• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

French Lop people..

Sparkle x

Wise Old Thumper
..my french lop lopsy, female - spayed. is very fluffy on her back end lol and recently we have noticed it been wet looking and smelling of wee..after closely monitoring it as recommended my vet and cleaning her daily, i am drawing to the conclusion that the wee is getting caught (if u could say that) on her hair around her "mary" lol....

..does anybody elses bun suffer like this...

My vet suggested clipping her and then using rear guard...what do you guys think? would clipping her stress her out too much...?

x

Barley is quite stained at the mo cos if she wees on sofa[its leather so doesn't soak in as much as fabric]she then sits in it.Have to put her away for a few mins every hour in the evening to try and stop her weeing out of litter tray!Vet was concerned and asked me what veg i gave her but then when i said she has lots of wet/diutetic food/veg because she had a problem with cystitis she said to carry on as we are and not to worry too much about staining.She said if i was worried to use rear guard[?].Think she looks worse than what she is cos bum/legs are white.:D

Vet also said as shes a bigbun she cant get to her bum to clean it and i needed to help her,which personally i think is rubbish cos shes a very small frenchie[11lb]and my 15lb frenchie had no problem washing her bum when she was young[it was a different matter when she was older]and B not even 2yet.

clipping her would be fine as I do some of my rabs, it doesn't stress them out or I should say it doesn't stress mine out. It will stop her from being wet a smelly and easier for you to keep clean:D

Oright...Thanks guys!!
I recently put in a "wilkinsons storage box" in which she insisits on sitting, laying and eating hay in.
She wee's in her litter tray and i think its just from that...
I am cleaning her daily but i think i will use rearguard just to be careful...will also get her clipped thanks!!!

xx

mm clip her fur aorund her bits.its what we ave to do with both our weeny buns and bertie our 10lb frenchie from time to time..but out 14lb lady shes immaculate..her buns spotless so are her feet..and she smells..like fur..like a teddy bear...but bif..well bandits been and filed for divorce and shes made him sleep in th eother litter tray..as he used to be dripping in wee at one point a nervous problem and we had to bathe him dialy clip him put sudocrem on him and it took ages to get better..he still smells likefish when he pees buckets but he has nothing wrong!:oops:

i use bio catolet in the bottom of the tray..topped with a nice thick layer of russell rabbit bedding..its so absorbent..needs to be with 2 frenchies:shock::lol:

Back