• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Getting 2nd rabbit - how to make sure she also bonds to me?

LittleLi

New Kit
So our boy is castrated since a month back and we are getting an 8 week French Lop female in a few weeks. I want to make sure insofar as it is possible she doesn’t ‘just’ become a friend to him but also a member of the family who also enjoys time with us (mainly me, the rabbit lover of the family).

Last time I had rabbits, a long time ago, I put them together quickly and the female (rabbit no 2) never took any interest in humans at all, I had miniature lops then. rabbit no1 wasn’t super bonded to me either, whereas my current rabbit and I have a lovely close bond.

I would like to do what I can to make sure the new rabbit and I also develop a bond (one of the reasons I am getting such a super chilled sociable breed).

Our rabbit is free roam when I am home which is most of the time. I will keep them in the same room but while she is still in her enclosure at the beginning I was going to keep him separated with the help of a fence. Any suggestions on how long I should wait before introducing them? He has to be kept apart from her for a few weeks anyway to make sure all the baby-making risks are removed :)

What I also don’t want is to create massive frustration that they can’t meet.

The simple way to a Rabbit's heart is through her stomach and always being gentle with her. Also a lot will depend on how she has been treated while with her Mum. As far as your boy is concerned regarding getting her pregnant, at 8 weeks old she is too young anyway and by the time she is old enough he will be infertile. I would give her a short time to settle in then you could introduce them in a neutral area unless your boy is quite laid back.

Hey and thanks for replying. My boy is super chilled, low rank. More concerned about becoming just the feeder as it happened last time. The mum is super sociable apparently and our new baby rabbit has been handled loads by adults and kids, the breeder is small scale and seems genuinely lovely. ❤️

Are both Rabbits fully vaccinated ? If not this would be an absolute essential before introducing them. I’d get the Breeder to arrange a vaccination for the Baby you are buying before you bring her home.You will of course have to pay for the vaccination, costs range from about £60-£80. The vaccination can be given at 5 weeks of age and full immune response is established after 3 weeks. If the Rabbit you already have is not fully vaccinated he will need to be done too.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/disease/vaccinations/

https://www.msd-animal-health-hub.co.uk/Products/Nobivac-MyxoRHD-PLUS

As to the bonding, the character of a Rabbit pre-puberty is no indication of how they will be as an adult. You may find the two Rabbits, once bonded, do become independent of you , except for essential care of course. They may prefer to just get on with being Rabbits and we have to accept that. Our reward is being privileged enough to be able to watch their interaction and behaviour. Some Rabbits will remain people orientated after bonding, some won’t. Almost all Rabbits will want to know their human care giver if the human has food to offer though :thumb:

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/ownership/bonding-rabbits/

Back