• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hamster help please :(

This thread has made me laugh as it has reminded me of the conversation between my Niece and I as I tried to explain to her that the massive lumps on her little hamster were boy's bits, she just couldn't believe that something so small had boy's bits so large :lol::lol:

This thread has made me laugh as it has reminded me of the conversation between my Niece and I as I tried to explain to her that the massive lumps on her little hamster were boy's bits, she just couldn't believe that something so small had boy's bits so large :lol::lol:

:lol: This reminded me, my brother and I were touching our syrians tails once and my older sister (she was 16 or 17 at the time) was saying thats gross and we were like whats gross about touching their tails? She thought that their tails were actually their penis :shock::shock::lol:

Hybrid hammies?!:shock: how so? If they're half hamster half bunny then I'll be very happy!:lol: pictures are a must!!

:wave: Winter White and Russian. They're able to have babies, despite being different species. Unfortunately that means WW now are prone to diabetes too since they're hybridized with Russians. Now unless you get a WW from a reputable breeder you can't know whether you've got a hybrid or pure blood, even if they look completely WW or completely Russian.

Phew.... I thought maybe Oscar was short of a couple of plums. :lol::lol::lol:

Is Bumble a sapphire do you know? There was a little sapphire girl when we got Oscar and she was a very pretty colour. :love:

Bumble is normal, but Bee is Saphire. :love: They're both gorgeous.

William, I read up on it, and I thought that they added the Campbell's to the WW to try to get more colours. If the only colours that were there were normal WW colours (normal, Sapphire and pearl) is it likely that they're hybrids?:(. We're in the UK so it might be done to less of a degree. :?

I'm not really sure of the reason anyone would want to breed the two together.:? Aren't they perfect on their own, without tampering?:(

Yeah, I don't know why anyone would either. But hybrid or not, my Moe was amazing (he was from Petsmart so he likely had some Russian in him). Clingy and loyal and affectionate :D Those are usual characteristics of WW, I've heard.

http://hamster.etla.org/cgi-bin/topic_show.pl?tid=1652 According to this it was done for color and also by accident. 90% in the UK are hybrids according the article, so it seems its just as bad in America as it is in the UK. The article is probably right, I've heard the same thing on my ham forum. :( Its a shame. I wish the two species weren't able to breed.

I just went to have a look at Bumble and Bee (you know....just in case they wanted to tell me that they were living a lie:roll:;)) and oh my goodness....

They ARE living a lie!:shock: just not in the way I was thinking!

Bumble and Bee are both boys!!! :shock. (thankfully no giant testicles...just *ahem*"hole" distances.)

William - do the dwarves have different names over there? I thought that there are two types of Russian dwarf - the Winter White and the Campbell & a hybrid is a cross between the two (but you keep referring to Russians & WW's)

I think it was purely to get 'pretty colours' but then of course you also get the health problems associated with both types.

Also, the lady we got Oscar from said that Campbells usually get on better together than WW's, but are more likely to nip their owner. Whereas WW's are more likely to fall out but less prone to nipping. Combine the two and you probably get the worst features of both species rolled into one.

She also said that breeders were travelling from Holland/Sweden etc for her dwarves because it's so hard to find pure lines anywhere now - lots of them are hybrids.

Ali, I still need photos of your girls/boys (lucky you didn't give them really girly names :shock::lol:)

William - do the dwarves have different names over there? I thought that there are two types of Russian dwarf - the Winter White and the Campbell & a hybrid is a cross between the two (but you keep referring to Russians & WW's)

No, the only difference in names that I know of is Americans tend to call them Russian Campbell's when its really Campbell's Russian. :lol: Because Campbell is the one who found them, so they're HIS, doesn't make sense the other way around. Though, when abbreviating, RC looks better than CR somehow...

Campbell's Russian- Phodopus campbelli
Winter White- Phodopus sungorus

^ Thats what i mean when I say WW or Russian. WW (to me) is just another species of dwarf, like Robo (or Chinese... they're still small, even if they aren't in the same genus as the other dwarfs :p ) and there being only one Russian (campbelli).

Thats what i mean when I say WW or Russian. WW (to me) is just another species of dwarf, like Robo (or Chinese... they're still small, even if they aren't in the same genus as the other dwarfs :p ) and there being only one Russian (campbelli).

Thanks for explaining. :) But the winter white is also russian, no? That's why I'm confused. :? Oscar is a winter white russian dwarf.

Thanks for explaining. :) But the winter white is also russian, no? That's why I'm confused. :? Oscar is a winter white russian dwarf.

Oscar is just a winter white dwarf, not russian. Maybe some in the UK say winter white russian, I just haven't seen it on a ham forum I hang out on (has members from many countries).

Oscar is just a winter white dwarf, not russian. Maybe some in the UK say winter white russian, I just haven't seen it on a ham forum I hang out on (has members from many countries).

If you google Russian Dwarf hamster, most results (well,the first page at least as I couldn't be bothered to look further :lol:) say that Campbell's and Winter Whites are both Russians. ;) Hamster Central has sub-forums for each type and they refer to WW's as russians too.

Still, it's not important - I shalll just bear in mind that you mean Campbell's when you say Russian. ;):D

Must be a name difference then. Hamster Central is UK based, I believe? Hamster Hideout is the ham forum I go on- its US based so I guess UK members must find it easier to say what everyone else is saying and thats why I never see winter white russian. Or people are simply abbreviating?

Was checking on him 2night and his bum? Maybe or his *bits* are SERIOUSLY* swollen as in I'm not sure what it is but under his tail and theres 2 lumps they are really big seriously dragging behind him :( what cud this be?

if its a he it could be his testicles. i have this one my hamster too.

Back