut by me lol. I'll look into insurance too then, thankyou! :D

That's what a few folks I know do, use for the first year :D
Spaying depends place to place, around here it's around £65 - always more expensive for a lady too -fist shake-

Thing is these things are designed to go hand in hand with insurance so the total control just protection and these care check ups would be around 15-20?

Having said that I currently fork out £6 a month for it (though I'm going to change vet)!administration do quite like thebsecurity of knowing I do have some free check ups, dental and clipping plus vacs etc covered.

Really its whatever brings you peace of mind

Well I've rang a local vets whos an accredited small animal practice and she quoted £116 for a spay! she mentioned some extras in a care package, pain releif and fibre bond or something? so unless I find another good vets nearby I'll be just getting the spay and vaccs done I think although for the extra 60 ish for the year she can get a treatsize bag of hay a month and a pedicure lol.

I don't think it's worth it, no. Vaccs are £35 on average (I once got my two done for £15 each on a special offer though!), 20% off neutering is nice but realistically how much is that going to be? £10-£14?

Would be worth it for dental bunnies, with the 20% off dental treatments (but I bet there are clauses in that)

If you've got a vets 4 pets near you, their vac scheme is the best one. You pay £100 for lifetime vaccinations.

Yes, maybe the first year, but I personally wouldn't buy into all of it. I wouldn't touch Rearguard and I cut my own rabbits' nails and stuff, so as you say ... look into insurance :thumb:

Yes, maybe the first year, but I personally wouldn't buy into all of it. I wouldn't touch Rearguard and I cut my own rabbits' nails and stuff, so as you say ... look into insurance :thumb:
Yeah when I was searching for info on rearguard I found its not recommended so I wont be using it :)

I don't think it's worth it, no. Vaccs are £35 on average (I once got my two done for £15 each on a special offer though!), 20% off neutering is nice but realistically how much is that going to be? £10-£14?

Would be worth it for dental bunnies, with the 20% off dental treatments (but I bet there are clauses in that)

If you've got a vets 4 pets near you, their vac scheme is the best one. You pay £100 for lifetime vaccinations.

Thanks for the info! Vets4pets neuter 75, vaccs 50 so still cheaper even with the higher vaccs cost then will be cheaper for life after that :) Cant believe how much prices vary, even in the same area.

My girls are actually on it and I've found it fine. The food is Burgess so that is pretty good and it lasts a long while with the amounts they are allowed. So I do get the hay as well to give them a treat from their "regular" hay. And as Burgess is around £4 generally, that is practically half the price per month. I'd say it depends on if you are happy feeding burgess and if the other bits seem worthwhile to you. I find it easier for me to spread out the cost of vaccinations as our ccv/vets4pets is quite the distance away and I definitely don't trust that practice anymore!

I do still cut nails myself even though the vets is like a 5 minute drive away.

Back