• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Getting hold of metacam

I asked my friend who works at my vets and they charge £9, which is actually not bad. Apparently they will do it for more than one bottle at a time as well so it means only paying for the one written prescription which is excellent.

Good thread. I was beginning to worry about affording the £25 per 32ml bottle. It doesn't last me long, especially lately.

Yes that's right :) Vets can do as many repeats on a prescription as they like. I have three on mine :thumb:

My vets let me have metacam to keep in. I buy a 10ml bottle.

My buns are stasis prone though which is why I have it. Lets me avoid midnight vet trips to the clueless OOH vet.

So is Thumper and yet my vet has advised me NOT to automatically reach for the metacam as that in itself can cause stomach problems over a period of time. I no longer give Thumper any pain relief when I find her in colic/stasis but rush her straight to the vet as an emergency where she receives a different pain relief via injection instead. She's had 2 episodes this week and within 2 hours of having the injection on both days, she was back to normal.

When I was first prescribed metacam for Thumper (before she had colic/stasis regularly) it was given to me in a sealed bottle. Same as for Skittle (our hamster) now - that was also a new, sealed bottle. Evidently not all vets have a big bottle somewhere which they take X amount out of - mine don't.

Back