• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Getting over GI stasis - how long?

UPDATE! He's coming around from the anesthetic! :D And wobbling all over the place apparently bless him. The vet said the op went well - he had lots of little things going on at the back, not as bad as ulcerations but certainly enough to be painful and she thinks it's definitely enough to bring on stasis, so hopefully the cause has been fixed! I can go and get him at 5pm, aftercare will be Metacam (dog), renitadine and syringe food. I can't wait to have him back here! Excited for him to feel lots better too :) :) xx

UPDATE! He's coming around from the anesthetic! :D And wobbling all over the place apparently bless him. The vet said the op went well - he had lots of little things going on at the back, not as bad as ulcerations but certainly enough to be painful and she thinks it's definitely enough to bring on stasis, so hopefully the cause has been fixed! I can go and get him at 5pm, aftercare will be Metacam (dog), renitadine and syringe food. I can't wait to have him back here! Excited for him to feel lots better too :) :) xx

Oh bless him ! I'm so glad to hear that he is through the op' and waking up well. If a bit wobbly, but that's normal. Hopefully once he has fully recovered from the GA he'll be feeling so much more comfortable. He may not be 100% back to normal initially. Not only will he be groggy tonight he may also still feel a bit wary about eating hard food for a day or so. Once he realises it doesn't hurt to do so any more his eating and poo output should gradually improve.

Glad it went well, and I'm sorry I missed this before! Same happened with my bun a few weeks ago, but he's made a full recovery after his first dental (he's 7) :) Sonic was quite wobbly for most of the evening, poor boy was desperate to wash his face, but couldn't hold himself up on his back legs! He had spurs that had rubbed on his tongue, and seemed to like cold, soft veg straight out of the fridge, I imagine it felt quite soothing and it also helped him keep hydrated.

I'm sure he'll make a full recovery and I hope it's quick!

Hi thank you all! Billy is still super wobbly, he was really panicking when he got back because he couldn't walk, so was trying to run away and then rolling over. So we've had him on the bed with us for a few hours with him resting against us so he stays the right way up. He's calmed down now and seems very sleepy. He keeps lolling to one side if we don't prop him up. I've put some wet kale in front of him and he perked up when he smelt it :) He's been chewing on it for a while now bless him. Also I held him in his 'sitting up' position with a water bowl in front of him and he drank some :) At the moment he's just started eating another leaf whilst laying down. Feeling positive, just wondering how long it takes for this stuff to wear off!!?

Hi thank you all! Billy is still super wobbly, he was really panicking when he got back because he couldn't walk, so was trying to run away and then rolling over. So we've had him on the bed with us for a few hours with him resting against us so he stays the right way up. He's calmed down now and seems very sleepy. He keeps lolling to one side if we don't prop him up. I've put some wet kale in front of him and he perked up when he smelt it :) He's been chewing on it for a while now bless him. Also I held him in his 'sitting up' position with a water bowl in front of him and he drank some :) At the moment he's just started eating another leaf whilst laying down. Feeling positive, just wondering how long it takes for this stuff to wear off!!?

Sonic came round from GA about 2.30pm, came home at 4.30pm, but he wasn't moving quite 'normally' even when we got him out at 8am the next morning. He was hopping around, but it just looked like his legs looked a bit heavier than usual! It'll be different for everybun though :) It's good that he's drinking and nibbling!

I'm so glad you took the plunge and did it, Elaine :D

He will feel much better very soon, I'm sure :D

Loads of vibes for his recovery xx

It varies from Rabbit to Rabbit and depends on lots of things including age, weight and overall health of the Rabbit. How's he doing this morning ?

Well last night he went from being dopey but happy and nibbling kale to suddenly looking like he was overheating. It took a while to cool him down and I rang the out of hours vet too to check I was doing it right. He calmed down after that and ate a tiny bit more but this morning hardly any of the food was gone and he started to overheat again. It is so hot here already today. He's had a long drink now when I held the bowl in front of him, and we have a fan on him and he seems to have cooled down again. If he doesn't eat anything this morning I'll syringe feed him. There is a messy looking poo coming out so he is passing poo at the moment. He's still really wobbly and finds it hard to get up, but a lot less wobbly than yesterday where he couldn't hop at all. Bit worried about him as he keeps getting hot and doesn't look very happy, but I'm guessing the anaesthetic has made him feel really icky? He's had his Metacam and Renitadine this morning.

Well last night he went from being dopey but happy and nibbling kale to suddenly looking like he was overheating. It took a while to cool him down and I rang the out of hours vet too to check I was doing it right. He calmed down after that and ate a tiny bit more but this morning hardly any of the food was gone and he started to overheat again. It is so hot here already today. He's had a long drink now when I held the bowl in front of him, and we have a fan on him and he seems to have cooled down again. If he doesn't eat anything this morning I'll syringe feed him. There is a messy looking poo coming out so he is passing poo at the moment. He's still really wobbly and finds it hard to get up, but a lot less wobbly than yesterday where he couldn't hop at all. Bit worried about him as he keeps getting hot and doesn't look very happy, but I'm guessing the anaesthetic has made him feel really icky? He's had his Metacam and Renitadine this morning.

When you say he keeps 'getting hot' do you mean his respiratory rate increases a lot so he appears to be breathing very fast and noticeably ?

If you feel his ears are they abnormally warm ?

When you say he keeps 'getting hot' do you mean his respiratory rate increases a lot so he appears to be breathing very fast and noticeably ?

If you feel his ears are they abnormally warm ?

Yes that's it, and once cooled down he goes back to normal

He hasn't got the fan on him anymore btw, he's sleeping in his cardboard box and his ears are room temperature. I'm sitting opposite keeping an eye on him through his cutout door. He just wants to sleep lots today. I'm assuming the grogginess is making him not want to eat? His tummy is still making quiet gurgle noises (the normal ones) and I'm going to carry on syringing his food today. Hope I'm doing all the right things, I've googled stuff and it can take 24-48 hours for it to wear off? His op was about 2-3pm yesterday.

He hasn't got the fan on him anymore btw, he's sleeping in his cardboard box and his ears are room temperature. I'm sitting opposite keeping an eye on him through his cutout door. He just wants to sleep lots today. I'm assuming the grogginess is making him not want to eat? His tummy is still making quiet gurgle noises (the normal ones) and I'm going to carry on syringing his food today. Hope I'm doing all the right things, I've googled stuff and it can take 24-48 hours for it to wear off? His op was about 2-3pm yesterday.

It sounds as though you are. If you continue to have concerns I am sure your Vet will be happy to offer you more advice and reassurance. As long as he has some input and some output then that's a positive. This heat wont help of course, but you are making sure that he is as comfortable as possible. If he does seem to be struggling a lot with the heat try dampening down his ears and the back of his neck with cool water aswell as putting the fan on. Putting a damp cloth in front of the fan can serve as a DIY air con unit. In this weather all just a fan will do is move hot air around.

You may be able to tempt him to eat by offering him some fresh herbs. My Rabbits all love Coriander. Basil, Dill and flat leaf parsley are also an option. My Rabbits also love fresh Fenugreek (AKA 'Methi') but it makes their wee stink of Fenugreek for 48 hours and I cant stomach the smell !! :oops:

I've syringe fed him again just now and he also tried to have a nibble on some kale but he's still quite dopey. He looks uncomfortable and doing a few little teeth crunches even though he's had Metacam. Not too bad though and still trying to clean himself a bit. I've picked him some dandelion leaves and he's got some herbs and leafy greens so will keep checking he's eating them. Managing to keep the room cool at the moment but it's meant to be 32 degrees later! :(

I've syringe fed him again just now and he also tried to have a nibble on some kale but he's still quite dopey. He looks uncomfortable and doing a few little teeth crunches even though he's had Metacam. Not too bad though and still trying to clean himself a bit. I've picked him some dandelion leaves and he's got some herbs and leafy greens so will keep checking he's eating them. Managing to keep the room cool at the moment but it's meant to be 32 degrees later! :(

The tooth crunching might not be pain related but more that his teeth now feel 'odd' after his Dental treatment . The heat is hideous here too :cry:

Not sure if you have a loft, but if you do you could try opening the hatch. This will allow some of the hot air in the house to rise into the loft.

HI Elaine

Regarding the teeth crunches, sometimes once a rabbit has had a dental the facets of the teeth need a bit of 'adjusting' and this is how they get them smooth again. There's the crunching with pain, and that of pleasure, and many people don't realise the third one when they are realigning their grinding surfaces.

The heat isn't going to help any bun, so it's possible it's making him feel a bit more groggy than usual, and yes, an anaesthetic can take a while to wear off. It's worth bearing in mind if he needs another dental any time down the line that he takes a while to process the anaesthetic.

Ah ok that's good I hope he's just smoothing them then and not in pain! He's really not interested in food :( Done a few poos though so I'm glad about that.

Ah ok that's good I hope he's just smoothing them then and not in pain! He's really not interested in food :( Done a few poos though so I'm glad about that.

Hi Elaine

I have just seen your wonderful website and appreciate your talent in painting animals :wave:

I see you are raising money for your current vet bills, and I wish you all the very best with that, and also with your lovely rabbit xx

Back