• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Giant REW in Pets at Home Wakefield UPDATE Still there *cry*

Its not the rabbits fault its in P@H! and it is in adoption . . though I know thats just another term for 'quick sale' in their minds! If you leave it there it will just go to someone who ends up giving it to rescue.

Its not the rabbits fault its in P@H! and it is in adoption . . though I know thats just another term for 'quick sale' in their minds! If you leave it there it will just go to someone who ends up giving it to rescue.

Apparently P@H get no money from the fee paid for the adoption. There was a thread about this before and someone who worked there posted. Don't know if this applies to animals which have become too old to sell though. I know my local P@H sometimes shows rabbits from a local rescue. :D

What's up with pets at home? We got Joe from the adoption bit in there, from the York branch, although the Wakey one is our local. he was in there because he was a bit older because they couldn't sell him as he'd had a respiratory problem due to being allergic to woodshavings - well thats what they told us anyway :roll: .... They seemed really responsible and gave us loads of bunny advice and i would have got another bun from there with no hesitation, we got Jess from somewhere else though because PAH didn't have any female buns in stock at the time. Is there something i should know?

Last edited:
The animals in the adoption centre are either ones from local rescues (well, they are up here) or shop animals which have developed illnesses and had to be taken away from the others. Some are put in the adoption bit because they're 'too old to sell' i.e past the cute stage, and that :censored: me off.

Pets at home get a bad press on here a lot of the time. Branches are different and some are providing better standards for their animals than others. Personally I think it's unfair to tar all stores with the same brush, if you see a problem in a store (not enough hay etc) it's easy enough to report it, and some shops take good care of their animals. I know a few people on here work at P@H and I can't see a true rabbit lover letting the animals under their care down.

If you're satisfied with the care of the buns and the information you got from pets at home, by all means go back. The poor buns in the adoption centre often get overlooked because they're too big or have had things wrong with them. And as I said, P@H don't make any money from the adoption.

What's up with pets at home? We got Joe from the adoption bit in there, from the York branch, although the Wakey one is our local. he was in there because he was a bit older because they couldn't sell him as he'd had a respiratory problem due to being allergic to woodshavings - well thats what they told us anyway :roll: .... They seemed really responsible and gave us loads of bunny advice and i would have got another bun from there with no hesitation, we got Jess from somewhere else though because PAH didn't have any female buns in stock at the time. Is there something i should know?

Last time I went into the Wakefield pets at home I was told all of their rabbits come from one big breeder who has all of the animal species they sell there. I've seen rabbits way under 8 weeks old in there looking a mess too.

Last time I went into the Wakefield pets at home I was told all of their rabbits come from one big breeder who has all of the animal species they sell there. I've seen rabbits way under 8 weeks old in there looking a mess too.

Sorry if I'm confusing people - I was referring to animals in the adoption centre as opposed to the ones being sold 'as new'. I personally would never buy a rabbit from P@H as it's just encouraging breeding which isn't needed, but a lot of people are not aware of this when they get a pet so sadly it continues.

Sorry if I'm confusing people - I was referring to animals in the adoption centre as opposed to the ones being sold 'as new'. I personally would never buy a rabbit from P@H as it's just encouraging breeding which isn't needed, but a lot of people are not aware of this when they get a pet so sadly it continues.

I know, it was a previous poster that asked what was wrong with P@H in general :)

The poor bun is still there :cry: It was having its third offer of a home this week when I was there but they changed their minds as soon as they mentioned the medical condition. Apparently bun needs to go once a month the vets. I was under the impression this was a snuffles bun but maybe it's something else?

I felt so sad for him :(

The sales guy was telling them they could order giants in and how much they were, when he had gone I spoke to them and told them about RR. Hope they don't go back to PAH :(

Is he still there ? does anyone know what he has wrong with him? snuffles can be treated as can teeth problems.

He is still there.

When I spoke to them the lady didn't seem to know exactly what was wrong, I said was it dental, she said no, I asked if it was snuffles, she said it was something to do with his breathing. He is having ongoing treatment and apparently needs to go to the vet monthly.

The one good thing coming out of this is it's stopping PAH stocking anymore giants. The staff seem to care about him and he does look happy enough. Poor little mite :( I would have him if I had the room :(

I may have room for him but would need to isolate him from my 2 as snuffles, I will see what I can do , wakefield is 15 mins away from us

I may have room for him but would need to isolate him from my 2 as snuffles, I will see what I can do , wakefield is 15 mins away from us

He's a huge bunny so would need to be a free range house bunny or have a huge shed/run set up. I'm not 100% sure it is snuffles to be honest, the staff didn't seem to know either! It's just what it sounded like to me.

Probably a good vet will be able to diagnose and sort out - I have adopted in the past from PAH and what they say is 'wrong' with the bun is rarely what is actually wrong. (if anything!)

Probably a good vet will be able to diagnose and sort out - I have adopted in the past from PAH and what they say is 'wrong' with the bun is rarely what is actually wrong. (if anything!)

That's exactly what I thought, and to be honest, none of the staff seemed to know what was actually wrong with him anyway, poor thing :(

awwww i hope he gets a good home, large breeds are getting popular now and once they babies people want them i got 2 male french lops and i though i would have to sell untill some talking on here to try bonding them so i got them neutured.

if someone could get some picutres of him lol that would be nice dont get court out. :D

I stole my first bun from p@h She was brought from them and kept in a 3ft hutch:censored:. They dumped her on the cash register top and asked for a refund. They wouldn't giver her one but said she could swap it for a small one if she wished she agreed. So i then jumped in and gave the lady £30 for the little bun, Scooped up lady bun and legged it out of the shop before they knew it.:lol:
Someone is offering a 6 month old giant conti in the local paper for £60:censored: i hate that.:cry: poor bun.

Back