• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Found a lump on lip

katie2000

Alpha Buck
So just as the bunnies are both staring to feel a little better, the vet has found a lump on Pips lower lip. She thinks it has grown a little over 7 days. It’s around the size of a pea and is flesh coloured with a few bits that look like the top of a yellow headed spot.

She isn’t sure what might have caused this so we’ve started him on a course of Baytril. I’m worried that I may have somehow caused it when I was syringe feeding him as it’s on the exact corner where I would go in with the syringe.

Also, we are really struggling with administering the Baytril - he HATES it....was crying and pawing at his mouth this morning - I feel awful!! He is now super stressed out and lying in the corner of their room after his Baytril ordeal and I didn’t even manage to get all of it down.

So just as the bunnies are both staring to feel a little better, the vet has found a lump on Pips lower lip. She thinks it has grown a little over 7 days. It’s around the size of a pea and is flesh coloured with a few bits that look like the top of a yellow headed spot.

She isn’t sure what might have caused this so we’ve started him on a course of Baytril. I’m worried that I may have somehow caused it when I was syringe feeding him as it’s on the exact corner where I would go in with the syringe.

Also, we are really struggling with administering the Baytril - he HATES it....was crying and pawing at his mouth this morning - I feel awful!! He is now super stressed out and lying in the corner of their room after his Baytril ordeal and I didn’t even manage to get all of it down.

Poor Bun :cry: It might be Treponematosis (Rabbit Syphilis) Lesions sometimes only appear on the mouth/nose and the genitals are not affected. It is also not confined to just breeding Rabbits. It can be treated with a course of Penicillin injections

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Bacterial/Treponema_Inf_Rabbits.htm

Has Pip had the Nobivac Myxo-RHD vaccine in the last few days ? A mild form of Myxomatosis can be a rare adverse reaction to the vaccine

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/?id=-455496

Thank you for your reply 😊

The vet did actually say it looked a bit like a myxi nodule but given that he was was vaccinated (in September) and it’s not the right time of year, as well the fact they are house bunnies she thought it was unlikely.

Also, it’s scabby, just looks like a firm very round lump with a pustule type head to it.

Has anyone got any tips for the Baytril? I thought about mixing it with some purée? Maybe banana? You would think I was trying to poison him with the reaction I get - feel so bad!!

Thank you for your reply ��

The vet did actually say it looked a bit like a myxi nodule but given that he was was vaccinated (in September) and it’s not the right time of year, as well the fact they are house bunnies she thought it was unlikely.

Also, it’s scabby, just looks like a firm very round lump with a pustule type head to it.

Has anyone got any tips for the Baytril? I thought about mixing it with some purée? Maybe banana? You would think I was trying to poison him with the reaction I get - feel so bad!!

Baytril does taste awful and most Rabbits hate it. You could try mixing it with some veg puree baby food, the ones that come in the pouches. You can buy branded ones like Ella's Kitchen or Hipp and most supermarkets do their own label ones. If the lesion does not improve with Baytril I'd mention Treponematosis to the Vet. The Vet I used to go to when I had my first case of it actually laughed at me when I suggested it :roll: I went to another Vet and Treponematosis was confirmed, appropriate treatment given and the Rabbit had no further flare ups.

Last edited:
Great - thank you! I’ve bought some carrot and apple pouches so fingers crossed that does the trick.

Does anyone know if antibiotics are effective if split into two smaller does? Not entirely sure how they work (and I feel like I really should know) but thought it might be easier it to get it into him if he had x2 smaller doses.

Thank you!!!

Great - thank you! I’ve bought some carrot and apple pouches so fingers crossed that does the trick.

Does anyone know if antibiotics are effective if split into two smaller does? Not entirely sure how they work (and I feel like I really should know) but thought it might be easier it to get it into him if he had x2 smaller doses.

Thank you!!!

Baytril is most effective if given in one daily dose. Although divided doses can be given a therapeutic level may not be achieved. So personally I'd persevere with the once a day dosing if at all possible.

dear katie2000,-my intention is not to supersede any advice already given,--lagamorphs[rabbits]-aquire abscess,s,some are visible,and hidden inside.-an full body xray[radiograph]- is required to locate.-I have had good luck with antibiotic[chloramphenicol]-to eventually rid my bunz of this problem,works well with ec.head tilt,ear infection.-baytril has its limits but will not penetrate the membrane.-please visit this link http://www.medirabbit.com -baytril does come in flavors.ie strawberry.-palatable.,. once again exotic dvm,s are too few and far between.--sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa hiding in my cave

Thank you so much for checking in. It’s going much better thanks - he’s still not delighted but doesn’t think I’m trying to poison him anymore so I’m managing to get the majority of the dose in which is good.

I’m not sure it’s making any difference to his little lump though...back to the vets on Friday 😢

Thank you so much for checking in. It’s going much better thanks - he’s still not delighted but doesn’t think I’m trying to poison him anymore so I’m managing to get the majority of the dose in which is good.

I’m not sure it’s making any difference to his little lump though...back to the vets on Friday ��

I'd mention the possibility of Treponematosis. If it were to be what is wrong then it wont respond to Baytril but it will to a course of Depocillin Injections xx

I will definitely talk to the vet about this on Friday - thank you. Still kind of hoping that the antibiotics will kick in over next couple of days 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

Back