• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay Type Identification ??

Glad I spotted this thread I have been madly pulling all of those bits out just in case they were harmful :roll: This last bale i have is rubbish and at £10 a go I was not impressed but if the buns can eat those bits then it doesn't really matter!

Having the long strands to chew might stop L+N eating their shed......... :?

:wave:

I would still remove those stalks. They could be anything really, even hemlock. Or they could be something that is just mildly toxic.

Stator said:
I would still remove those stalks. They could be anything really, even hemlock. Or they could be something that is just mildly toxic.

Up to you, all my Rabbits (35) have been eating it for over 2 weeks and they are all fine :)

Same here, mine (9) have been eating it for a few months now

I've recently bought a bale of hay that has lots of bits & bobs in it - dandelions, bramble type things plus stuff that looks alot like the stalky things in your pic - I'm not entirely sure what it is but my buns grab the little 'extra' bits first :)

I paid £7.25 I think it was - is that cheap? It recently went up from £5.50 :?

Plus would a farm really be selling hay that is potentially toxic to horses and cows and probably feeding it to their own animals?

I very much doubt it.. Hay fields are usually very well managed.
Sometimes when baled from the edges of the field the hay is a bit stalkier (if thats spelt right??)

Plus would a farm really be selling hay that is potentially toxic to horses and cows and probably feeding it to their own animals?

I'm sure they wouldn't on purpose but they don't have time to inspect every bale of hay. They just mow the fields and bale it up and sell it on.

99.99% of the time it is probably just a harmless weed. But who knows? If you don't know what it is, why take the risk?

I'm sure they wouldn't on purpose but they don't have time to inspect every bale of hay. They just mow the fields and bale it up and sell it on.

99.99% of the time it is probably just a harmless weed. But who knows? If you don't know what it is, why take the risk?

Do you know what EVERY strand of grass type is in your hay then :?

It looks like the stalky meadow hay I buy. I get mine online for approx 3.99 per bale. I buy in bulk for that deal of 10 bales at £39.99 inc tax and delivery. :)

Do you know what EVERY strand of grass type is in your hay then :?

Grass is grass. I'm talking about unknown weeds in the grass. If I see something and don't know what it is, I take it out. There could be stuff mixed in that I can't see, but can't do anything about that. You do what you can and hope for the best with the rest.

Back