• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Happy Hutch Quote Opinions Please

Whoo hoo, just made a purchase.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....ksid=p3907.m29&_trkparms=algo=LVI&its=I&otn=2

I wanted a double decker hutch with a run at the side of it. So I've bought the above, my existing Happy Hutch (from hutch/run combo) will sit on top of it and even I should be able to cobble together a decent run for the end of the ground floor.

*It's sooo exciting*

Nice idea, good luck!

Im looking for the new year.....Just want something that will last me!

When I was looking for a hutch everyone advised me against Happy Hutch because of the poor quality of the workmanship and also the poor attitude of the staff as regards animal welfare!

My rabbit got taken from a happy hutch by a fox, i emailed them to ask if they would *consider* switching to stronger wire mesh in future and they didn't even bother to reply.:cry:

You can't beat Dawson's. John makes whatever you want, delivers it and sets it all up for you and my hutches are everso strong.
I had a happy hutch 2 tier that I sent to the tip a couple of weeks ago. I had it 18 months and it all split as it was made from ply wood and when the rain came, that was it!

Would strongly recommend looking for one made from wood rather than ply wood especially for outside - unless you are going to cover it.

Bobbin

You can't beat Dawson's. John makes whatever you want, delivers it and sets it all up for you and my hutches are everso strong.
I had a happy hutch 2 tier that I sent to the tip a couple of weeks ago. I had it 18 months and it all split as it was made from ply wood and when the rain came, that was it!

Would strongly recommend looking for one made from wood rather than ply wood especially for outside - unless you are going to cover it.

Bobbin

You have any pics?

Yeah im going to ring Dawsons tomorrow!

This is one of ours all cleaned out whilst buns are in runs:) , but he will make them however you want them and can do them with split doors rather than one big long one. As per my PM we've just ordered another 3 blocks like this plus a single. His runs are great too:)
HHNewHutchsmall.jpg

sorry for hijack but how do the dawsons hutches compare to ryedale SECURITY/fox proof wise, as this is my main concern here. A single 6ft x 2ft ryedale with under run 6ft x 6ft would cost me £340 ish, how do the dawson prices compare?

Poor Clutterydrawer's experience has seriously put me off HH.

Last edited:
sorry for hijack but how do the dawsons hutches compare to ryedale SECURITY/fox proof wise, as this is my main concern here. A single 6ft x 2ft ryedale with under run 6ft x 6ft would cost me £340 ish, how do the dawson prices compare?

Obviously i dont know about security etc.

But i think Dawsons are slightly cheaper?

May be worth a phone call!

I will be ordering mine in the New Year, if we cant persuade his Grandad to build us some more!

This is one of ours all cleaned out whilst buns are in runs:) , but he will make them however you want them and can do them with split doors rather than one big long one. As per my PM we've just ordered another 3 blocks like this plus a single. His runs are great too:)
HHNewHutchsmall.jpg

I really like that.
Thats what i want i think.

If OH's Grandad wont do it, which is understandable. Will DEF be ordering one of these

Obviously i dont know about security etc.

But i think Dawsons are slightly cheaper?

May be worth a phone call!

I will be ordering mine in the New Year, if we cant persuade his Grandad to build us some more!

Well the furries can't go out until spring now so I'm using this time to consider all options and to make sure I'm 100% happy. I just wish our foxes would **** off, it would make our lives so much easier! Could you buy his grandad an extra special christmas pressie? :D

Do Dawsons add big bolts if you ask them? I can't see any on that hutch. I know you can put them on yourself, but my Ryedale hutch got some really massive bolts for only 5 Pounds extra, I think. They are much nicer than the smaller ones that we put onto our happy hutch.
Ryedale are probably more expensive, because they use thicker and stronger wood. They are very heavy and come ready built. It was very tricky to carry ours through the house into the garden.

Well the furries can't go out until spring now so I'm using this time to consider all options and to make sure I'm 100% happy. I just wish our foxes would **** off, it would make our lives so much easier! Could you buy his grandad an extra special christmas pressie? :D

I have considered that! Our double 7x2x2 cost us a bottle of whisky.
This time im going to offer to pay him for doing it.
:)

I have considered that! Our double 7x2x2 cost us a bottle of whisky.
This time im going to offer to pay him for doing it.
:)

The hutches Anth's grandad built are fantastic - I reckon it would be worth bribing him with more whiskey for him to build you more!!!

The hutches Anth's grandad built are fantastic - I reckon it would be worth bribing him with more whiskey for him to build you more!!!

I know, thats why id like him to build us more and obviously there was no great cost involved.

There such good quality and perfect size etc!

*Im praying he will*

:D

Do Dawsons add big bolts if you ask them? I can't see any on that hutch.

John will add bolts if you ask him too but on ours you have the wooden turn key that secures both doors and dont think they show up very well but there are some rock solid silver metal locks on all the doors that even us have trouble turning sometimes let alone a fox - although we dont get them where we are.

Poor Clutterydrawer's experience has seriously put me off HH.

Lisa give John a call and discuss your concerns, he will custom make to your exact requirements. All I can say is they are an excellent solid hutch equally on par with Ryedale quality IMO

A 6x2 with a 6x3 run is £200 from Dawsons

Back