• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grief after having rabbit pts

Andyb14

New Kit
Hi everyone, I'm a new member and not even sure if will ever have a rabbit again, but over the years have used this site for advice and help whenever our gorgeous boy was poorly or not himself. He was 11 years old, we had him from the age of 3 as he was in a playschool but was a bit neglected and not handled the best so we took him in. I never thought a rabbit could bring so much joy. What a personality, he would watch TV with us, investigate things be a little terror sometimes but the most caring and soft rabbit you could ever meet. Unfortunately over the years he had a few illnesses, suffered with gut stasis most years when he was moulting but we got him through everything. Lately he had stopped using his litter tray, he was slow at getting around and we just felt his quality of life had deteriorated, then just this week he had a horrible thing where he couldn't stop his head from turning left. Constantly just kept turning, we felt so sorry for him so put his favourite Teddy next to his head and that stopped it turning. I've made this story a lot shorter than it could have been but we took the awful decision that the kindest thing to do was to have him pts. The feeling of sadness is just unbearable, it all went so lovely in that the sun was shining we had cuddles all morning and he ate as much of his treats as he could, he actually stopped eating them out of choice which was a first. This was all yesterday and I hate going into the kitchen where his cage was where he slept at night, there is just an empty space there. I feel we have made the right decision but the feelings of sadness and guilt say otherwise. It honestly feels or seems to feel harder than when have lost a human that I know. I know that sounds not right but when you spend so much time with your beloved pet everyday and tend to their needs I think you can feel like this. Anyway thanks for reading and selfishly it feels better to have written some of it down.

So very sorry you're posting in such sad circumstances. It sounds like your bunny had a wonderful life and letting them go can be the hardest thing, even though we know it's the right thing for them.

Grief brings all kinds of feelings and it's all a part of that grieving process. I'm glad that writing some of it down has been therapeutic for you... and it's not selfish at all.

We have a Rainbow Bridge forum if you would like to post a tribute to your much loved rabbit. There's a sticky at the top of that forum with some info/links on dealing with grief if you feel you need some extra support. I think pretty much everyone here will have experienced loss too, so we're all here for you too.

I am so sorry for your loss 😢 The loss of a much loved Rabbit is so painful. You obviously gave your Rabbit a very loving home for many years and you have also shown great selflessness in making the decision to let him go, even if that decision has caused you immense sadness. When we really love our Rabbits we put their needs before our own, that is what you have done.

There is no right or wrong way to grieve. Some people might be unable to understand how the loss of a Rabbit can be just as devastating as the loss of a human family member. But speaking for myself, I certainly understand that. My ‘soul Rabbit’ Inspector Morse died 10 years ago. The grief and loss I feel remains the same. I have just learned ways to live with the pain. I can now remember all the happy times we shared, not just the moment he died. But in my experience time does not heal all wounds, the passing of time just gives us the chance to find ways of coping.

Im glad you have posted about your bunny. I am so sorry for your loss. It does sound as though you made the right decision for him, although obviously this is very distressing for you. He sounds to have had a long life full of love and care.

Sleep tight little bunny.

So very sorry you're posting in such sad circumstances. It sounds like your bunny had a wonderful life and letting them go can be the hardest thing, even though we know it's the right thing for them.

Grief brings all kinds of feelings and it's all a part of that grieving process. I'm glad that writing some of it down has been therapeutic for you... and it's not selfish at all.

We have a Rainbow Bridge forum if you would like to post a tribute to your much loved rabbit. There's a sticky at the top of that forum with some info/links on dealing with grief if you feel you need some extra support. I think pretty much everyone here will have experienced loss too, so we're all here for you too.
Thankyou very much, I will have a look at that

I am so sorry for your loss 😢 The loss of a much loved Rabbit is so painful. You obviously gave your Rabbit a very loving home for many years and you have also shown great selflessness in making the decision to let him go, even if that decision has caused you immense sadness. When we really love our Rabbits we put their needs before our own, that is what you have done.

There is no right or wrong way to grieve. Some people might be unable to understand how the loss of a Rabbit can be just as devastating as the loss of a human family member. But speaking for myself, I certainly understand that. My ‘soul Rabbit’ Inspector Morse died 10 years ago. The grief and loss I feel remains the same. I have just learned ways to live with the pain. I can now remember all the happy times we shared, not just the moment he died. But in my experience time does not heal all wounds, the passing of time just gives us the chance to find ways of coping.
I understand we have to go through the grief and one day I really hope we can smile again and remember all the good times with him. Thankyou for your reply. And I'm so glad that you can look back on happy memories

Im glad you have posted about your bunny. I am so sorry for your loss. It does sound as though you made the right decision for him, although obviously this is very distressing for you. He sounds to have had a long life full of love and care.

Sleep tight little bunny.
Thankyou ☺️

I'm so sorry you lost your much loved rabbit friend :( I'm glad you feel a tad better for writing about him. I hope in time those 8 years of wonderful memories will come to the fore as your grief lessens. It sounds like you made the best decisions for him from the moment you took him out of that school right up to his peaceful ending. These decisions are never easy though. Take care of yourself & do what you need to to get through this extremely difficult time

I am so sorry for your loss. He was a lucky bunny to get the great care from you that enabled him to have such a great life. Sending you my deepesr condola ces on the loss of your bunny.

I'm so sorry you lost your much loved rabbit friend :( I'm glad you feel a tad better for writing about him. I hope in time those 8 years of wonderful memories will come to the fore as your grief lessens. It sounds like you made the best decisions for him from the moment you took him out of that school right up to his peaceful ending. These decisions are never easy though. Take care of yourself & do what you need to to get through this extremely difficult time
Thanks so much. Just taking each day at a time 🙏

Back