• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hal-Picked Up By His Ears By His Breeder........

There seems to be general knowledge around some less-experienced people that rabbits are "supposed" to be taken up by their ears:shock: Either that or by their neck, which could case damage to their muscles.
One argument I heard from that was apparently a breeder had once said "baby rabbits are to be picked up by the skin on their neck, just like lion-mom does". That might be I would have said, if I had met this person. Lions pick their cubs up like that, but since when have you ever seen a mother-rabbit carry her young?:evil:

They're not made to be picked up, wheter by ears or by the neck. :evil:

One of the girls that was brought back to me was lifted by her ears by her previous owner :evil: Shes accepted nose rubs from me from day one, shes very trusting bless her, but she still runs away when you try to pick her up :evil:

Some people!!!

Its rewarding when they learn to trust you isn't it Jane, Hal's a very lucky bun

My Vet was telling me that a couple of weeks ago there was an article in one of the Veterinary Magazines about the 'safe' handling of Rabbits. Whilst it obviously did *not* advocate picking a Bun up by the ears the article did say it was ok to 'scruff' a Rabbit .............:shock: :? :cry:

I have not seen the article myself yet so dont know the exact wording. But I cant think of any circumstances whereby I would 'scruff' a Bun :? :?

Janex

I can't believe people would pick rabbits up by their ears but I think that's maybe what's happened with Apache as well. If you touch his ears he flattens and starts grinding his teeth :?

:cry: :cry: Its so hard to imagine anyone believing thats okay or painless for a bunny. I'm so glad Hal and Apache are both now safe.

He looks so much like Dennis! :wave:

My orange rex is the most extrovert bunny I've ever owned!:lol: But interestingly he IS funny about being approached from the front or touched on the head as if he doesn't see me straight away maybe... :?

Back