• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Free ad question - don't shoot me down!

Can I just butt in on the home check issue...
I have been to homes of people that on the face of it seem perfect, and pronmise their home is secure/garden is secure/have a large hutch/have a roomy run to find it is not the case at all. Im not saying these people lied to me, but 'a large hutch' or 'a secure home' to one person is very different to another :? and this is where you can point out in a very mild non condescending and helpful tone that actually the home they have for the bunny isn't actually big enough or the wires from the fridge can easily be chewed or the broken garden fence isn't going to stop next doors dog from coming in and scaring the buns. You can then arrange if the owner is willing to come back on a date when they feel the work will be done or the new hutch bought etc. I rarely have problems with people in this situation, in fact I cant think of any! as so long as you are nice and obvioucly just trying to help them they are more than willing to co operate :) Apart from one time when one family I said needed a larger hutch...the dad built his own and it was HUGE!!!!! (Im talking absolutely massive) I was very impressed and slightly embarrassed that I inadvertently made this poor man run out and spend a fortune and build a palace for the buns the family so desperately wanted! :oops: :lol:

Thanks for your comments.

Leanne - I have previously signed these forms for dogs so I know what you are saying. I think its a good idea for the bunnies.

I will see if I get any response to my adverts that have been put in 2 vets and assess the position then re home checks etc.

In response to the cost of them, I was hoping to get their first vaccines done when I take them to the vet to be properly 'sexed' but need to check with the vet how early this vaccine could be done.

I will keep you updated (if you are all still speaking to me!)

Linda

BRACKEN said:
Thanks for your comments.

Leanne - I have previously signed these forms for dogs so I know what you are saying. I think its a good idea for the bunnies.

I will see if I get any response to my adverts that have been put in 2 vets and assess the position then re home checks etc.

In response to the cost of them, I was hoping to get their first vaccines done when I take them to the vet to be properly 'sexed' but need to check with the vet how early this vaccine could be done.

I will keep you updated (if you are all still speaking to me!)

Linda

i think its 8 weeks for first vaccination if I remember correctly.

Aw, of course we'll still be talking to you :lol: Its obvious you've got their best interest at heart :thumb:

I don't think advertising on free ads necessarily means you'll only find bad owners. Look at all the members on here that search them frequently. However you are likely to find less experienced owneds so you'd need to keep that in mind when checking them. RR does essentially the same thing as freeads, people put up ads and members of the public reply. You can get bad owners contact through that too so it would also be bad to assume that RR means and okay owner. I have had a couple of comments from rescues saying the enquiries via RR do tend to come from more experienced/committed potential owners. Perhaps because they'll have done their homework first?

If you can't physically visit then you could limit your rehoming to people with other rabbits and ask for proof they've been vacc/neutered - though that does narrow your number of rehomes. Anyone selling something can make a contract so an adoption agreement is a great idea. Vet references, references from other rescues or even asking forum members to help homecheck are other options. I'd recommend always talking to the phone not just by email.

There are some tips in the sticky at the top of the RIN section too.

Tam

Bracken- I rehome all ours with a bag of food, leaflets on neutering and vacs and insurance plus my own care sheets including, feeding, grooming, handling, housing and healthcare along with my contact details, my vets details, medical history and useful shops/websites/reference books.

I also offer sheets on bonding, litter training and any other requests from the new owners. I have a contract stating that the animal should not be bred from and ask for proof of vacs/neutering (ie vets letter) if the animal is rehomed without these. it also states its unconditional return to me should they be unable to care for it.

I do not drive and granted it can be very hard to check on those living far away but the absolute minimum I expect is for them to demonstarte a good degree of knowledge and provide pictures of the accomodation.

The RWA or RWF website has a great selection of PDF format leaflets on all manner of rabbit related care which you can print out and give to new owners.

Hope this helps X

When Sugar had her surprise ltter years ago i gave 3 of her babies to people i know AND i still see them to this day (which is a huge relief now Sugar is now at the bridge i can still see reminders of her :love: ) and i know they are all doing perfect and are well looked after. Amber stayed with me.

Is there nobody that you know well enough for these babies to go too?

Back