• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Friend's and Family's attitudes towards bunnies

stuff like this sickens me...regardless of whether any animal has personality etc or not, they deserve to be respected, comfortable and pain free.

my friends and family all feel the same about my buns as i do. i've had some bad attitude from people i dont know so well though.

I know exactly what u mean. My bunny died on sat and when I keep bursting into tears I can it in some peoples faces. Unless u have the pleasure of having a real bond with one i dont think people understand. I think people just sadly think of them as just pets that u keep in the bottom of the garden. Its so comforting to come on here at this time as i know you all understand...Its hard to talk to anyone about it as they dont understand :(

My mum has issues with me keeping rabbits indoors (this in MY own home by the way, if I want poop and pee everywhere that's MY choice!!! :lol:). I think she has a problem with them as she has come to realise that my pets are my children - in other words I will never make her a granny! She also trys to tell me what rabbits like which I find amusing! :roll:

At work I'm quite lucky as there are a couple of people on our team who are animal lovers and one colleague has two houserabbits of her own so we all understand each other and are supportive when pets are ill. In the past though I've had rabbit stew comments and I had an insensitive former boss who thought I was wasting my time and money trying to cure a rabbit's abscess. He said I could've bought hundreds of rabbits with the money I spent :evil:

I have to say with some family, friends & work colleagues they completely understand that I am a big animal lover, especially for our bunnies & cats - they know they are a major part of my life, so they respect that. I am fortunate that I only work in a small team of 7 people & whilst they are not all massive animal lovers like me - they completely understand where I'm coming from with our pets - that they are my family, as we don't have kids. Some of my family are also really understanding of our passion for rabbits & that they mean so much to me. My dad bless him always asks about them when ever I see him or speak to him on the phone - he even rang me tonight to see how Wilson went on at the vets. Each time we've rescued another bunny, I've introduced him to his new grandchild :oops::lol:

Some friends are thankfully as nutty as me when it comes to bunnies & completely understand my overwhelming love for them - though they can't quite get their heads round us having 22 :shock::lol:

As for my hubby, the poor bloke puts up with so much - but if he's honest he's actually worse than me for spoiling the bunnies :) He loves them so much & loves what we get back from them - i.e. unconditional love for very little in return :love:

There are some folk that don't understand why we've got so many & why they mean so much to us - but I couldn't give 2 hoots about their opinions. At the end of the day I don't tell them how to run their lives, so don't expect them to tell me how to run mine - bunnies or not :?

And yes we've had all the comments like rabbit stew & it's only a rabbit etc - but I just don't lower myself to people now, because they are simply not worth it & my life has much more in it than their's by having bunnies.

And yes we've had all the comments like rabbit stew & it's only a rabbit etc - but I just don't lower myself to people now, because they are simply not worth it & my life has much more in it than their's by having bunnies.

Well said :)

I havent even got my bunny yet, and people in my team at work always ask me daily if I've got him yet. I give them daily updates on what I've bought ready for the lil guy's arrival...so god know's what I'll be like once he arrives (1week, 3 days to go :D).. I'm quite lucky with my team, as although non of them seem very keen on pets - they understand I am so I don't get any mean comments.

Also, the majority of my friends I met in our schools animal house club when I moved here (so had no friends in the area) so we all love rabbits!

My OH's really sweet. He's admitted he doesnt want the responsibility of an animal - but when my hamster was ill quite recently he was really worried - more so than me. And when my other hamster (the one he liked) died about a year ago he was tearful too (not that he likes to admit it :p )

And for family - my parents are OK. They're not too into pets, but sure do care for them. Especially my poor lil hamster, mum swapped her work hours to take her to the vet.. And she's dug a fair few holes in the ground for them all. Dad likes the hamsters, and has helped me with the rabbit hutch - and also went with me too see the bunny - but isn't exactly enthusiast about it - but he tries :)

For the rest of my family - grandparents like to hear about them, aunt keeps asking when as they've got bunnies too so love them. brother's just not bothered - but does a bit for conversation - but he's the one who winds me up about them! For OH's family - his mum likes to mention about them, but she's never had small pets so doesnt exactly know much about them - but its nice to have something to talk to her about (instead of awkward silences - 3yrs on from meeting her :roll:)

So overall, I'm quite lucky. But it's not something I'd bring up with customers at work as I wouldn't know their reaction. I'd rather not mention than have a bad reaction :oops:

my friends and family realise how important they are to me even if they dont quite get it themselves

when i had to take cerys for her dental everyone was asking how she was and they let me home early to pick her up:D

im lucky in the respect that murray will always take me seriously and be willing to go to the emergency vet if something isnt right with the bunsters. it was also him that dealt with burying toffee and btracken and i cudnt have coped without him im even more luckier in the respect that my dad gets concerned about the buns when theyre ill he also built them theyre fabulous huge run and dug gumpys grave for me and also asked about gumpy everytime i went round. my mum isnt a fan of them but she thinks theyre cute but just understands how much they all mean to me

My hubbys great and loves them as much as me.
My family though don't undertsand how i can love my buns so much, do atleast respect it and know how much they mean to me.
Work colleages on the other hand don't! I had to take Sooty in yesterday to have a dental as he had molar spurs and I had someone at work suggest I "just put it in a plastic bag and brick it and get a new one, its much cheaper".
Can you believe it!? People do not show rabbits the respect they deserve as pets and it really annoys me! :evil:

Work colleages on the other hand don't! I had to take Sooty in yesterday to have a dental as he had molar spurs and I had someone at work suggest I "just put it in a plastic bag and brick it and get a new one, its much cheaper".
Can you believe it!? People do not show rabbits the respect they deserve as pets and it really annoys me! :evil:

:shock::shock:
What lovely people you work with :censored::censored::censored:

I had to make a dash to the vets this morning and everyone has been texting/leaving messages to make sure they're okay

My family loves my rabbits. When Pickle was ill my dad was extremely concerned.
Also when we first got Ghostie my brother and his girlfriend were in their kennel playing with them.
My grandparents call them little dogs as when I call them they come to me and they are so loving and affectionate.

My friends just accept who I am, and how much I love my little guys, and they all got me bunny stuff for my birthday.
One of my friends is considering getting two as she loves my 3 so much!

As for the people who I hardly consider friends, they like to take the mick out of me, for example yesterday they were talking about my sub msn name "My girl Ghostie was on Disapproving Rabbit's Nov '08 *link*"
They had such fun out of that. But the thing is, one person was quoting me and apparently he was 'laughing so hysterically about how sad I am'.
But do you know what? I'd rather be that sad person, than be him! So I'm all dandy!

My hubbys great and loves them as much as me.
My family though don't undertsand how i can love my buns so much, do atleast respect it and know how much they mean to me.

Work colleagues have got to be the worst.

Today one of the senior management team laughed about the fact that he once buried a hamster alive and then told me I should just kill my poorly bun off instead of taking her to the vets. I told him I think he's disgusting. What a :censored:

I'm feeling lucky reading this thread too, because while my family doesn't exactly love animals, they humor me. My mom always asks about how the bunnies are doing, and listens patiently if I tell her 8 million stories. My grandparents clearly laugh whenever I talk about my bunnies as "serious pets", but they're good natured and listen just as well.

Although at Christmas, my brother kept going on and on about his dog. Everyone was laughing at all the stories, and when I told a few bunny ones, they quickly changed the subject back to the dog, because they found it far more interesting. :?

Also at work, I am a receptionist and the patients will coo at the pictures of my rabbits, and when I tell them they are house rabbits, they're just shocked. "Don't they poo and pee everywhere?" "I thought they just like to sit in cages all day!" "What do you feed them? Bunny food?"

But I never lose hope. The more these people hear about house bunnies from different sources, the more normal the idea becomes, and the more the mentality changes in mainstream society. So I will ramble on and on about my bunnies, so the next time someone mentions a rabbit, they might say, "I met this girl once who lets her rabbits run about the house! Do you let your rabbits do that?" And either they do, and the idea is reinforced, or they don't, and the owner starts looking up more stuff about rabbit care and gets more educated.

But that's my ideal world. DON'T ROB ME OF MY DREAMS!! :oops:

I won't, I have exactly the same dreams and tell stories in just the same way! It does work - a close friend of one of my best friends got her first rabbit from the Free-Ads but since hearing my rabbit stories, she got two more from rescue centres :D

My mum and dad thought I was BONKERS when I got Lola last year.

I went on holiday in July last year and Mum and Dad looked after Lola. They were SMITTEN!!:love::love: They made her special meals and she went out in the garden with Dad most days to keep his grass down and he would share his apples with her.

I think they may get a bunny when their cats passes - she is elderly now and I know they wont commit to another cat as they are elderly but they loved having Lola so much!

Back