• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Good enough bunny mummy?

You've always come across to me as a very committed bunny mum :D But, like me, you're probably a worrier :oops:

I know deep down that I'm a good mum to Rosie (currently looking for a husbun before anyone asks ;) :lol: ) but it doesn't stop me worrying if I'm doing things correctly.

I think that the fact that you're on here stressing about being a good mum definitely means that you are :D

Think of all the people who keep a rabbit in a tiny hutch and don't give them hay or any stimulation or look after them properly - in other words, the kind of people who are very unlikely to post on a forum like this because they just don't care that much - they are the people who need to be questioning themselves :rolleyes:

It's sort of reassuring to read how other people doubt themselves sometimes, too...

When I sit and think logically, I know I do everything for my two that I can. and I do sometimes think about how many rabbits are left in a hutch that isn't big enough all day, without human or bunny companionship... But I still occasionally doubt myself. Luckily, at times like that I can take my sorry self out to the bunnies and both are very licky. Barney tries to draw me into the hutch with him so we can groom 'properly'. :roll: Which reassures me quite a bit.

You've always come across to me as a very committed bunny mum :D But, like me, you're probably a worrier :oops:

I know deep down that I'm a good mum to Rosie (currently looking for a husbun before anyone asks ;) :lol: ) but it doesn't stop me worrying if I'm doing things correctly.

I think that the fact that you're on here stressing about being a good mum definitely means that you are :D

Think of all the people who keep a rabbit in a tiny hutch and don't give them hay or any stimulation or look after them properly - in other words, the kind of people who are very unlikely to post on a forum like this because they just don't care that much - they are the people who need to be questioning themselves :rolleyes:

Couldn't have put it better myself!:D

I couldn't have said it better! :D I think everyone worries that they're not doing a good job of caring for their animals at some point (I know I do: I was stressing about Jen and Frankie not getting enough exercise today whilst it was chucking it down... I had to remind myself that I can't control the weather :roll: ) but the fact that you do assess the level of care you give your animals is proof in itself that you obviously are a very caring and considerate owner x

Does anyone else have un-pick-up-able buns?

I cant pick Buu up :D Not even the vet can pick Buu up :shock: :lol: I have to take along a piece of vetbed and me and the vet sit on the floor, and she gets examined on the floor :D And I have to bribe her to lay down do check her bum. She is very stroppy and gets in a mood over the smallest thing like if I stop at Trip and Scarlett first on the way outside :roll: :lol: She has been treated exactly the same as my other buns though so she is just a stroppy madam. I love her to bits and wouldnt change any of her personalty though.

:lol: :lol:

Just read through this thread again and realised how depressing we all sound!

I know :lol: :oops:

I also have rabbits that hate being handled :roll: Two of them don't like being nose rubbed or stroked either. I was just cleaning out and Rubix doesn't like the hay in his hutch being touched and likes to flatten it out with his feet. I touched his hay and got hit with his two front feet and grunted at :lol: Then when I opened the bedroom area door he thumped at me because he wanted to eat his hay in private :shock: :lol: Good job I love him :D

I've been feeling really bad about one of mine - Crunchie. I've only had her since January, and during that time she's turned into a beast :cry:

She was quite poorly when I got her (she was starving and dehydrated), but was fairly friendly and placid at first.

Over the past few months she's become almost unhandleable. She growls and leaps at me trying to bite me. If I pick her up she bites me (hard) until I put her down. Plus she HATES all my other rabbits with a passion.

I constantly wonder why she's become so evil. I hope it's just because she's returned to perfect health and is showing her true character, but I suspect it's just because she hates me for giving her medication and having her spayed :cry: .

Amy

I feel like that most of the time. It doesnt help that i have depression and an anxiety disorder. I feel guilty over many of my buns death, especially Lillians :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: I feel i could have done so much more for my buns

My rabbits ( except Blue) all hate being handled, so I don't unless it's neede. My Bluey Boy went into a trance during his vet visit :rolleyes: :lol: The vet looked amazed at him saying that he was very relaxed even though I had just got him and brought him to the vets. SOME of my bunnies like having nose rubs and head scritches but only if theyw ant them, even Asbeau will let me sometimes :shock:
I started to actually belive that I was an ok bunny mummy when the vet sadi they were amazed how well Basil was two months after being so ill, theys aid I must look after them really well :D ( even the receptionists and vet nurse was suprised :lol: )
I reckon everyone here is a fantastic bunny mummy and should never doubt themselves.
Aslong as your bunny(s) are happy, healthy and hopping about, it shows you are a good bunny mummy :)

This thread has really got people opening up! I'm sure you are all great bunny mummys and thank you for sharing with me. Its made me feel a lot better. The dreaded d and anxiety just takes hold sometimes...:(

Lillian - I'm sorry about your bun Lillian xx

My two boys, Darcy and Frasier are the best ones for a cuddle. I think naturally all rabbits prefer snuggles and grooming on the floor at their level as it must be scary coming up to our height and being a prey animal by nature. Beatrix loves a cuddle now and then but not all the time. Annie gets very nervous but then calms down and seems to enjoy it. I don't force cuddles on them but if I really need a cuddle I will pick up Darcy or Frasier as they like it the most.

I don't think anyone on this forum is an "animal collector" thank heavens. Like has already been said in this thread, an AC would prob never use a forum or ask advice about their buns. I really should be more careful about the stuff I read on the internet late at night...its just asking for anxiety attack.

Oh
I fogot to say BinkyBun,
I think you are a fantastic bunny mummy,
i think your bunnies are so lucky :)
so don't worry sweetie, I can just tell from the siggie pics that your bunnies are happy bunsters :)

I admit I worry about Murray and Honey all the time. I worry about when it rains, they get sad and fed up, and I worry that they are happy and healthy. But, with regular checks at the vet, if I wasn't doing a good job I'm sure he'd say by now.

I think it's natural, if you care for something or someone you worry about them. It's the same for family members and friends. But the only difference is bunnies can't tell you when something is wrong straight away :cry: we just have to make sure we're alert for these things if they arise.

All we can do is love them and ensure they have all they need and know they are loved and cared for :love:

If I carry on much longer I'm going to start to cry! ;)

I admit I worry about Murray and Honey all the time. I worry about when it rains, they get sad and fed up, and I worry that they are happy and healthy. But, with regular checks at the vet, if I wasn't doing a good job I'm sure he'd say by now.

I think it's natural, if you care for something or someone you worry about them. It's the same for family members and friends. But the only difference is bunnies can't tell you when something is wrong straight away :cry: we just have to make sure we're alert for these things if they arise.

All we can do is love them and ensure they have all they need and know they are loved and cared for :love:

If I carry on much longer I'm going to start to cry! ;)

Quick, think of Simon Cowell!!!! :D

My bunnies are not much into cuddling and being picked up, either. Snoopy does not even want his noserubs. And Luna has become a bit shy, because she knows that I have to catch her to give her the panacur. Pete is the easiest to carry, he feels like a little human baby.

I do worry about whether I am a good bunny mummy!!:lol: But then I think, that they are an integral part of my life, fed the best, cleaned, go to the vets when needed and most important they are loved, they are my babies.. not toys to be pulled and pushed about, they are respected as individuals, so if they don't want to be fussed over they aren't! I believe that everyone on here must really love their pets, after all you wouldn't be on this forum if you didn't!!;) :lol:

thoughts do go through head sometimes that my rabbits would be much happier in another home :oops: but to be honest i can tell Crystal and Simba are Happy im just not sure if Honey is :? shes a nervous rabbit and always bites when i pick her up :cry: but she'll always let my sister cuddle her :shock: but then again my sister doesnt cut Honeys nails or take her to the horrible vets to get injections and neutered :roll:

I do worry all the time. He lives on his own and I let him have treats and things. Yesterday he bit me but he was frightened and I scoped him up and gave him a cuddle and he fell asleep in my arms. My poor baby boy came to live with me at 4 months old and usually I clean up his cage when he is running around my bedroom and floor when he is in bed. Yesterday I was tired and I started to clean his pen when he was still running around and he ran over growling and attacked the brush. I thought he was playing but he did it again and so I shut myself in the pen. I then noticed he was getting anxious that I was there without him so opened it up he ran in there bit the brush and the bit my back. I felt awful because I carried on stupidly why didn't I stop when he first attacked? Why didn't I realise how distressed he was? I shouldn't have placed him in that position. I didn't know what to do but pick him up and cuddle him. Today he has been helping me sort out in my room and is back to his adorable self. But I have moments when I think why did I get him? I love him though I know that.

I clean him daily and he has good quality food and veg from the garden. I just think that he may be better off without me maybe somewhere where there is space for a friend.

Back