• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

For Those Who Have Their Own Sanctuary.

Does there have to be one, surely its one and the same thing.
I guess a sanctuary, as Hugo's there has said, has a select criteria of animals they take in, they are probably more organised about quarantine, numbers and finances. However anybody who sets up a rescue must be a bit of a softie and a glutton for punishment!

I just mean at what point do you call yourself a sanctuary? Is it someone who appeals for help with funding and is open to take in rabbits on recommendation rather than seeking out rabbits themselves?

Can I just add that if you run a rescue and allow people into your home (as in house) whether that be to view animals or to use the toilet then your house insurance actually becomes void unless you have business insurance. So be very careful.

We have liability insurance as well as the normal house insurance, it's not cheap but it does mean that if anything happened to someone while they where here we wouldn't lose the house. It also means we can attend fete's fundrasiers etc with the animals.:)

I just mean at what point do you call yourself a sanctuary? Is it someone who appeals for help with funding and is open to take in rabbits on recommendation rather than seeking out rabbits themselves?

I don't know, we've recently started to call ourselves a sanctuary, mainly because we now take in a specific type of animals ( mainly ones who are set to be PTS or have problems which would make them unrehomable). We don't ask for any funding, we do have 2 rabbit sponsors and often get donations, in the form of materials and equipment, from people who know of us. Lately the animals who have come to us have been through the rescue who we used to foster for and the vet- in fact 3 of the last 4 are via the vet. Like Hugo's there, we have no idea of what is going to arrive next and what kind of work will be involved. We are hoping to slow things down and actually get our housing etc organised. When Gigi our pig arrived it was all stops out to organise a pen and then a paddock for when she was big enough, our aim will be to have a series of pens for different species and that will limit how many we can have. Ultimately, I would like to have a place where people can see animals kept in ideal conditions, perhaps even with examples of a poor set up (no animal included) in the hope this would educated them about animal welfare- eg hens in a secure, free range area and a battery hen crate. We have never looked for animals in the past 3 years- except Bumble and Pixie- they have all found us.:D

I'd agree with this.

BTW, for Hugo's There. Have just looked through your website and am in complete awe of what you do. I'll be after a few of your mascots as pressies :). Are you doing the ones with suckers on yet?

Thank you so much. I do have a Hugo sucker mascot made, but I will make them to order. I must get the old knitting needles out and get some made up so I can put them on the website :D

Back