• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Good enough bunny mummy?

I do worry all the time. He lives on his own and I let him have treats and things. Yesterday he bit me but he was frightened and I scoped him up and gave him a cuddle and he fell asleep in my arms. My poor baby boy came to live with me at 4 months old and usually I clean up his cage when he is running around my bedroom and floor when he is in bed. Yesterday I was tired and I started to clean his pen when he was still running around and he ran over growling and attacked the brush. I thought he was playing but he did it again and so I shut myself in the pen. I then noticed he was getting anxious that I was there without him so opened it up he ran in there bit the brush and the bit my back. I felt awful because I carried on stupidly why didn't I stop when he first attacked? Why didn't I realise how distressed he was? I shouldn't have placed him in that position. I didn't know what to do but pick him up and cuddle him. Today he has been helping me sort out in my room and is back to his adorable self. But I have moments when I think why did I get him? I love him though I know that.

I clean him daily and he has good quality food and veg from the garden. I just think that he may be better off without me maybe somewhere where there is space for a friend.

Please don't worry. Rabbits get very territorial about their area - whether its their hutch or play pen. When you're cleaning it out - even though you're doing a nice good thing - they want to defend it!! He doesn't mean to hurt you. Has he been neutured yet? That will seriously help! xxx

thoughts do go through head sometimes that my rabbits would be much happier in another home :oops: but to be honest i can tell Crystal and Simba are Happy im just not sure if Honey is :? shes a nervous rabbit and always bites when i pick her up :cry: but she'll always let my sister cuddle her :shock: but then again my sister doesnt cut Honeys nails or take her to the horrible vets to get injections and neutered :roll:

I'm sure Honey will come round soon. I know a lot of members here have rabbits that started out as biters but then as they learned to trust turned into be soppy fluffsters. Louise&gus and Chloaster can give you good tips on this. I've been really lucky so far and none of my buns have been biters.

He is 6 and a half months old and has never growled or bitten me. I get in his pen with him and stroke him in his cage. My dogs get in his pen (when I am there) and he is not fussed, not even the parrot bothers him .

My mum picked the dustpan and brush up when he was on my lap and he hid and starting shaking. This leads me to believe that someone has frightened him with it before me.

I am not planing on castrating because me and the vet feel it's unecessary, he just isn't territorial and loves being carried around. He happily lies on his back for a tummy tickle :lol: and to have his nails clipped. I will castrate if he does show signs of being territorial. If the only thing he hates is me having the dustpan and brush out then I think I am a very lucky lady.

I don't blame him for bitting he was visibly anxious. We haven't had the pen up today as we have being filling paper work and sorting through suitcases. He has had a wonderful day running through everything like a crazy bunny.

My boy Benny hates the dustpan and brush, and in fact all brushes, with a passion - I think it's normal :) Here's a piccy of him playing his favourite game called 'KILL THE BRUSH'

P1010018.jpg

My unspayed girls aren't at all territorial but they all look at the brush I'm holding as if it's something dangerous - they don't realise I'm using it for a tool - they think it works all by itself so it has to be treated with suspicion if not hatred - funny bunnies :shock: I've heard of other people being attacked when brushing up too, so I usually put the brush down, let them have a sniff of it, then carry on sweeping after they wander off again.

Last edited:
How funny! Mine are usually very interested in brushes, try to sniff them, but don't attack. They just like to sit in the way so that I can't brush up where I want to. :rolleyes:

Benny is gorgeous!! I love his paw on the brush...."you're not using it mummy":lol: :lol: Mine don't attack the dust pan and brush they're used to it. They do like chinning it but then at the minute they chin everything..!! Frasier even wee'd on it once:roll: :lol: :lol:

Fur brushing none of them are wild about but will tolerate it. On hot days Darcy really seems to understand it more which is good. I do the same as Bavbun and when they get too suspicious of the brush I put it down on the floor so they can sniff it and play with it for a while...then I come back and use and they seem more relaxed with it..:D

Back