• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

For those who use Megazorb for indoor bunnies, question..

To be slightly different and slightly controversial :oops: I used to use megazorb then fill basket with hay, but then I figured mine don't dig in the box (unless they dont like the hay :roll:), tend to eat from the top of the hay pile and are free range so they are only in there for hay nomming and toileting so I switched to sawdust (not the fine stuff). I assumed the main issue with sawdust was the respiritory issue which I figured was going to be minimal based on the contact with it? I do mine daily and sling the whole lot in a bin bag and put the bags out with the rubbish... I haven't been rumbled yet! I was always worried that my too would eat the megazorb and they used to love ripping newspaper :?

I use megazorb and only change it once every 3 days (otherwise he gets confused and pees everywhere because he thinks I'm changing it because he's not meant to pee in the tray). It absorbs very well and my flat never smells rabbity :)
He doesn't throw it around; never digs at stuff in his tray. Buckley prefers to dig at the various phonebooks dotted around that are specifically for him to dig at. He tears up the junk mail too. He's very good; never attacks mail for us, attacks junk mail, and when it was his birthday he got sent a card and he nibbled the edge of the envelope like he was trying to open it :love:
But yeah, we like megazorb. It's cheap and it does the job :D

Last edited:
I hated Megazorb. It stuck to everything and ended up all through my house. I use wood pellet litter, I clean out the soiled bits from the litter trays every day and totally renew them every second or thirs day.

i tried Carefresh and megazorb but switched because of the price and i wasnt sure my two werent going to eat it...
I now pay £13 for 20kg of Back 2 Nature which is recycled, compressed newspaper pellets which last 2 weeks when i clean out every 3 days.

Newspaper, then pellets, then hay. My two dig in their poo box and have an occasional nibble but because its just paper im not concerned. Doesnt stick to fur and absorbs like a beast! Plus my boyfriends parents can still use the rabbit stuff on their veggie plot and composter!

Last edited:
Jane that sounds like good stuff!

Sorry if I'm being really dim here, but is Megazorb really bad for them if eaten (I'm assuming?) I don't actually know what it's made of! :oops:

i have 2 large litter trays and use megazorb, it usually lasts 2 days between 4 bunnies if twice a day you take the top layer of dirty hay off and replace with fresh hay, i had to do this when i ran out of megazorb:oops:

Sorry if I'm being really dim here, but is Megazorb really bad for them if eaten (I'm assuming?) I don't actually know what it's made of! :oops:

It's made from wood pulp - I always think it looks like tissues that you've put in the wash. :lol::lol:

The pieces are very small; as with any sort of bedding I don't think eating large quantities would be great for them but I imagine if they happened to nibble/ingest a small piece or two it should pass through - it doesn't swell up or clog together when it's wet so there wouldn't be that worry. :D

I do what missFloppyears does though - I have a huge tray, lined with plenty of newspaper, then megazorb and hay on top. Every morning I scoop out the old hay & any soaked megazorb (my two tend to pee in the same place all the time) and just top up with fresh hay. The whole tray gets cleaned every few days. I also have a smaller tray that just has paper and hay in, but that needs changing every day.

If time in the morning is the issue Sarah, you could buy an extra set of litter trays and fill them of a night. In the morning, you could quickly swap the dirty ones for the clean ones. Then that night you could clean the dirty ones from the day before and fill them ready for the next morning and so on.... that's what I do. :D It doesn't actually make less work of course, but it does mean you can do it at a time that suits you better. ;)

Jane that sounds like good stuff!

It is! i wouldnt use anything else now... I went a couple of weeks without it once and the difference it makes is immense...

i tried Carefresh and megazorb but switched because of the price and i wasnt sure my two werent going to eat it...
I now pay £13 for 20kg of Back 2 Nature which is recycled, compressed newspaper pellets which last 2 weeks when i clean out every 3 days.

Newspaper, then pellets, then hay. My two dig in their poo box and have an occasional nibble but because its just paper im not concerned. Doesnt stick to fur and absorbs like a beast! Plus my boyfriends parents can still use the rabbit stuff on their veggie plot and composter!

^^ me too...well I tried carefresh and they DID eat it - they would dig for it under newspaper and everything!:shock::?

I use aubiose now...its great - VERY absorbent and last for ages...Im quite fussy and spot check their trays once a day....then do a full clean out once a week and scrub etc...OH changes them over once a week if im not here.

I dont lay newspaper either as mine used to tear it up and mess up the trays .....I just fill the tray with aubiose and place a handful of hay oin them as well as in their hey racks above...then scoop out once a day any absorbed areas...its great - the wee all sinks ot the bottom and the top stays really dry...and the buns dont eat it...perfect!:thumb:

^^ me too...well I tried carefresh and they DID eat it - they would dig for it under newspaper and everything!:shock::?

I use aubiose now...its great - VERY absorbent and last for ages...Im quite fussy and spot check their trays once a day....then do a full clean out once a week and scrub etc...OH changes them over once a week if im not here.

I dont lay newspaper either as mine used to tear it up and mess up the trays .....I just fill the tray with aubiose and place a handful of hay oin them as well as in their hey racks above...then scoop out once a day any absorbed areas...its great - the wee all sinks ot the bottom and the top stays really dry...and the buns dont eat it...perfect!:thumb:

Can i ask when you scoop out do you find the tray has got wet or does the litter stop it from getting to the bottom? Im trying to stop them from digging down to the newspaper and turfing out all the hay and mixing it up with the litter, which in a massive underbed storage box for a litter tray is A LOT of mess! I have to put the hay in the litter tray as they dont eat from a hay rack so im debating on just putting the litter in with hay on top...?

I hated Megazorb. It stuck to everything and ended up all through my house. I use wood pellet litter, I clean out the soiled bits from the litter trays every day and totally renew them every second or thirs day.

I too hated Megazorb. I switched years ago to a horse bedding which I think is just a wood pellet. It smells nice and I swear the most absorb thing I have ever seen. I use a very thin layer because Julie pees a lot and the stuff rises up to fill the tray very fast. I change it for that reason every other day but if I use more it can last a week with out getting smelly. The pellets have a slight nice woodsy fragrance. It is cheap too. I swear if my house ever flooded I woold use it to absorb all the water and just sweep it up. It is that absorbent.

We use the cat litter wooden pellets from Pets at Home, 2 big bags for £18, lasts a few weeks. It smells nice and is absorbent, full change every 3 days unless Rosie has dug it out (which she does fequently) then it's full change every day :lol:

Back