• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Free ad question - don't shoot me down!

Its a responsible thing to do and if it was more common place amongst all those rehoming through free-ads etc then we wouldnt have half the problems that we do with rescue animals.

Sooz22 said:
Its a responsible thing to do and if it was more common place amongst all those rehoming through free-ads etc then we wouldnt have half the problems that we do with rescue animals.

Totally Agree :thumb:

Janex

Jack's-Jane said:
Sooz22 said:

Totally Agree :thumb:

Janex

Yes i totally agree. I don`t think my previous post came across the right way. I just meant if perhaps Bracken contacted a rescue they may be able to point her in the right direction for how to go about finding good homes.
I know when i took in unwanted rabbits years ago, who turned out to be pregnant, when i tried to rehome the babies i got alot of offensive remarks from people when i said i wanted to do a homecheck. :? I just thought that perhaps with a rescue`s support it it would be better.
Sorry, don`t know if any of that makes sense?! :? :roll: :lol:

Su.x

Sooz22 said:

Yes I agree but I just meant that it is not exactly commonplace for non rescues to do it, and most likely not what people buying them would expect.

I agree it should be done though :thumb:

Thank you all for your replies.

I have taken animals from rescue centres and would feel a complete failure to hand over animals to rescue centres. It would be my absolute last resort. I have owned and cared for animals ALL my life and at this stage cannot see why I would hand them over for someone else to worry about them. And this has nothing to do with money. I know that differs from some opinions but I'm just being truthful.

Yes, I agree with rescue centres and understand the hard work that goes into managing them. However, I am not convinced you need to do a home check to assess whether a person is suitable to own a rabbit.

My first dog was a rescue (20yrs ago) and they did not do a home check. He had a very long, healthy and happy life. When I approached a rescue a while ago (to try to rehome a young working dog as I do training and thought a 'working' home would be better than 'pet' home and to get 2 rabbits) the people concerned were so judgemental it was a truly awful experience. I understand you see many irresponsible owners but there are many good ones out there.

I didn't even get to fill in a form as I hated the attitude. I felt like I was being treated like a child despite 20 years experience. I therefore went to breeders for both dog and rabbits.

I feel it is my responsibility and will see what homes I can find over the next few weeks. If necessary I will accept your advice and be prepared to change my view.

I don't mean to inflame the position but sometimes, probably because of all the things you see, there is an assumption that everyone are irresponsible and bad owners?

Linda

.....and when I said it is not because of the money it truly isn't. This week I drove 20 miles and paid £75 to get my rabbit neutered at a good vet I knew and trusted. I could have paid £50 for a vet just down the road.

Sorry, I just wanted to make that clear!

Linda

BRACKEN said:
I am not convinced you need to do a home check to assess whether a person is suitable to own a rabbit.

Linda

But how else can you be CERTAIN they can provide appropriate accomodation? They may SAY they can offer a Rabbit a 'good home'. But isnt that 'good home' rather a subjective issue. What one person considers to be 'good' may fall well short of what YOU want for the Rabbits you are rehoming.
Its a shame that you have had a bad experience when approaching a Rescue to obtain a Pet. I agree that SOME can appear to be quite intimadating. BUT their priority is the welfare of the pet they are rehoming. Not the feelings of the prospective owner.

I really cant understand how you can feel OK about Rehoming un-neutered Rabbits to a situation you have not seen for yourself :?
I would not be able to sleep for worry as to where they might actually end up living.

Just expressing a personal opinion :)

Janex

Jack's-Jane said:
BRACKEN said:
I am not convinced you need to do a home check to assess whether a person is suitable to own a rabbit.

Linda

But how else can you be CERTAIN they can provide appropriate accomodation? They may SAY they can offer a Rabbit a 'good home'. But isnt that 'good home' rather a subjective issue. What one person considers to be 'good' may fall well short of what YOU want for the Rabbits you are rehoming.
Its a shame that you have had a bad experience when approaching a Rescue to obtain a Pet. I agree that SOME can appear to be quite intimadating. BUT their priority is the welfare of the pet they are rehoming. Not the feelings of the prospective owner.

I really cant understand how you can feel OK about Rehoming un-neutered Rabbits to a situation you have not seen for yourself :?

Janex

I can only really reiterate what Jane has said. Some people amy tell you they`ve got a suitable hutch, etc............ But their suitable may not be your suitable. Just because they seem knowledgeable, their opinions may be different to yours as to how to keep a happy, healthy bunny. Without seeing a persons setup how do you know it`s suitable?
Sorry i don`t mean to sound rude but there are unscrupious (sp/) people out there & at the end of the day you want what`s best for your bunnies.

Su.x :D

I know a lovely lady in our village who despite me telling her about rescues bought a bunny for her daughter from the local garden centre. The hutch is 4 ft wide and just not big enough for her 'dwarf' lop. She however thinks it's acceptable to have the rabbit in there day and night :roll: If you met her she'd come across as a perfect owner, however, many people still think rabbits are only good for tiny hutches at the bottom of the garden. Very difficult to change attitudes.

Another lady told me she didn't put hay in her rabbit's hutch as it just 'ate the bedding' and another one told me she had to get rid of her rabbit as her four year old couldn't pick it up. Another one said she was glad her rabbit had died as it was too big for its hutch as it was supposed to be a 'dwarf' but grew too big - she's since replaced him with another poor unfortunate bunny.

All these examples are lovely people who just have the traditional view of rabbits. I suspect none of them would be happy for a homecheck however, they'd just go somewhere else to buy their rabbit. I think people who are rescue aware are more than happy for homechecks, but the general public, not sure :?

The thing I would say is that I know some people who run rescues have had people apply to adopty an animal and they seem, even to an experienced person, extremely suitable and knowledgable and commited to looking after an animal, but on home checking this person they turn out to have other animals in awful aonditions or completely unsuitable housing that they have lied about and so forth. I really don't know how you can tell without home checking. Its not that we distrust everyone, its just that in the end its the animals life you are taking a risk with and if you get it wrong then its them that pay.

However, I am not convinced you need to do a home check to assess whether a person is suitable to own a rabbit

well how do you assess whether a person is suitable then? People are just going to tell you what you want to hear. When your asking if they can look after the bun they are hardly going to say no.

people who cant look after rabbits properly still buy them, and then they end up in rescues when they become too much hard work or the owners get bored. they might seem like they will be great rabbit owners but you cant know that just from talking to them :?

I have taken animals from rescue centres and would feel a complete failure to hand over animals to rescue centres

Im not sure why this would make you feel like a failure, you would just be asking for help and at least you will know that these buns will get the homes they deserve

probably because of all the things you see, there is an assumption that everyone are irresponsible and bad owners?

No but when you rehoming animals you need to be aware that there are bad owners out there and do everything to make sure you dont send your animals to live with them.

I would expect someone to come and check my home if I was rehoming an animal, and I was actually quite dissapointed that the people I got my two from didnt bother

Ok, I DO think it is best to do a homecheck but if you really do not want to do them I think at the least you could do the following:

*ask for photos of their accomodation and vet references

*ask them lots of questions on what their knowledge is on rabbits- what they would feed them, who the rabbits are for (them or their children? Who will care for them?), hutch size, do they understand the importance of companionship (even consider only letting them go in pairs) and neutering, do they know how long they live for? etc etc Im sure people on here could think of many others for you.

*Get them myxi vaccinated yourself (this will also demonstrate to new owners that this is important) and ask for a donation of say £20, the excess of which you will donate to your local rescue

*Do not advertise them somewhere which may attract the kind of people you wouldnt want to have your buns- ie) not on freeads sites/your local paper. RR, RIN, your vets and other rabbit forums would be best (not breeder ones)

*Be prepared to look after them as long as it takes to find them the right home.

*Offer to take them back if in the future they can no longer look after them (Im sure you could easily rehome them again)

*give them a leaflet on the basics of rabbit care (Im sure we can point you to a site with that kind of information on)

*Put something in the advert stating that they are not suitable for breeding and they will need to be neutered when old enough

In your advert explain that they were the result of an accidental litter and you feel responsible for them and want to find the best homes so will want to ask for vet references etc. I think this way you will hopefully attract kind people. Yes people may lie to you, but if a homecheck is out of the question, at least this may help in some way.

Again, the alternative is to ask a rescue to help you- give them a donation in return for helping with homechecking etc. Where do you live?

I am fostering a male bun which most of you already know called Fudge
...When I find a home for him I will do a homecheck, I want to check out his hutch/run size & I want to see what type of home he's going to..
I travelled quite a long way to pick this bun up on New Years eve as the rescue he'd gone to was already full with bunnies.. He's had a bad start in life & I want to make sure he not going to be living in a tiny hutch like he was before...

Jack's-Jane said:
BRACKEN said:

Linda

I would not be able to sleep for worry as to where they might actually end up living.

Janex

But you have adopted unneutered rabbits without people visiting you, e.g. the bun from Devon. What makes one person more suitable to do this than another?
I think homechecks can be helpful but there are plenty of good homes that don't require it. I've not been homechecked with any of my rescue animals and provide them with a good sized cage, vet care, and all the things they need.

Karly said:
Jack's-Jane said:
BRACKEN said:

Linda

Janex

But you have adopted unneutered rabbits without people visiting you, e.g. the bun from Devon. What makes one person more suitable to do this than another?
I think homechecks can be helpful but there are plenty of good homes that don't require it. I've not been homechecked with any of my rescue animals and provide them with a good sized cage, vet care, and all the things they need.

Actually I WAS homechecked

Ref: Christobel Molesley MRCVS :D

Janex

[quote="Karly"
I think homechecks can be helpful but there are plenty of good homes that don't require it. I've not been homechecked with any of my rescue animals and provide them with a good sized cage, vet care, and all the things they need.[/quote]

Yes, but by doing a homecheck you are doing as much as you possibly can to try & ensure the rabbit goes to a good home. :D
I`m sure many of us have taken on rabbits without homechecks and `yes` they`ve been provided with good homes BUT Linda was asking for advice on how to find her babies good homes & a homecheck is a good way of doing this.

Su.x

Mandy - your comments are very sensible and pretty much what I would expect to do.

As I said in my first post my advert states what is required :- not suitable for young children, need neutering and innoculations, not kept solitary and also I have quoted the minimum hutch size needed as recommended by the RSPCA.

I have already picked up a mass of leaflets from my local vet to go with the rabbits - bunny MOT, Myxamotosis, VHD and Caring for your rabbit.

I took photos of my hutches/garden when I went to a rescue and would expect the same for people coming to see me. These rabbits are still only 4 weeks old so in advertising early I am hoping to build a rapport with people.

Talking to people will clearly give a sense of how responsible they are, who the rabbit is for, thier experience and knowledge. The first visit to see the bunnies would be as much for them to see of they like them as for me to see if they are suitable. I would automatically tell them that if they have any problems then please return the rabbits to me and I would accept them back.

I would say though that the person on this forum (sorry long thread and can't remember who said it) who quoted 'that people may get bored or find it is all too much effort once they have the rabbit' - a home check does not solve this problem.

I will take on board your comments regarding a home check and will wait to see what interest I get. Someone asked where I am based? - West Sussex.

Linda

Im not a rescue centre but I do take animals in and rehome them, I only advertise in veterinary surgeries and on rescue websites such as rabbit rehome for example.
My reasons are that if someone is at the surgery already it kind of indicates that they do take their other pets to be treated (always a good sign) and I can discreetly ask the surgery staff for a little background, nothing personal, just 'are they regular clients', 'do the animals seem well cared for and problems they have been in for are not in their opinion down to bad animal husbandry or if it was did they work to change the way they cared for the pet'
With the rescue ads I feel people that are looking here have gone out of their way to find a suitable pet and aren't just browsing through the paper or passing a shop window and on spur of the moment a pet would be cool and not thought of the time, effort, money and love it needs.
You don't have to neccessarily need to hand over the buns to a rescue and burden (usually) an already overrun homing centre. You can ask them to forward your details to potential owners if they do not have what the prospective owner is looking for.
The main things you need to do where ever you advertise is:

Home check and follow up checks
Draw up a small adoption form entailing yours and their details and a statement confirming that they shall neuter and vaccinate as reccommended by a vet and in bold IF I THE UNDERSIGNED NEW OWNER CAN NO LONGER FOR ANY REASON CONTINUE TO CARE FOR THE ABOVE ANIMAL, I AM LEGALLY BOUND TO RETURN THE ANIMAL TO ........(your name) TO BE REHOMED.
Ensure they are aware of the responsibility both financially and spatially.
Just go with their reactions when you tell them the cost of neutering and vaccs and insurance etc...

There is no reason for you not to do the above, you dont have to be a registered rescue to have an agreement, Ive done this for years and its a safeguard for the animals future and to this day I have always had owers come to me first with any problems they have had or if they cant keep them any longer. Its great peace of mind :)

As for donations or charges thats totally up to you, I nearly always ask for a donation because unless the animals are too young I get them neutered or vaccs and I certainly can't afford to not ask!
If they are babies I would just rehome free of charge not being a rescue centre as they have to pay out for the above in a short time so as long as I see evidence at the next follow up visit im happy :)

Wow I waffled on there didn't I??? Sorry! :oops:

Anyways GOOD LUCK!! :D
Give them this website to look at!!!!

ooops we must have been writing at the same time! :lol:

I forgot, I always put on my advertisement that a home check is required, then it filters unwanted homes straight away ;)

I would say though that the person on this forum (sorry long thread and can't remember who said it) who quoted 'that people may get bored or find it is all too much effort once they have the rabbit' - a home check does not solve this problem

sorry my post wasnt very clear bracken :oops:

I happily paid this price for good, healthy, genuine animals. If people are not prepared to pay for animals then I would ask - do they have the funding for caring for them? i.e vet fees

I was actually thinking of this when I wrote that. What I was trying to say was that bad owners do buy rabbits and then loose interest and it probably happens quite a lot :(

And I think that maybe if you do have homechecks it would help your buns find better homes. I dont think it would solve the problem in general, I meant it might help your buns :D

Back