• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Gracie is dead ... joined 8 days later by Daisy. RIP

I know I haven't really been around of late but I am so sorry to read this. :( I know nothing will make it better but know that I understand how you feel.

Thinking of you.

Thanks again for the support. M&TM, so sorry your words of wisdom are borne from experience. It's just horrendous losing one after another so young. The average age of my nine at the bridge is only about 3 years. I keep reading posts on FB etc saying with the right care the average age for rabbits is ten. .. no, it's not the average, it's a good age if they are not afflicted with anything horrible in the meantime. Rudy is on borrowed time yet Gracie was really strong - how on earth has he managed to outlive her?

Thanks again for the support. M&TM, so sorry your words of wisdom are borne from experience. It's just horrendous losing one after another so young. The average age of my nine at the bridge is only about 3 years. I keep reading posts on FB etc saying with the right care the average age for rabbits is ten. .. no, it's not the average, it's a good age if they are not afflicted with anything horrible in the meantime. Rudy is on borrowed time yet Gracie was really strong - how on earth has he managed to outlive her?

I completely agree with what you're saying. 3 is about the average age of my 8 at the bridge too. :cry: It really is heartbreaking and makes us wonder what we could possibly be doing wrong. In reality though we aren't doing anything wrong. It's a string of bad luck and it really isn't fair. Rabbits can get so many problems, it breaks my heart. When I lost Jasper he too was very strong, Mischief was my poorly bun and he outlived 2 of my 'strong' buns. It's so hard and I wouldn't wish it on any bunny owner. I really hope you are doing okay. Sending vibes for Rudy xx

I completely agree with what you're saying. 3 is about the average age of my 8 at the bridge too. :cry: It really is heartbreaking and makes us wonder what we could possibly be doing wrong. In reality though we aren't doing anything wrong. It's a string of bad luck and it really isn't fair. Rabbits can get so many problems, it breaks my heart. When I lost Jasper he too was very strong, Mischief was my poorly bun and he outlived 2 of my 'strong' buns. It's so hard and I wouldn't wish it on any bunny owner. I really hope you are doing okay. Sending vibes for Rudy xx

Thanks. It's a really hard loss to come to terms with. She seemed to be recovering then didn't. I really can't comprehend.

I've just lost another rabbit this evening... another 'stasis' episode that was surgical. Not really sure what was wrong but not repairable. Adhesions, internal bleeding, possibly twisted gut... I guess I'll get a better explanation tomorrow but I'm beyond numb right now.

RIP Daisy ... one year old, we tried so hard to save you but it wasn't to be.

Thanks. It's a really hard loss to come to terms with. She seemed to be recovering then didn't. I really can't comprehend.

I've just lost another rabbit this evening... another 'stasis' episode that was surgical. Not really sure what was wrong but not repairable. Adhesions, internal bleeding, possibly twisted gut... I guess I'll get a better explanation tomorrow but I'm beyond numb right now.

Heartbreaking, I'm so sorry. :cry:

So sorry :(

I am so sorry for the loss of your cuddle bunny and your Daisy. Whatever caused their stasis must have been very aggressive to have been so resistant to the efforts you and your vet took to remedy the issue. Sending you gentle hugs.

Oh gosh, I'm so very sorry you've had to say goodbye to Daisy. How tragic. :cry:
There aren't words to help with this, but you are in my thoughts and comforting vibes are being sent.
Binky free, Daisy. xxxx

I cant believe it :shock: :cry:

How utterly devastating for you :cry:

I wish there were words more adequate than 'I am sorry'............................. :cry:

RIP Daisy xx

Oh no :cry: I am so very sorry :cry: thinking of you and sending hugs xx

Binky free Daisy xx

Such sad news BB, thinking of you. Sleep tight Daisy in the knowledge you were a much loved bunny

Thanks for the kind words everybody. I'm still numb over this. I don't want to collect her as then it will be real. My head says I need to ring anytime for my 'update' as was the original plan when I left her and it didn't seem serious. She had a blood glucose of 14.2 at 5pm then about 90 minutes later the reading had gone down to about 7 yet her stomach on x-ray didn't seem any different. then over the course of the next couple of hours her stomach got bigger til there was a significant risk of it bursting and she was taken into surgery. I didn't hear much beyond 'adhesions' as she was spayed only 23 days ago and I can't help but make a connection... my assumption is that the adhesions have happened since the spay then 'strangled' her intestine. I haven't had that suggested or confirmed but it just seems the most logical scenario. if that's true then that's then two rabbits I've lost through spaying them within 4 months... :cry:

Back