• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Having to rehome our babies

Those are the ones we were using and she had constant stasis! I did move to beaphar nature rabbit, but sadly they've been discontinued, which is a shame cos these were fab. We have now moved on to rosewoods meadow menu. Which they seem to be ok with. I think others on here recommend oxbow?

We also reduced their pellet allowance to 15g each a day. This made them eat way more hay!

Yes I tried it of our own accord because we were desperate to stop the stasis due to cost and our stress. Vets said there was nothing wrong with her. She had every test under the sun.

You could always try it and slowly phase greens slowly back in 1 at a time and see how she goes.

We’ve just ordered some Oxbow pellets and we’ll very gradually introduce these and hopefully that might make a difference. We’re gonna ditch the kale and spring greens and just stick to the herbs and reduce their portion down to hopefully encourage hay.

We really don’t want to rehome if there’s something that we can do to stop it happening - even if we get just a flare up once a year, it’s more manageable than three times in five months.
Thank you so much for your advice!

If she was mine, I would go down the route Omi suggested.
Back to basics and along the lines of what a wild rabbit would eat, which is lots of crude fibre in leaves & stems.
Reduce pellets. Cut out brassicas (at least for now), carrot & fruit - they can encourage gut issues in some rabbits.
Keep to green stuff - grass, hay, leaves & stems such as bramble, raspberry, strawberry, willow, dandelion, plus some herbs.
Foraged food is readily available now, so the food bill could go down.
Introduce new food slowly.

Really hope some dietary changes work & you get to keep your buns - you can see how important they are to you

Something else I would try is switching hay to hayandstraw.co.uk, I haven’t seen anyone else report of this but I know for sure that hay box seems too rich for some of the bunnies I have here. X

Back