• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Free-feeding- Do you do this?

Do you free-feed you rabbits? (Give them whatever they want when they want)

• yes- I give unlimited hay, pellets and veg

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • no- i don't feed unlimited hay, veg, pellets

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I feed unlimited hay, unlimited veg but limited pellets

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • I feed unlimited hay- limited veg and limited pellets

Votes: 69 88.5%
  • I feed limited hay, veg and pellets (definable quantities)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other - please discuss

Votes: 3 3.8%

• Total voters
I quite agree!

As far as I can remember, this 'eggcup full' limit on pellets has only recently been advocated. It's totally daft to think that every rabbit has the same needs. Much wiser to judge the correct amount to feed by keeping a close eye on your rabbits weight, coat, teeth and general health IMO

I totally agree.
sue:wave:

I haven't voted as I have no buns at the moment. However the amount of pellets I would offer would depend on the bunny.

I would never free feed mine. I'm always reluctant to tell people to go against vet advice but I only free feed hay. It's important to look at each rabbit individually and perhaps free feed those with health issues. When mine got more pellets I had all kinds of problems with Zero and his poops. The only one who gets an excessive amount is Daphne as she is very thin. I would perhaps go to another vet for a second opinion, as we haven't seen your rabbits so can only tell you what we do :wave:

Free feeding pellets and veg would result in runny poos, excess caecotrophs and obesity in most rabbits I would have thought though.

When I first got my bunnies, they were free fed a muesli mix. They were really fat, and never ate hay. In fact, they looked at it as if to say 'are we supposed to eat that?'

Surely free feeding dried food of any kind is the equivalent of feeding children chocolate all day. Some people (including vets) seem to act like pellets are some sort of health food and totally different to muesli. I totally disagree with this - hay is what bunnies should be eating, with veg and pellets making up a small proportion (for nutritional reasons), but an amount right for that particular rabbit.

I quite agree!

As far as I can remember, this 'eggcup full' limit on pellets has only recently been advocated. It's totally daft to think that every rabbit has the same needs. Much wiser to judge the correct amount to feed by keeping a close eye on your rabbits weight, coat, teeth and general health IMO

I always thought that was a guide and you go from there to find what your rabbits need. All mine are around 1.8kg apart from Nutmeg who is 1.3kg so mine aren't big breeds. If I had a giant I wouldn't use the same guide as for a small breed.

ETA. This is probably why my lops need slightly more. Their combined weight is 0.5kg more than the others (of whom Smudge eats more than Nutmeg so that balances that out.)

Last edited:
When I first got my bunnies, they were free fed a muesli mix. They were really fat, and never ate hay. In fact, they looked at it as if to say 'are we supposed to eat that?'

This was the case with my lops too. They ate some but as I didn't realise it was their bulk diet they only got fresh stuff about twice a week. They also had almost ad lib muesli so ate hay as a bit of a last resort! I had terrible problems with Mini and sticky bum. I still do on occasion but she used to have it ALL the time until I found this place!

I don't completely free feed mine pellets, but they probably get a whole bowl a day. ....can I ask where the egg cup came from?! IMO it's ridiculous to expect a giant to live on that and be in good condition...even if they are a great hay eater. :roll:

I'm not sure what you mean by egg cup.. Guess that's the general "rule" here?

Well, I have a similair rule: 15 grams of pellets per kg (that's for adult rabbits) because I think you're absolutely right. An egg cup would certainly not be enough for say a Flemish Giant.

Then again, I think you shouldn't feed by any rules. Every rabbit is different and so are the conditions they live in. Mine get about 60 grams pellets (Science Selective), 800 grams of veggies, a bowl of dried herbs/plants/veggies and unlimited hay and grass. That's for three rabbits, about 5 kg in totall I think.. Maybe a bit more, Pip is only twelve weeks and still growing, I do feed her about 20 grams extra (she could eat more but doesn't want to) and I used to free feed her.

Now some might be shocked by the amount of veggies I give, but it's working for them. They're in perfect health, their weight is good. In fact, Pip didn't eat hay, untill she was bonded with my pair and I started feeding her the above. Sure, maybe other rabbits would get fat or underweight or stop eating hay.. But that's exactly why I think there is no "perfect" diet in general, you should look at each rabbit individually.

I think free feeding could work for some rabbits, especially if they're used to it. If you always feed your rabbits just an eggcup of pellets and then suddenly start free feeding, I can guarantee it will go wrong. They simply don't know how to keep measure.

I do think most rabbits that are free-fed, eat less hay, or no hay at all. I used to free-feed a muesli mix and they were not fat, but they didn't eat hay. Unfortunately I never managed to get Indy to eat hay, not even when reducing his pellets.. Not even when not feeding him any pellets.. So because of that, no free-feeding for me anymore!

Last edited:
When I first got Bailey he had spurs which they dealt with whilst he was under for his neuter. On the day it ended up being a locum who did the op and I actually had a very snotty note from him about how rabbits that young should not get spurs and I was clearly feeding them wrong. I actually have it in writing I should only be feeding a tbsp per bun which is very similar in equvilent to an egg cup. I was only actually feeding them this amount anyway and it works well for my bunnies. They eat tonnes of hay and have a healthy portion of veg. However if I tell someone an 'egg-cup' I mean it as guideline only and that common sense would tell you you'd need to adjust it for some buns and definately for giants.

When I first got Bailey he had spurs which they dealt with whilst he was under for his neuter. On the day it ended up being a locum who did the op and I actually had a very snotty note from him about how rabbits that young should not get spurs and I was clearly feeding them wrong. I actually have it in writing I should only be feeding a tbsp per bun which is very similar in equvilent to an egg cup. I was only actually feeding them this amount anyway and it works well for my bunnies. They eat tonnes of hay and have a healthy portion of veg. However if I tell someone an 'egg-cup' I mean it as guideline only and that common sense would tell you you'd need to adjust it for some buns and definately for giants.

One eggcup is two tablespoons. :)

Yes, unfortunately if something gets quoted on here enough (eg the egg cup thing), it starts to become seen as a rule. I'm sure no-one who has ever recommended that has ever meant it that way though.

My 2 lionheads get an eggcup full of pellets each. My chocolate torte gets an egg cup and a half as he is only 6 months old and still growing.
They also get roughly a handful of mixed green leafy veg/Herbs/grass each a day.
Hay is unlimited obviously, and they eat tons of it :D

Fifi loves her grub... she'd eat me out of house and home given the chance, and if George is given too many pellets he won't eat his hay, which makes him poorly...

I give very very limited pellets, in one bowl they get an eggcup each of Burgess Excel for Dwarfs.

They are also given one bowl between two with a variety of veggies in, but not in excess.

Hay however, I will happily spoil my little ones rotten with. I buy lots of varieties as they seem to like the different tastes and it is available to them at all times no matter what. It's the only thing I free feed :)

What I feed Sooty tends to vary as he suffers from molar spurs and refuses to eat much hay. I tend to be VERY strict (shot glass of pellets, limited veg) straight after a dental when his teeth are "perfect" and I know eating hay shouldn't be causing any discofort, in the hope that hunger will force him to eat hay, it never really does though so after a while I tend to slowly start increasing his pellets and veg as I don't want him to become underweight. I wouldn't say I ever free feed pellets though, I just try to fumble along and gauge what he needs. I'd like his diet to be a bit more stable but I'm still trying to crack this eating hay business!

Mine would explode if i let them have unlimited pellets :lol:
Like others they have to be restricted in pellets (and veg to a lesser degree) so that they eat lots of hay. But they get free range grass eveyr day as well

Im sure my buns would love me to feed them unlimited pellets! Greedy things! :lol:

They get unlimited timothy hay & readigrass every day. Half a carrot each in the morning & the controversial 'egg cup' of pellets in the evening. Mint & broccoli are also given but Orla is slowly getting introduced to new veg since shes only 3 months & has a poorly tummy.

I whole heartedly agree that every rabbit is an individual when it comes to their diet plan. :)

I would find a new vet, if I were you.

I feed unlimited hay only. Mine get a small amount of pellets in the morning, and a small amount of vegetables in the evening. And hardly any extra treats, as I think it is better for them to eat the same things every day rather than getting all sorts of new food and sugary treats.

My vet also recommends free feeding of good quality hay & a variety of green veg. Although she does not advocate free feeding pellets or muesli due to the fact they are not necessary if the hay & veg are in plentiful supply, also they provide no benefit for the teeth & if not limited may lead to obesity.

My 2 have greens, cabbage, kale, celery, cucumber, broccoli, flat leaf parsley, coriander, mint & basil - I rotate what they have, but feed greens, broccoli & herbs daily. They have grass when possible also.

Obviously any new veg should be introduced gradually, avoiding sugary things such as carrots where possible.

I must add that this was recommended to me due to one of my buns being overweight.

I give unlimited hay .She has a a tablespoon of mix in the morning and a bowl of mixed veggies/herbs/greens at bedtime with another tablespoon of mix.
She freeranges in the garden all day (with access to trays/pots of hay scattered about) and can forage herbs/grass etc as she wants.
Her weight stays steady and she's in good health so it's a regime that obviously suits her.:D

I free feed hay and limited veg every day. My vet told me stop feeding pellets as they get everything they need from the fresh veg and hay.

I voted unlimited hay and limited veg and pellets. If I free fed pellets and veg my buns wouldn't eat any hay. I think it's a bit like leaving an enormous bowl of sweets out for your kids and then wondering why they won't eat their greens. Given the choice, of course they won't! In the wild they don't get a choice of concentrated pellets and enormous wadges of carrots, they graze on a variety of things that are mainly grass/hay and leaf based.

I do agree with others though that the egg cup was just someone's interpretation of the approximate correct amount of pellets per average sized bun. I think it is a good rule of thumb but of course there needs to be relevant interpretation for circumstance :)

Back