• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Head tilt.....advice please

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum, please excuse the question if its already been asked a number of times.

Toby is the sweetest little rabbit and has already had his fair share of problems as he only has one ear and has since I adopted him.
He now has head tilt, Cuniculi confirmed by vet.
He's on meds daily, Lapizole (Fenbendazole) & had a steroid injection initially. I'm keeping him in a small enclosure in the kitchen, padded with towels to stop him hurting himself and feeding him as often as I can. I've found it useful to dip his fav foods like carrot tops, broccoli in water prior to feeding so that he gets some water down at the same time.
I have two questions if anyone can help please. The first, he has been on meds now for 9 days and appears to be getting worse rather than better. His spinning and rolling have increased and this morning he just lay on his side for more than an hour before managing to right himself.
Is this normal, does it get worse before it gets better? It's so distressing to see him thrashing around and I hate seeing him so scared.
My other question is, he lived with 3 other rabbits as part of a bonded group and they all loved each other very much. Will they accept him back if he improves?
Thank you to everyone who reads this

Hello,

Firstly I'm sorry to hear Toby is poorly. It's so distressing for both bunny and owner.
I'm currently nursing Cookie through the same, only she developed GI STATIS also, meaning her guts stopped as well as loosing her balance exactly as you have mentioned above. Cookie was doing the same.
She is on panacur, fibreplex and metacam still. Was on zantac intitially to help with the guts also. Has become a model patient.

It certainly did in Cookies case get much worse, before it got better. I've been in tears on several occasions, and worried I wasn't doing right by her, or she was suffering. I would pick her up, for meds and her eyes would flicker, roll back and be floppy. I would put her down and she would also be fitting trying to get right again, it was awful.

I'm not a vet, or trained in anyway but it seems if you have the medication right they respond very well. Cookie is much better now, and is an older bunny at 8 years old but she get lots of TLC and will be fine. She lived in a large double hutch, but I have now bought her the biggest single hutch I can 7ft x 3ft so she will have more space to move around, as she won't be able to go up and down now.

So I wish you the best of luck, stay positive and Toby will pull through. Just please don't let yourself get upset. As my vet said, it's very dramtic and they do eventually adjust themselves.

Oh and if Toby currently drinks from a bottle, switch to a water bowl as that will make drinking water easier, and is more natural. Both of mine have always had waters bowls, changed twice daily and it's very cute listening to them slurping away.
Cucumber is also good for water, but only a little and stop if it causes the runs.

Cookie has also needed cleaning, due to balance and not being able to get around so I would also suggest getting a supply of cotton wool balls, baby wipes just incase.

Last edited:
Thanks for your message

Hello,

Firstly I'm sorry to hear Toby is poorly. It's so distressing for both bunny and owner.
I'm currently nursing Cookie through the same, only she developed GI STATIS also, meaning her guts stopped as well as loosing her balance exactly as you have mentioned above. Cookie was doing the same.
She is on panacur, fibreplex and metacam still. Was on zantac intitially to help with the guts also. Has become a model patient.

It certainly did in Cookies case get much worse, before it got better. I've been in tears on several occasions, and worried I wasn't doing right by her, or she was suffering. I would pick her up, for meds and her eyes would flicker, roll back and be floppy. I would put her down and she would also be fitting trying to get right again, it was awful.

I'm not a vet, or trained in anyway but it seems if you have the medication right they respond very well. Cookie is much better now, and is an older bunny at 8 years old but she get lots of TLC and will be fine. She lived in a large double hutch, but I have now bought her the biggest single hutch I can 7ft x 3ft so she will have more space to move around, as she won't be able to go up and down now.

So I wish you the best of luck, stay positive and Toby will pull through. Just please don't let yourself get upset. As my vet said, it's very dramtic and they do eventually adjust themselves.

Oh and if Toby currently drinks from a bottle, switch to a water bowl as that will make drinking water easier, and is more natural. Both of mine have always had waters bowls, changed twice daily and it's very cute listening to them slurping away.
Cucumber is also good for water, but only a little and stop if it causes the runs.

Cookie has also needed cleaning, due to balance and not being able to get around so I would also suggest getting a supply of cotton wool balls, baby wipes just incase.

Hi

Many thanks for your reply.

Like you I've always given my rabbits bowls and not bottles, Toby is having problems drinking and eating so helping as much as pos before going the syringe route as it stresses him so much. Also cleaning as he can't reach himself.
I think one of the saddest things is that I've only had him for 4mths; he came from rescue and was so happy in his little group of 4 rabbits, it was lovely to see them grooming and cuddled up together.

Its just the worst thing to see him falling and rolling, but thank you for your kind words and good luck with Cookie.

Back