• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Harry: Trying not to think about it...*UPDATE-NOT EATING**

Oh no a bit of a worry. Have you got any rabbit recovery food or vegetarian baby food to give him.

If he isn't eating in the morning he will need to go back to the vets. Sorry Harry isn't eating.

I haven't got any recovery food but I will double check re.baby food, there may be an odd jar left. The vet called us tonight and we explained he isn't eating... They said to call back if he is still not eating tomorrow. Is there anything else I should be doing for him? I've heard that a bunny in pain won't eat and that buns won't show any signs of pain... :shock:

I haven't got any recovery food but I will double check re.baby food, there may be an odd jar left. The vet called us tonight and we explained he isn't eating... They said to call back if he is still not eating tomorrow. Is there anything else I should be doing for him? I've heard that a bunny in pain won't eat and that buns won't show any signs of pain... :shock:

Sorry I am not the best with medical advice, I usually have to ask the forum. Do you know whether he got pain relief after his op ? I suppose now it doesn't matter and the most likely reason he isn't eating is pain.

You may have to spoon feed him soon. Water soaked oats or those wheat cereal bites, trying to think of the name or mashed banana.

I was frantic with my girl and she had to go back overnight. She recovered well, it these first 24 hours as they need food to keep the guts working. Wish I was better a advice.

Sorry I am not the best with medical advice, I usually have to ask the forum. Do you know whether he got pain relief after his op ? I suppose now it doesn't matter and the most likely reason he isn't eating is pain.

You may have to spoon feed him soon. Water soaked oats or those wheat cereal bites, trying to think of the name or mashed banana.

I was frantic with my girl and she had to go back overnight. She recovered well, it these first 24 hours as they need food to keep the guts working. Wish I was better a advice.

It means the world that you took the time to reply... I'm trying not to over react but I'm getting very nervous. I have some oats and some banana so I might try mixing some up for him... On the bill it lists pain relief... It was hubby who went to collect him as I waswith the children... Hubby thinks I should give him another hour as he has had a long drink but I think I need to move on this sooner. My poor boy... Wish he could tell me...

It means the world that you took the time to reply... I'm trying not to over react but I'm getting very nervous. I have some oats and some banana so I might try mixing some up for him... On the bill it lists pain relief... It was hubby who went to collect him as I waswith the children... Hubby thinks I should give him another hour as he has had a long drink but I think I need to move on this sooner. My poor boy... Wish he could tell me...

I know its not easy and I bet in a few days your cheeky boy will be running around, the worry is for now.

Pretty sure you need to soak the oats. I have not used them but see people here do. If you are really worried you could phone the emergency vets and get advice on what to feed and what to do. I wouldn't worry enough to take Harry tonight.

Keeping my fingers crossed he starts to eat.

that he is drinking is a really good sign . .

make sure he is warm as they cannot regulate their temperatures well after ops.

keep paying attention to him to make him feel 'here' - so that he doesnt just sleep and forget about eating and drinking.

Have you any way at all of getting some plain grass?? (I know its snowy but there must be some under the snow!)

I personally would absolutely panic until tomorrow morning - depending on which GA procedures they used it can make them feel to sleepy and out of it to eat for 12 hours or more.

PS if you do use oats - yes they should be soaked first - but I would pretty much bet that he would respond better to grass at first. Instinct takes over. fresh herbs would do - well washed if they have come in a plastic pack.

Last edited:
If you can find dandelions as well as some grass they're usually a hit with buns that won't eat. Hope he's munching again soon xx

Guys, I can't thank you enough. I know I'm just a born worrier but it's a relief to know people are there. :love:
I have given Harry a blanket to sit on as he seemed cooler, and checking closer to his skin, he still didn't feel all that warm...
I got in contact with Harry's previous mum and she suggested apple as it's his fav. I have only given him a thin slice but he couldn't resist! It's gone... But he's till hasn't touched pellets or hay - reluctant to give much more apple as I know this isn't great for buns tums and I don't want to add to the problem.

I keep checking on him, talkin to him and stroking his head, he's gotten up a couple of time to sniff the air and turn around on his bed bless him.

I'm going out now to pull up some grass from the garden now, the snow here isn't too bad so I'm sure I can pull up some clumps. :D

Thanks again everyone - from me and Harry.xxx

HARRY COULDN'T RESIST ZEE GRASS!!!!! It's not great grass :roll: and No dandilions out there... But he's nomming the grass! *victory dance* Good boy Haribo!!! That's my boy! Even Reggie is binkyin about... He knows mumma is happy! :lol: :love: :love:

Thank you everyone, so very much... Sorry for freakin out... :oops:

aw glad he's eating :)
It is such a worry when they have a spay/neuter.
Me and Ross tend to set up a recovery/hospital cage in the living room and sleep on the couch :)
They usually start eating properly in the am.
Willow really scared me when she was spayed as we had to syringe recovery food into her and she was really cold, we had 2 snugglesafes and a hot water bottle and fleecey blankets for her and a heater!!
The next morning she was up bright as a button begging for some dill!!!
*phew*
And I'm just back from my friends house, her bunny stopped eating so we popped over and gave him some recovery food and helped her give him his meds.
He's still not right but is better it'll be vets tomorrow for the wee guy.
I :love: the name Haribo!!!!!
:)

So pleased he started eating. How is Harry this morning ?

Hmmm... I'm not 100% happy... He's staying in tonight (can't bear to send him out there in this weather the way things are) and going into vets for check up tomorrow. When I came home not many pellets were gone, but he's never been great on pellets according to his previous mummy... There are a few poos in the cage and a little water has gone; I popped him on his back to take a look at how things are healing and one side looks swollen whist the other is erm... flat... ?? He is only my second male bunny, Buddy my rainbow bun was my first but I don't remember anything like that with him. :shock:

At least he is eating something. I don't know about the swelling and the flat part. All my males came to me already neutered and I never saw my chinchillas.

If you are worried you could always put up a thread in the health section. Afraid I am not much help.

The swelling may be a haematoma or a reaction to sutures. It would be a good idea to get the Vet to take a look at him tomorrow :)

Thanks for replying guys... I just feel heavy with worry... Someone in work asked me if I was ok today and I tried to explain about Harry but they just got that glazed look... He has an appointmet at 5.50 tomorrow... But if work is snowed off (it's coming down out there) I'm ringing and asking to go in earlier... Will get there somehow... I just feel a bit out of my depth and don't really know what I'm doing/looking for... :oops: Harry is an outdoor, wildy type of bun and I really don't think he likes that he's inside with us... He really isn't impressed but I daren't put him out in that tonight... :( I guess I'm just going to have to see what tomorrow brings.

Back