• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fox attack! I don't know what to do

Oh Helen.Im so sorry.Blasted foxes.
Its a shame they dont understand that bunnies in hutches are pets and go after the wildies instead.
Really hope you get something sorted to protect Dillon.
RIP Sally.xx

How absolutely awful, that must have been a devastating fine. Try and bring your bunnies indoors, predators will get to them unless very well protected.

Vibes for all of you xxxxxxxxxx

Oh no, how awful :cry: I'm so sorry about Sally. I hope Dillan will be OK.

How about a sonic fox deterrent, like this one from Amazon? The reviews on Amazon aren't very good, but I found some good reviews on chicken forums.

I read something about sprinkling used coffee grounds around the garden, as foxes are meant to hate the smell or something, but I don't know if that's true!

Sounds like once you fix the tops of the runs tonight, they'll be quite secure. I really hope the other buns will be OK xx

Oh no, how awful :cry: I'm so sorry about Sally. I hope Dillan will be OK.

How about a sonic fox deterrent, like this one from Amazon? The reviews on Amazon aren't very good, but I found some good reviews on chicken forums.

I read something about sprinkling used coffee grounds around the garden, as foxes are meant to hate the smell or something, but I don't know if that's true!

Sounds like once you fix the tops of the runs tonight, they'll be quite secure. I really hope the other buns will be OK xx

I'm seriously considering getting my dad to wee on the back wall. My mums ordered some spray that mimics fox territory markings and is meant to scare others away. I don't think it returned again last night. I was worried Dillan was going to die of shock. I think, well I hope the fox had pretty much made its move when I heard the most noise and got up. It was my worst nightmare seeing it there and I don't know how I got downstairs and into the garden so quickly when it was just inches from killing Dillan. As awful as it sounds he's my cuddle bun and also the youngest and it would have been all the more sad if he'd died too.

Helen xx

So sorry. :(
Perhaps Dillan can stay can stay inside for a while? Or would it be possible to bond him with the other two?

So sorry. :(
Perhaps Dillan can stay can stay inside for a while? Or would it be possible to bond him with the other two?

He's staying in again tonight. He's been in the garden and even been in his hutch and run whilst I cleaned it out. He was looking for Sally again and now he seems to know she's gone and doesn't want to go in the setup for any length of time.

My other pair are a male and female and Dillan and Phoenix(male) don't get on at all and just about tolerate sharing one boundary fence. I wasn't planning on getting anymore rabbits until I moved out of my parents but I don't want Dillan to be alone. Phoenix is 8 years old now but still going strong, I always thought I would be bonding his partner with Sally and Dillan. Not the other way around.

Helen xx

I am so sorry about your Sally.

I had had rabbits for 9 years before the first fox attack. It wasn't an attack as such, but tried to get into our fox proof hutch. I heard Sunshine scream. I was up and out the back door in seconds. I saw the fox leg it over the high fence but very sadly the fox caused my girl to have a heart attack and she was dead when I found her.

Sunshine escaped out of the hutch as soon as I tried to get him and took 3 of us nearly 45 minutes in the dark to catch him. Not before he screamed again. :cry: I kept him in for a few weeks and got him a new companion. I put them out again. Big mistake. A few months later Nancy had her ear ripped off. The fox couldnt get in the hutch put could get her ear. It was a miracle she survived. After that my rabbits became permanent indoor rabbits.

I know many people can't do this, but just to make you aware how cunning a fox is. They will spent hours trying to get in, that is why my old girl of 9 had a heart attack, it was too much for her. It never occurred to me that a fox would hang around to even get an ear.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry :( What a horrible thing to happen, I do hope you manage to keep the fox away and prevent it from coming back :(

Dillan has happily settled down today. He's been eating, grooming, even did a little binky in the garden. His setup outside seems to smell of fox which is why he doesn't want to be in there. What could I use to get rid of the smell? I'm currently filling in Sally's role of wife-bun and giving Dillan lots of strokes, kisses and nose rubs. He seems to be happy with the fuss for the time being.

I don't even think I've quite come to terms with that Sally has gone yet because I've been worrying so much about Dillan, Phoenix and Megan and getting their setups sorted.

Helen xx

as everyone else has said - the fox WILL be back now he knows they are there (and its changing territory time for foxes so they will be marking out new territories).

I would either bring them in or purchase NOW a totally sealed ultra fox proof hutch and run where the hutch is WITHIN the run all sealed in so the fox cannot get anywhere near the hutch at all.

Set it all on concrete slabs with padlocks to run and hutch.

Personally speaking we have electric fence, bolted and padlocked aviary style runs, bolted hutches inside those runs with sealed boards up at night, sonic foxwatches, and spray that Scoot stuff (only works for a few days and then only to warn them off - will NOT stop them coming once they know there are rabbits there).

Even then we see the odd fox coming into the garden on the off chance we have left something open or off.

One night last week we had vandals in on the allotments who turned off my electric fence round my hens (rabbits are in garden, hens on allotments next door) and opened the aviary door to them - Fox was in within a couple of hours that night - he must have patrolled EVERY night just on the off chance.

They will come back again and again and they can dig, jump, climb, tear, chew and generally get through stuff you would not believe.

Back