• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay bale

Alicia

Mama Doe
I’m considering buying a big plastic garden bin and keeping a bale of hay in it in the shed, is this likely to keep ok? Also I know every bale would vary but generally is it fairly good quality? I don’t want to upset my buns tums but I thought it would be a bit cheaper and I wouldn’t go through it all so quickly

Avoid keeping hay in plastic containers. The hay sweats and goes mouldy. Mould spores may not be obvious at first and feeding mouldy hay can make a Rabbit very ill

Hay bales are best stored on wooden slats to maximise air circulation.

Avoid keeping hay in plastic containers. The hay sweats and goes mouldy. Mould spores may not be obvious at first and feeding mouldy hay can make a Rabbit very ill

Hay bales are best stored on wooden slats to maximise air circulation.

This is how we keep our hay. It's in the rabbit shed, high up on a wide shelf made with wooden slats, and keeps very well.

I keep bales of hay in wheely bins. They need to be in a cooler, shady spot to stop it sweating (and then going moudy). I put the bales in hay bags before they go in the bin so it stops direct contact with the plastic and allows some breathability. Duvet covers would do the same job.

If you are keeping it in a shed, you coud just put a pallet down and store the hay in a duvet cover, maybe with a loose tarp on top.

Back