• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gemma has gone to the Bridge

Rhianna

Wise Old Thumper
I have thought Gemma was losing weight for a little while but she has continued to eat loads and be very active and her usual self so I put it down to her moulting and having less fur than usual.

Last night she ran out of the kitchen as soon as I removed the barrier and started nomming the cats' dried food - she always does that, given the chance. I picked her up to put her back in the kitchen and realised just how light she was. She also had dirty rear legs and fur underneath as though she had had loose stools. I gave her a botty bath and then some oats as she loves them. She nommed them as usual.

The vet didn't have any appointments this morning but they fitted me in as they know I wouldn't say she needed to be seen if I wasn't really worried. The vet thinks Gemma has a tumour:( He said it could be an abscess but he won't know unless he opens her up. I've got to take her back on Monday to see if she has put on any weight. She has baytril injections and critical care which I need to give her every two hours. I asked if he thought she was in pain and he didn't. I don't either as she is behaving as usual and is very active (although I do know bunnies hide pain well).

Gemma was a PAH adoption bun - not old stock but an unwanted pet. I was told she had been spayed but now wonder if this was untrue and she has uterine cancer:(:(

Fortunately, Gemma is insured. I was going to get them all insured until I realised how expensive it was so stopped at two buns. Have checked the excess which is £75 - more than I thought - but at least I can let the vet do everything possible without having to stress about borrowing the money - I still owe Bluesmum money from ages ago for a furry funeral:(

I have not worked at all this week but next week am really busy, starting with a 24 hour shift tomorrow. I can't not work as I am up to my overdraft limit and the pay is time and two thirds on a Sunday so am going to have to take Gemma to work with me. I work in a NHS building but unless there are any clients (I work with men and women who have just been raped/assaulted) I will be there on my own. I thought I could take my puppy panels and put George and Gemma in the garden. They would probably love it as they are usually indoors. Hopefully, I won't get into quite so much trouble if I keep them outside as I would if I have them in the actual building.

If Gemma does go to the Bridge on Monday she will have enjoyed a day outside nomming grass and I can then feed her every two hours as the vet recommended. Just hope it doesn't rain.

Please send vibes for Gemma. George would be totally lost without her but I can't afford to adopt another bun really. Gemma is a lovely, soft and caring bun. She adores her George and puts up with his periodic 'hump fests' really well.

Last edited:
I am so so sorry to hear this. I hope the vet has an answer and that she enjoys her day out with George.

So sorry to hear about Gemma. Hope it turns out not to be a tumour. Have a good day with George (lets hope its not one of his humpfest days !!! ).

Oh Karen I'm so sorry to read this :(

I really hope it's not a tumour and Gemma will be ok.

I'm sorry I didn't get round to replying to your PM , Had to take on a neglected piggy unexpectedly. I was planning on phoning you this afternoon if you're still up for a chat.

Sending lots of vibes for Gemma.

Last edited:
So sorry to hear this. I hope it turns out not to be a tumour.

Sending loads of vibes for Gemma xx

We've been in a very similar position here this week with Rudy, not sure now what's going on except he has lost weight and his blood results are all over the place. I thought the prognosis was as grim as you're currently thinking for Gemma but things don't seem as bad as I first feared - I hope the same for yourselves and Gemma.

Thank you everyone. I must admit I am fearing the worst as everytime a bun of mine has had a tumour it has been inoperable and I have agreed to let them go under the anaesthetic. I am already getting in a state about what to do if Gemma does die on Monday as she would have to remain at the vet for a week before she could go to Wales to be cremated and I really, really don't want her frozen. A friend has advised I take one step at a time but I know I will go to pieces if Gemma does die and won't be able to think clearly so am trying to make decisions now, when I am slightly more logical (if that makes any sense at all). I am likely to have had no sleep as I am doing a 24 hour shift too, which won't help my thought process.

I am also worrying about taking her to work in case it is too stressful for her, although she will have her beloved George with her and the work garden is totally secluded and inaccessible to the general public - only staff use it. I will put a cover on the pen so that they can't jump out and their tunnel so they can hide if they want to. There are trees so they can be partially in the shade all the time. She will probably love being outdoors nomming the grass.

I am not used to a poorly bunny acting so 'normal' and am terrified she will suddenly go downhill. Fortunately, I am nearer to my vet at work than I am at home so if the worst did happen I can get there really fast.

Have bought her some junior pellets to try and get her to put some weight on and she is happily nomming oats too.

Well I've smuggled Gemma and George into work and set them up in a pen in the garden. Sadly, there is no grass as the earth is very hard and dry. The good thing about that is that I don't think there is any way they can burrow out. The ground was so hard I found it impossible to put the pen spokes into the ground unless I found a crack in the earth and used that.

I fed Gemma before I came to work and she will have her Baytril injection at 10.30 am. She is soooooo good. She just takes the syringe feed and almost seems to enjoy it. Had to give her another botty bath this morning as her fur was a bit damp and looked dirty. Again, she was such a good bun. I am incredibly lucky with my bunnies - they have all been so complliant to anything hands-on I have to do to them. Gemma is getting lots of kisses and I keep telling her how much I love her. If it's quiet here today I will go out later and pick some forage from around the building. Sometimes there are nommy dandelion leaves.

Am dreading tomorrow. I am supposed to be attending a meeting at 2.00 pm but I don't think I will go. I will be shattered if I have been working all night. Just hope Gemma's lump is something operable.

Thank you.

She looked very sad in her carrier in the pen. I brought her into the office and gave her her injection and then syringe fed her and gave her lots of kisses. I snuggle her up in a blankie. While I was sorting the food out I put her on the floor and she hopped around investigating this strange new environment. After I fed her I put her outside again but in the pen thinking she would hop straight in the carrier but she didn't. I've picked some budlea and hawthorn for her and left her snuggled behind the carrier with George.

Have a client coming in shortly so am going to have to juggle bunny duties with actual work. Fortunately, the police officer who is coming with the client is an animal lover so hopefully if George and Gemma do get spotted out of a window I won't be in too much trouble!

The vet has just 'phoned me. Gemma had an enormous mass the size of his fist which had spread from her uterus to her gut. He said if he removed it she would die of shock.

I feel so guilty as I should have taken her in much sooner but she was eating and playing and acting so normal. I was told she had been spayed but she hadn't.

I am going to collect her and bring her home to spend some time with her and then drive her over to Eastleigh to have her cremated as I don't want her frozen.

George is going to be so sad and unless I can find a young bunny who has been spayed and vaccinated and who won't cost too much in petrol to collect I can't afford to adopt him a wife. I could insure any new bun again as Gemma was insured so it won't increase my monthly expenditure.

George hated being a single bun but is really humpy and I am not sure if many buns would tolerate him. He and Gemma adored each other. I am working tomorrow and Wednesday for 10.5 hours each day so he will be totally alone - apart from the cats.

Why does having animals hurt so much?:cry:

Back