• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Harsh winter coming = I'm worrying!

marchi1990

Mama Doe
Apparently this winter is going to be a very harsh one with lots of snow coming next month.

So, can people please show me how they insulated their sheds? If you have photos that would be fantastic :thumb:

For the rabbits that have hutches I am looking into custom made covers. The hutch is 175cm long and I can't seem to find an already made one.

My shed is insulated with polystyrene sheeting from B&Q. It's just wedged inbetween the inner batons and it doesn't fall out. There is wire mesh over it at bunny height to stop them from nibbling it. I also have a tubular greenhouse heater in there which you can see right down at floor level.

Don't believe anything you read in the papers. They say the same thing every year :roll:

In fact, if memory serves me correctly I read a MET office piece recently which said that they can only accurately predict up to a week or so in advance.. let me see if I can find it.

eta: here we go - http://metofficenews.wordpress.com/2013/10/12/winter-forecasting-responding-to-the-headlines/

eta2: I've just pulled up bunnycam to see if I can get a shot of our insulation which I started adding with my Dad on Tuesday and I've just seen Rosie run up to Flymo, nick a piece of kale out of his mouth and run off :lol:

OK, so unfortunately the light in the shed went out just as I tried to get a screen capture :roll: but you can see we're using the reflective foil stuff:

insulation.jpg

We've started boarding it over with thin hardboard stuff (cheap and easy to replace) but unfortunately Homebase ran out of the size we were using so we've only got three quarters of the way around. I'm hoping to finish the walls off within the next week or so.

My shed isn't insulated at all. My husband did get some thin plywood sheets and put that around the bottom half of the one wall of the shed which cut out a fair bit of draught, but that's all. All the rabbits have is a snugglesafe at night in their bedchamber, which will be stuffed full of straw. There will also be an old piece of carpet in their bed chamber, on top of which will be a thick layer of newspaper and on top of that will be the straw. There will also be old carpet in the gound floor level of the hutch, covered by newspaper. Nothing else. No heating, nothing. Their water froze last year :shock: :lol: but they survived :thumb:

I have started putting polystyrene in our shed with mesh over it. Will probably finish off with the silver foil stuff all covered with cheap board. Thinking of putting vet bed in there for them as well.

Goin to bring the piggies in for the winter.

OK, so unfortunately the light in the shed went out just as I tried to get a screen capture :roll: but you can see we're using the reflective foil stuff:

insulation.jpg

We've started boarding it over with thin hardboard stuff (cheap and easy to replace) but unfortunately Homebase ran out of the size we were using so we've only got three quarters of the way around. I'm hoping to finish the walls off within the next week or so.

I love your bunny cam! I am going to try and convince my dad to install me one.

Yeah of course it needs to be covered to shop them chewing! But yours looks like what I will probably attempt.

My shed isn't insulated at all. My husband did get some thin plywood sheets and put that around the bottom half of the one wall of the shed which cut out a fair bit of draught, but that's all. All the rabbits have is a snugglesafe at night in their bedchamber, which will be stuffed full of straw. There will also be an old piece of carpet in their bed chamber, on top of which will be a thick layer of newspaper and on top of that will be the straw. There will also be old carpet in the gound floor level of the hutch, covered by newspaper. Nothing else. No heating, nothing. Their water froze last year :shock: :lol: but they survived :thumb:

My buns have been okay the past winters but when I heard 'harsh winter' I freaked!!! I will have to invest in more heat pads for them ...

I have started putting polystyrene in our shed with mesh over it. Will probably finish off with the silver foil stuff all covered with cheap board. Thinking of putting vet bed in there for them as well.

Goin to bring the piggies in for the winter.

Will the vet bed keep them warm? Most of Woody's shed has vet bed on the floor so hopefully that will keep him toastie. I will have to have a look in B&Q for prices of sheeting.

My shed is insulated with polystyrene sheeting from B&Q. It's just wedged inbetween the inner batons and it doesn't fall out. There is wire mesh over it at bunny height to stop them from nibbling it. I also have a tubular greenhouse heater in there which you can see right down at floor level.

:thumb:

I'd better get searching for sheeting prices!!

The previous people who lived in my house insulated the shed, which I didnt know till my Dad tried to put in a cat flap :) Very well made so we have been very lucky x It looks like pink polysyrene kinda stuff with more wood put in front of it x

We stapled foil backed bubble wrap stuff from B&Q to the shed walls and then nailed boarding on top. We did it at the weekend, and there is a noticeable difference. I will probably put a hutch in there over winter, stuffed to the ceiling with hay.

My two have a hutch that is kept in an uninsulated shed. This is the first winter I'll have had my buns but I have to say I don't really believe this winter is going to be any worse than any other, they do like to say the same thing every year, and I'm just going to give them lots of hay and leave them to it. :)

Ha! I worry about everything with my buns too!!! and winter, wind and rain have made me worry about the state of the shed. Mine isn't insulated at all, but the buns have survived each year so far!!! They don't seem to mind.

Plenty of good advice regarding insulation - all I'm going to add is try not to worry!

H :)

p.s. remember the times they have promised BBQ summers and they haven't happened!

My shed isn't insulated at all either.... they have a few beds filled with straw and i give them heat pads, but tbh they don't use the beds they just snuggle up on top shelf!

I think it makes a bit of difference I hope!

I'm more worried about the buns in hutch/run combos because the hutches seem more exposed to the weather. They were all custom built hutches by my dad so I cannot buy appropriate covers for them. I have looked into custom covers but they are sooooooo expensive!!

Back