• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Have you had a bun have a bad reaction to the mixo vacs

Have you had a bun have a bad reaction to the myxomatosis vaccination?

• Total voters
Thanks. She's still poorly and weak but has just eaten some parsley and a tiny piece of bread (her favourite norty treat) so that's encouraging :)

She was given a health check before the vaccination and seemed perfectly well, as she did on the other two occasions when she became poorly. The first time she became ill she collapsed and was paralysed for 5 days, and the vet thinks it was most probably due to e.cuniculi. It happened 24 hours after her myxi jab though- I suspect the stress of the vaccine was the finally trigger that brought on the e.c. She had been through alot of stresses in a short time- Rescued from poor conditions, rehomed twice, spayed, treated for a severy infestation of mites, introduced to other rabbits then finally the vaccine- a lot for a little bunny to cope with xx

I'm glad she's making a little progress Lilbun.
Yes it makes sense that that combination of stresses could compromise her immune system enough to allow viable EC to reactivate.
[When my bun had ileus for 36 hours he was given panacure prophyllactically for a week. Ileus had caused a fall in WBC. (positive titer 3 years previously but never clinical evidence of disease)

Danger warning - idea coming up. As stress can compromise the immune system quite markedly in buns. I wonder whether the vaccine might be less effective if given when buns have been under alot of stress? The vet can only assess physical fitness. Perhaps as owners we could plan immunisations to avoid times of heavy moult, & temp extreems etc?

To answer OP My bun has always had 6 monthly myxi immunization. We have to "go for it" when there is a window of opportunity between his monthly dentals & gut condition. He has never had an adverse reaction.

I'm glad she's making a little progress Lilbun.
Yes it makes sense that that combination of stresses could compromise her immune system enough to allow viable EC to reactivate.
[When my bun had ileus for 36 hours he was given panacure prophyllactically for a week. Ileus had caused a fall in WBC. (positive titer 3 years previously but never clinical evidence of disease)

Danger warning - idea coming up. As stress can compromise the immune system quite markedly in buns. I wonder whether the vaccine might be less effective if given when buns have been under alot of stress? The vet can only assess physical fitness. Perhaps as owners we could plan immunisations to avoid times of heavy moult, & temp extreems etc?

To answer OP My bun has always had 6 monthly myxi immunization. We have to "go for it" when there is a window of opportunity between his monthly dentals & gut condition. He has never had an adverse reaction.

I have been wondering whether moulting is a factor too- she didn't have any reaction to her previous vaccination in March. it's so difficult to avoid though as they all seem to have been in one long continual moult since April, although it is at a bit of a peak at present xx

Not yet, I only ever had 2 vaccinated buns though.
In Germany there's a different vaccine and a different vaccination pattern.
Rabbits are given a so-called "basic immunization" at 6 weeks old, then 4 weeks after that they receive a proper vaccination and then 6-monthly recalls.
Neither of mine has ever shown any adverse effect from the vaccine, not even lethargy.

Back