• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Head Tilt - Urgent

Charlotte333

Warren Scout
Hi Everyone:wave::wave:

I noticed this morning that my rabbit Smudge has got a head tilt. I've got an appointment at the vets at 4pm. What should I be asking them?

Many thanks.

Charlotte

Your vets will probably see a lot of rabbits with head tilt and should be able to help. It could be inner ear infection, EC, or but unlikely something worse. Hope he soon recovers.

I would be asking for a swab on the down ear, appropriate antibiotics (Baytril, etc, is not going to be effective). Some/Most people would suggest Fenbendazole but I would never bother.

You are likely to need to adjust the living environment depending on what symptoms you're seeing from your bunny, also, potentially diet too. Once your bunny is recovering them physio may be of use as may massages.

Also, likely being inside over winter will make it much easier for the bunny (if s/he is an outside bunny).

I would be asking for a swab on the down ear, appropriate antibiotics (Baytril, etc, is not going to be effective). Some/Most people would suggest Fenbendazole but I would never bother.

You are likely to need to adjust the living environment depending on what symptoms you're seeing from your bunny, also, potentially diet too. Once your bunny is recovering them physio may be of use as may massages.

Also, likely being inside over winter will make it much easier for the bunny (if s/he is an outside bunny).

Just to add to this, a non steroidal anti inflammatory eg Metacam should also be prescribed as it is inflammation within the CNS that causes the clinical symptoms. This is the case whether the tilt is EC related or bacterial infection related.

Good luck at the Vets.

Just to add to this, a non steroidal anti inflammatory eg Metacam should also be prescribed as it is inflammation within the CNS that causes the clinical symptoms. This is the case whether the tilt is EC related or bacterial infection related.

Good luck at the Vets.

Oh man. I knew I forgot something! That's what I would do too. Sorry for missing that out. Thanks for picking that up Jane.

Thanks everyone for their quick responses:wave::wave:

Should he have dog or cat metacam?

We're only prescribed dog Metacam for my bunnies. Cat Metacam is 1/3 the strength of dog Metacam so needs a dosage of three times as much to cover the same strength of dosing. If that makes sense.

What antibiotics should I ask for?

Swabbing the down ear (even if there are no visible signs of infection) and culturing it will give the answer for that.

Smudge is walking around in circles and falling over. How should I give him water? He is eating his pellets and greens.

Thanks everyone for their quick responses:wave::wave:

Should he have dog or cat metacam?

It doesn't matter - it's the same stuff, they are just different strengths.

Also, just be aware that depending on the severity of the symptoms and the diagnosis, some vets will start off prescribing steroids for the first few days/week or so. These cannot be used in conjunction with metacam, so don't panic too much if your vet says no to metacam because they are planning on giving steroids initially. It's a tricky balance, because steroids depress the immune system, so if the problem is caused by an infection it can make it worse (although antibiotic cover should help with this) but equally in severe cases, initial use of steroids seems to be helpful to get through the first few days. There's no straightforward right or wrong answer so I suspect you'd have to go with what your vet thinks best.

I'm not altogether against the use of baytril for ear infections and had very good results with it for Harry, but I did find it best to be given at high dose (think he was on 20mg/kg), injected once daily, rather than twice daily, and some savvy vets also give metronidazole as well, as the combination of the two antibiotics gives a very broad cover of different types of bacteria. Other options might be injectable penicillin or engemycin/terramycin LA.

If ec is suspected then panacur tends to be given as it can potentially kill/reduce the parasite, but the symptoms you see are caused by inflammation from the parasite which is why metacam/steroid is also given to try and reverse the symptoms - panacur alone will not do that. If ec is suspected, it is also recommended to treat all 'in contact' rabbits as it is shed in urine which means that other bunnies who munch on hay together with the poorly one are also at risk of picking it up.

Hope you get on ok at the vets and that your little one is ok x x

If he's eating then you can just soak his fresh in water if you're worried about his dehydration levels. Also, if he is looking dustressed you can use rolled towels, or similar, to help buffer him in place or provide a soft barrier around wherever he is pottering.

If he's struggling with falling over or starts rolling then metaclopramide or stemetil may help as they work on the balance centres of the brain and reduce nausea/vertigo symptoms.

Head Tilt

We had a bunny w/ head tilt. Our vet suspected "wry neck" which is neurological disorder. We used Prednisone and we think it helped. The problem is it will take time for recovery, and during that time you will need to provide basically 24x7 support. Holding him upright, feeding and watering by hand (syringe). We did this for our bunny and he recovered. It is a lot to go through, but for us it was worth it. Our bunny did have a permanent head tilt, but learned to live w/ it. He had other health issues, but was a fighter and lived for 7 years. We will keep you and your bun in our prayers. Don't hesitate getting him to the Vet, and I would recommend being aggressive in treatment. We were told by the first vet we say there was nothing we could do for him (old farm vet), luckily another vet in the same office who was a rabbit breeder, came to our rescue w/ a treatment plan.

If he's struggling with falling over or starts rolling then metaclopramide or stemetil may help as they work on the balance centres of the brain and reduce nausea/vertigo symptoms.

I think you maybe mean Meclazine as opposed to Metacloperamide which is a gut stimulant :wave:

How is bun doing?

Thank you to everyone for their help and comments:D

I've now gone into panic mode with Smudge. The vet wasn't rabbit savvy! He said straight away that it was probably EC. He has given Smudge an injection Colvasone (steroid) and a course of panacur for 9 days. The vet didn't appear to be familiar with doing panacar for 28 days. I mentioned an ear infection but he check Smudge's ears with a stephoscope and said everything is clear. He wouldn't prescribe antibiotics as he said it wasn't an infection. I find it very difficult to keep challenging vets. I've got a follow up appointment on Monday evening with a rabbit savvy vet who I feel more comfortable with but I'm not sure if I should wait that long.

Smudge appears to be eating but I've given him some water with a syringe and fibreplex. I've also covered his greens in water and put his pellets on a flat dish.

At the moment I've left him in his hutch with his friend Tilly. I want to bring them inside but Tilly is a chewer. Also I live in a one bedroom ground floor flat and I don't have much space. My sitting room is used by my three cats and hamster and I don't have any floor space in my bedroom.

Keeping them in the same place as usual will reduce stress. I think you've done all you can until Monday. I hope he's okay.

I think you maybe mean Meclazine as opposed to Metacloperamide which is a gut stimulant :wave:

How is bun doing?

Metoclopramide is correct too. While it is a gut stimulant indeed, its also an anti-emetic (nausea and dizziness treatment).

Metoclopramide is correct too. While it is a gut stimulant indeed, its also an anti-emetic (nausea and dizziness treatment).

Is it really? You learn something new every day!
Would you use it in a case of head tilt where the bun isnt in stasis though? Would using a gut stimulsnt when the gut is already moving not possibly cause painful cramps?
Just curious, I dont really know what Im talking about! ;)

Back