• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grumpy and the wussbag

Fatfish

Young Bun
Hi all,

Having successfully bonded several pairs of rabbits over the years I am disappointed to be struggling with my latest effort. I have two female Rex rabbits, roughly the same age and very similar in personality. They are both very friendly to humans, inquisitive, lively buns and their first meeting at the rescue centre was very promising largely indifferent with occasional sniffing. They have been living side by side in separate cages for almost two weeks, sharing an exercise area at separate times and I have begun sneaking small bits of each others dirty bedding in to the others cage.

I tried them with a meeting in the bathroom which went quite catastrophically wrong. With no indication of aggression Ivy (new bun) leaped at Olive (old bun) and a big fight broke out which took me about 5 seconds to break up. Olive came away with a little cut and Ivy with an inexplicable limp which cleared up over night. Now Olive is totally stressing when Ivy comes near her cage and Ivy will dive at her bars when Olive comes by boxing at her.

Is this a very bad sign? Can this be salvaged?

Are they both spayed? If so were they spayed more than 6 weeks ago? if not they may still be hormonal.

They are both spayed, but Ivy is just about 4 weeks post op, you can still see baldish spots on her tummy. Could this be the source of her aggression to Olive? That would be a comfort! I don't mind taking my time to bond them, they have separate cages, a bit inconvenient but not a big deal. I just hate how little exercise time they get because they have to take turns! Ivy is super inquisitive and friendly but she is much less likely to settle down to a good nose rub than Olive (who will lie and be fussed all afternoon!) and the energy and appetite she has! Are these are signs of a rabbit with hormones intact(ish)?

Hi all,

I'm two weeks on and I still need advice! The girls have had a little more time together and no more than a nip has occurred but still no signs of great friendship developing.

The trouble is Ivy is a very hyperactive bun, I think that maybe the rescue centre got her age wrong and she might be a bit of a "teenager". There is boundless energy, monstrous appetite and a tendency to give every thing a little taste (including me!). The little nips aren't painful as such but they most definitely account for Olive's extreme nervousness around her. She's also a bit prone to leaving little puddles ever where that smell very strong despite her drinking very well. Is this territory marking? She is not in the smallest nervous of the humans, she loves cambering all over us and thoroughly investigating us. She's at the very least 6 weeks post op now and she's estimated to be 1 year old.

Should I hold off any further bonding attempts until Ivy has calmed down a bit? Does any one have any tips for this situation?

She is an absolute delight, a real cutie who is very loved, but I would really like to move this bonding forward for poor Olives sake.

Back