• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Giving medicine to a rabbit who hates being handled

Buka

Warren Scout
Hi all,

Flopsy is going to be spayed in January and I know I’ll have to be giving her her pain medication after the surgery. She hates being handled and runs off if I try to catch her. It’s always very stressful when I do have to pick her up (which is very rare). I’m worried that syringe feeding her the medicine after the surgery will cause her loads of stress :(

Is there anything I can do to make this easier? Any tips?

Thank you

Both my rabbits love their pain meds. But if you have a bit of time then I'd get hold of a syringe and tiny amounts of something like puree, even mix with a little water to dilute a little more, and practise offering it to her to lap from the syringe. No handling needed, just offer and wait for her to explore it. If you can get her used to taking stuff from syringes beforehand then she's likely just to take it by herself.
I used to fill the hole in a raspberry with metacam til I realised they would just take it anyway, so if she likes raspberries then that's worth a short, just make sure it's only one a day though.
Just practise feeding her from your hand and syringes as much as possible between now and then.

That’s such a good idea! I didn’t think of that. I’ll try offering her some mashed banana in a syringe maybe for now. She is fine being fed by hand but she won’t let me catch her / pet her etc.

Thank you :)

Some bunnies feel much more secure in a burrito if they are being fed CC so you could practice bunny burritos (search youtube if you haven't heard of them, its a way of wrapping your rabbit - mine love it but my vets have all the skills, I've only ever been able to do my boy).

If its just pain relief, likely metacam, i put it on a malted shreddie

A practice run is a great idea. Sending positive vibes for her surgery. I recommend having tempting foods-greens/herbs, available after surgery.

All I can add is to catch her and give her her meds with confidence and a really kind and upbeat voice. A bit like when kids trip over and they’re not hurt, but will cry unless you say the “oopsie daisy,that naughty step made you trip”, voice, if that makes sense? I talk constantly with buns who struggle, in an animated way and do find it helps. Essentially you’re not making a big deal of it, which means you don’t pass on your anxiety about them being upset.

Hi, what about putting on some banana or pellets? It was the only way I could get Bella to take hers. It was impossible to get the syringe in. I think vets can give by injection form if all else fails. I hope you manage to get something sorted xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back