• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Head tilts

I had a rabbit diagnosed with a stroke many years ago, it turned out to be EC once more information about EC became available :?

Like I said before I was only asking about headtilt treatment as I was just curious about what other vets/owners have done in the past. I am quite happy with the treatment my buns have had/ are having :D

Heres another question :lol:

Those that have been treated for headtilt, did it resolve itself or did some tilt always remain?

Tilly has a residual tilt because she went without treatment for so long, but she went from a 3-4 o'clock tilt, to a 1 o'clock tilt at her best.

Exactly Jane - and I'm afraid it just reinforces my view that stroke is more commonly misdiagnosed than exists in rabbits...I'm sure stroke is much better understood than ec by many generalist vets. I think a similar thing about floppy rabbit syndrome as well :oops:

I had a bunny fit with EC that I took to the emergency vets and they diagnosed FRS and offered pts as my only option :roll: Thankfully I took no notice and she lived for another year before a huge fit affected her swallowing reflex and she was unable to eat :( That was about 4 years ago

I had a rabbit diagnosed with a stroke many years ago, it turned out to be EC once more information about EC became available :?

Like I said before I was only asking about headtilt treatment as I was just curious about what other vets/owners have done in the past. I am quite happy with the treatment my buns have had/ are having :D

Heres another question :lol:

Those that have been treated for headtilt, did it resolve itself or did some tilt always remain?

i had both some still had slight tilt others no tilt at all after treatment ;)

Wesley was treated for suspected EC and had a tilt. He had antii nflammatory injection, baytril, panacur for 28 days and every three months for the rest of his life. He doesn't have a tilt now and appears to be fully recovered. The only thing which is still the same is that his right pupil does not respond and they said if he was an older bunny they would have suspected brain damage.

OK another question - if a bun is being treated to cover both bases of ec and infection, would you automatically panacur any in contact buns at the same time as well?

I have heard anecdotally that gentle bunny massage can help to improve head tilt after the acute phase has passed, as it can help the muscles to relax and realign themselves.

OK another question - if a bun is being treated to cover both bases of ec and infection, would you automatically panacur any in contact buns at the same time as well?

I always do so :)

Acupuncture can help as part of the treatment for the tilt too

xx

liveable with

Bunster had head tilt 3 times in his last 3 years of life, recovering over 2/3weeks each time. I'm not sure what the vet gave. But there was definitely a stress aspect, in that he recovered best when he had minimal interference with his routine and maximum freedom in the garden as opposed to containment in hutch/run.

Lots of luck with your bun.

Sara

This article by Dana Krempels suggests that ear infection is the most common cause:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/tilt.html

The article isn't particularly up to date, so thinking may have changed since it was published.

Doesn't EC tends to have other symptoms too, such as hind leg weakness, cataracts, urinary incontinence, etc.

Probably most people know this about my Kermit......he was left with quite a bad head tilt, but he managed to get about with it fine, he did have ALOT of rolling episodes for the first 6 months or so, but then coped fine and was a totally happy bunster.

Thanks for the hugs Jane :)

And, here is my angel baby :)
kermit04.jpg

This article by Dana Krempels suggests that ear infection is the most common cause:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/tilt.html

The article isn't particularly up to date, so thinking may have changed since it was published.

Doesn't EC tends to have other symptoms too, such as hind leg weakness, cataracts, urinary incontinence, etc.

A guy I know on another forum, who researches EC and works closely with many buns with EC and head tilt would agree that ear infection is the most common cause. He says that EC does not cause head tilt, but that it can compromise the immune system making a rabbit more prone to infections of all sorts. He also says that most vets diagnose EC and that many have rarely seen a genuine case of it. He says that it presents has left hind leg weakness first, but the only way to get a definitive diagnosis is during a post mortem.

With Till'ys head tilt we treated only for infection with her, nothing EC related.

Thank you, its all very interesting :)

Last question honest :lol: Those with buns with headtilts did any of you have them neutered after the headtilt developed?

2 of ours have been neutered and one hasn't at the moment

Tilly was spayed after her head tilt developed, and recently she had a dental under a GA.

She has been knocked sideways by it and as you would expect, after the GA, her head tilt was far worse and it was a battle to get her through her dental recovery. She needed higher pain medication than the average rabbit. She also got horrible gas (which I believe was a combination of pain and the added disorientation) afterwards.

Unfrtunately she was not with me when she was spayed, but I suspect she had an awful time recovering from it (she was still at the RSPCA, untreated at this point), but she did recover from it.

I've only come into contact once with head tilt - with a boarding bun. He was treated for ear infection & EC. He was only here 3 weeks, & I don't know how he is doing now. But you guys have just given me an ace idea:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Kermit wasnt neutered.

He developed head tilt at about 6months old.

He used to have panicked breathing episodes and used to get himself really worked up any time he went out the living room, so the vet thought that he would be far too weak to go under GA.

Titch had head tilt and was diagnosed with EC, put on a course of panacur and given an antibiotic.

He maintained a notable tilt which got worse when put under stress (e.g. going to the vet). He was left almost completely deaf and blind in one eye due to knocking his head at some point as he barrel rolled badly for the first couple of weeks.

He wasn't neutered and lived for three and a half years with it and coped very well. (I miss him very much :cry:)

Back