• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay suggestions?

Sarah1991

Warren Veteran
I usually give my buns a big pile of hay morning and night from a big bale I get from a farm nearby. However, the last one I got was a little less ''crisp'' than the batch before and it seems quite dusty. I don't want to keep giving them something that isn't as good quality as I'd like it to be.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a BIG bag of hay that is good quality and has long thick stems in it? It has to be big as I use a LOT of hay, for the base of the enclosures!

I used to buy stuff from a pet shop but it was thin and wafery and basically not good quality at all...the farm stuff was great until this batch which seems less nice than before...

Is it just this bale that doesn't seem so good? I buy bales from the agricultural merchants and it's sold mainly to horsey people, it's really nice, I once did buy a bale and it wasn't so good, but it was just a rogue one, maybe if it's usually nice hay it's just a one off? I always have a good look at all the outside of the bale, smell at it, and pull a bit out of the middle and smell that too for any dust etc. If anyone saw me doing all that :oops: but I don't care, it's worth it. Can't help with recommendations I'm afraid, I use a lot of hay too, for the bunnies and goats, so I always buy baled.

Is it just this bale that doesn't seem so good? I buy bales from the agricultural merchants and it's sold mainly to horsey people, it's really nice, I once did buy a bale and it wasn't so good, but it was just a rogue one, maybe if it's usually nice hay it's just a one off? I always have a good look at all the outside of the bale, smell at it, and pull a bit out of the middle and smell that too for any dust etc. If anyone saw me doing all that :oops: but I don't care, it's worth it. Can't help with recommendations I'm afraid, I use a lot of hay too, for the bunnies and goats, so I always buy baled.

It does seem to be only this batch that is quite dusty. But I'm not sure if its still OK to feed? it doesn't have a bad smell to it. I keep it in one of these in the garden http://www.coopersofstortford.co.uk...rodst09030i/?gclid=CKTHyLi03b8CFeSWtAod6HoAlw

I'm also thinking is it the way I'm keeping? I don't know. Doesn't good quality hay have a lot of green stems? or am I wrong?

Hay can vary quite a lot in colour. The new crop round here seems to be a lot browner and stalkier than previous years as the grass went to seed earlier. The rabbits like it anyway.

The dustier bale might just be from being in storage from last year's crop. If you can shake it out a bit outside, you should still be able to use it. Just don't use any that has got wet or smells musty.

If you have a normally good source of hay, I would try there again - maybe explain about the dusty bale.

Hay can vary quite a lot in colour. The new crop round here seems to be a lot browner and stalkier than previous years as the grass went to seed earlier. The rabbits like it anyway.

The dustier bale might just be from being in storage from last year's crop. If you can shake it out a bit outside, you should still be able to use it. Just don't use any that has got wet or smells musty.

If you have a normally good source of hay, I would try there again - maybe explain about the dusty bale.

I'm more concerned that it might have gotton damp. The rain seems to stay out with this storage box I use but I don't think its 100% waterproof. Whenever I go in there to get any it is dry though.

Back