• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Foxes broke into eglu, ate my bunny

So very sorry to read about your poor Gypsy.:cry:

I didn't know what an 'eglu' was but have googled it- why is it so expensive?
sorry buit it looks like a plastic box too small for a rabbit-

What am I missing?!! :?

Rachel x

I'm sorry for your loss as well.
I'm trying VERY HARD not to imagine how it looks like :(.
Never seen a fox eat a rabbit except on toons before but it must look horrible in reality :(

the price they charge and the fact they claim they are fox proof is not on!

If they do claim them to be fox-proof and they clearly aren't this is almost certainly a matter for the local trading standards department. Anything sold in the UK must be "fit for purpose" and do what it's claimed or advertised to do.

Involving trading standards won't help this rabbit but it may help others avoid a similar fate.

Last edited:
I know it wont help at all, but if they claim it is fox proof, at the very least they should give you a full refund on the price of the eglu

So very sorry to read about your poor Gypsy.:cry:

I didn't know what an 'eglu' was but have googled it- why is it so expensive?
sorry buit it looks like a plastic box too small for a rabbit-

What am I missing?!! :?

Rachel x

because its a tedious designer gimick. such things are always overpriced as they put looks before functionality. ;)

not having a go at anyone who has bought one, i think the manufacturers should be more responsible though. very sorry for the loss of your rabbit, frankie.

How awful- so sorry to hear of your loss and thank you for posting about the eglu.-Suex
Mia- where did you buy that anti-fox alarm? -Sue

Hi. Woke up yesterday to find 2 foxes had broken into my eglu by pulling run door off its hinges, and were eating my beautiful bunny Gypsy. Other eglu owners need to check their hinges. Omlet say they changed the manufacturing of the green plastic clips in April/May 2008 and they are now made from a different material, but that doesn't help if you bought your eglu before then. They also say they "will now consider a change to our literature to include the checking of clip security at regular intervals". So please check. Don't want anyone else to lose their bunny:cry:

I used tie wraps on the door of the eglu that I use occasionally, they are bloody awful things. so sad to hear about what happened. :(

Last edited:
So sorry to hear about your poor bunny.

When you are feeling stronger, I would write Eglu a letter of complaint if I were you. Eglu shouldn't be allowed to sell those for rabbits, they are completely unsuitable - as many people on here have been saying for a while.
It would be good to add another voice and another reason why they shoudn't be selling them.

so sorry to your rabbit mine are fine as they are in a thead away from foxes :D

so sorry to hear about your bunny though :cry:

there are alot of vixens around at the moment wanting to feed there young, its the time of year, as dustbin waste is not suitable to carry back, i know everyone worries about this, and would not want to wish this on anyone, foxes cant help it, its there nature, and pets buns are seen as easier work, my security light does not deter them more like " thank you very much" but i have 2 very good guard buns that make such a racket, if one is at the botton of my garden i wake up very quick,

i am so so sorry at your loss :(:cry: {{hugs}}

check and triple check everyone even if you are sure you checked earlier check before you go to bed as well, :( looking at a few theads today im reckoning there are few pups to feed, and determined vixens at the moment

oh im so SORRY:cry::cry::cry:im so sorry its so sad...:cry:!!

hugs and kisses to you!!
you poor thing:cry:!!
im so thankful that we dont have fox's herre!

Im so sorry about your little bun:( I have a rablu too, thankyou for the warning, I live in a typical victorian terrace, and all the gardens ,are linked, all have 6ft fences and theres no back gates, I know there are foxes in the area, but so far not seen any in the gardens, my buns freefange all day in the garden then shut in at night, in their run attatched to the rablu, but I will double check now, I have to say I have been pleased with my rablu, but as we moved a year ago, from a large garden to a small, decked garden Im going to get a 6ft double decker hutch, Im new to the forum and I must say I love all the different views!:D I hope you get another bunny in time.

Back