• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

GI Statis again-UPDATE-LUMP-possible tumour-Review at vets

Goodness I am sorry your Bun has this problem :cry:
It sounds exactly the same scenario as a few Does I had (many years ago) who developed adhesions after a spay.
After 3 Does having 'corrective surgery' and not surviving :cry: I did not have surgery on the last affected Doe

GI surgery on Rabbits has a very poor success rate. The intestines often stop working and cant be restarted :cry: Also opening up the abdomen again just restarts the laying down of adhesions process so the problem is likely to recur a few months later (as it did with 3 of my affected Does :cry: )

I wish you and your Bun well whatever you decide

Janex

Hi Jane

Sorry but - what are adhesions? Thanks for your reply. How old were your Does that you had operated on? Did they not survive the sedation? Or was it the operation? Touch wood - we haven't had any GI stasis since August & i have been giving her pineapple tablets. And the vet said that the lump was unrelated to the GI statis - it was just that the vet found it because she stopped eating.

I would feel so awful though if i left it & she became ill - but at the moment if you saw her - she is perfectly healthy & acting normally.

I just don't know whether to go for it or not.

:cry:

Michelle&Holly

oh that is a tough one :( *HUUUGGGSSSSSSSS*
id have no idea what to do so i would definatly let the vet guide me, i thought she was getting ill quite often but if shes not id be tempted to bury my head in the sand and hope it sorts itself out...

oh that is a tough one :( *HUUUGGGSSSSSSSS*
id have no idea what to do so i would definatly let the vet guide me, i thought she was getting ill quite often but if shes not id be tempted to bury my head in the sand and hope it sorts itself out...

She's had GI stasis twice - which we went to the vets for & then she was getting again over August bank holiday - but i managed to give her some infacol & within a couple of hours she was okay again.

the lump isn't causing her to be ill - its just that when she got GI Stasis the vet was feeling her tummy & found this lump.

If it were cancer i don't know if she would show any sort of symptoms?

its so hard - she's my little baby & i don't know what to do for the best. If only bunnies could tell us if they were in pain.

:cry:

They don't get full blown cancer aged 2 - I don't think you have a very rabbit savvy vet to be honest - if he can't even do a spay properly :shock:

Adhesions are something caused when the intestines are handled to much during surgery - preferably the vet should irrigate the abdominal cavity with water so it minimises the risk. When it's bruised, the gut wall gets a thickening which can stick to the other loops of gut around it - which is why it's so important to get a rabbit eating after surgery, as food passing through will break down adhesions before they solidify. Once they are solid the gut is basically welded together, so usually the rabbit dies as the gut will tear once food starts passing through again - it's very rare for a rabbit to survive surgery on the intestines.

well from what elve has said.... if it is that Adhesions and she hasnt died maybe its best left alone if its not causing trouble.... maybe keep an eye on its size and if it grows then worry about it.....

Well just to update you all a bit further.

I went to the vet on thursday to discuss the findings of Holly's ultrasound. I have decided for the time being to leave Holly & weigh her each week as she is happy and healthy. Obviously if there were any signs she were in pain i would take her straight to the vet.

i don't want to have her operated on & end up cutting her life short when she could have lived a lot longer.

I hope any of you don't think i've made the wrong decision. It is just so hard to decide.

Thanks for all your support & kind messages - i really appreciate it

Luv from
Michelle&Hollyxxxx

Well just to update you all a bit further.

I went to the vet on thursday to discuss the findings of Holly's ultrasound. I have decided for the time being to leave Holly & weigh her each week as she is happy and healthy. Obviously if there were any signs she were in pain i would take her straight to the vet.

i don't want to have her operated on & end up cutting her life short when she could have lived a lot longer.

I hope any of you don't think i've made the wrong decision. It is just so hard to decide.

Thanks for all your support & kind messages - i really appreciate it

Luv from
Michelle&Hollyxxxx

I think you have made the *right* decision

Nose-rubs to little Holly

Janex :D

I think you have made the *right* decision

Nose-rubs to little Holly

Janex :D

Thanks Jane - its just so hard to know what to do for the best - you have a life in your hands. Don't want her to suffer but don't want to regret my decision.

She has a weight chart on the fridge so i can keep track everyweek - like weightwatchers really! But no diet.

She's all bald bless her - she probably has a really cold tummy where they shaved her so she has mountains of hay to keep her warm.

Maybe i should knit her a jumper!

:wave:

Thanks Jane - its just so hard to know what to do for the best - you have a life in your hands. Don't want her to suffer but don't want to regret my decision.

She has a weight chart on the fridge so i can keep track everyweek - like weightwatchers really! But no diet.

She's all bald bless her - she probably has a really cold tummy where they shaved her so she has mountains of hay to keep her warm.

Maybe i should knit her a jumper!

:wave:

Awwww bless her!!
You could get some Vetbed for her and a Snuggle-Safe for any really chilly nights

Janex

Awwww bless her!!
You could get some Vetbed for her and a Snuggle-Safe for any really chilly nights

Janex

I've got some vetbed - didn't think about that - DOH!

Whats snugglesafe? is that the microwavable heat pad?

i've made her a little den surrounded by hay in her hutch.

If not just smuggle her past my dad and tuck her up in my bed!

:D

:wave: hi wow this sounds sooo familiar!! You were lucky..my little gal bif went through this and she was out cold for an xray but they wantedto do an ultrasound on her AWAKE and held down by two nurses for about an hour!!:shock: :censored:
they told me her lump wasnt fully visible but very palpable..they said it was cylindrical and presumed it was cancer of the cervix..there has to be some tissue left after a spay to hold the tissues remaining in place..and they re ckoned it was cancer of the cervix. They told me that just before xmas i think last year..i was devastated.
they didnt even give her a blood test for goodness sake..well she had stasis after stasis and overloeads of soft poos too..they gave her a dental reluctanctly in jan and then sai oh shes not eating again..its the cancer..its not worth the money blood tsting her etc..wait until shes not eating at all and if she gets worse then its time to do the kindest thing..pts!!
At the ned of my tether i sought a second opinion form a vet who is an exotics vet...he was very good and said these were the tests needed for her and theyd cost this much..and he said id get them cheaper at another vets..luckily his wife worked there!
so i went to his wife at this other vets and shes a bun vet too. Bif didnt have cancer..the lump was caused by two or things together she said...the over production of soft poos leads to gi stasis combined with moulting etc...the inflammation of the mucus meambranes form bout after bout of stasis and tummy upsets was causng a sweeling appropriate to a lump. however i had been tretaing her as her hubby advised...protexin bio lapis every day for 3 weeks and syringed pineapple juice ( not from concentrate) changed her hay and reduced her dried food..in fact i stopped it all toghether for a weke or so too.
Petra our vet sent her to the hospital for an xray..blood works and belive it or not..a dental..the other vets had done the wrong side:evil: :evil: :censored: :censored:
she had tiny spurs on the other side so she did those too at the same time...

her bloods came back and it wasnt cancer..but she did have elevated liver levels but petra thouht it wasnt serious and was porbably stress from being there that day( bif has he bunny equivalnet of human post traumatic stress disorder)
bif had a 10% positive for EC result.

she gets problems with her tummy daily and its a real chore and when it ends up as stasis i panic as its what killed her soulmate oscar.

the lump reappears from time to time...lquid parafin can be used if its a small hairball but if its with stasis its not a good idea as water cannt soften it then to pass. I gave her the holland and barrett pineaple ills but found after that they had sugar in them! so i used up what we had and then ordered some form hay experts i think it was..the oxbow onesbut they dont like them a smuch as their pineapple sweeties..cor them holland and barratt ones smell lurvely!!
Did your vet tell you about a product called protexin fibreplex? its a carot flavoured paste in its own special syringe..and you give it every day for about 2 days then its all gone..its wonderful..we kept bif on it for two tubes to help with the lump and tummy slow down...its fantasitc.also get some bio lapis for the water or putting on food...btw please dont change food over too quickly..10 days to 2 weeks is the norm...altering the amounts of both daily till you end up with the right amount!
bif put on sooo much weight with ss..i changed to excle but she didnt want to know and it made her tum much worse. so i changed it over to allan and age pellets..and shes not gained any weight since but shes not lost any...but bertie has..hes back donw to what he was when i got him! the allan andage pellets have protexin probiotics inthem anyway so i cant lose!
plenty of infacol when the pain is bad..btw did the vet give bun any pain relief..like rimadyl..never metaam when stasis is involved tho..make sit worse. bifs lump is a combo of hairbal and tummy inflammation...she also has metaclopramide from time to time to give it a kick start too.

as for the cold tummy yes id say the snuggle safe but some buns dont like em as theyre so hard..but at least it keeps near by them warm.
also trek round ebay for thermal blankets etc and vet bed.i use the doginn for profleece which is likevet bed but cheaper..it comes in nicer colurs too:lol:
i got a roll r thermal blanketing from them for £25 and i have cut it into many diff sized bits for the rottie crate..bif n berties under the coffeee table bed..for the littlebandit himself and the cats and ive got some left over which imusing in the cariers..
lol my daughters 23 and she never wants kids..she hasher furry ones!:lol:

my mum treats them like they were grandchildren/great granchildren!:lol:

seek out a rabbit savvy vet PLEASE!! if id have listened to our old vet..bif would have been dead for many many months now:( :censored:

Back