• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Food bowls

I scatter pellets on the floor of their shed. Veg I bring out on a plate for them and tip it into the food bowl, they will generally run off with a peice of veg then comeback for another once they've finished it :wave:

I scatter their pellets and also hide them (in their hay, in their tunnel, in their boxes, in their hay manger etc).

But I give them their veg in a big ceramic bowl which they share ...... Rascal gets stuck in whereas Dizzi takes a bit and runs off to eat it, then comes back for a bit more, so I sometimes put her a little pile wherever she's decided to eat that day!

I scatter all pellets into their storage box full of hay :D And then chuck the veggies on the floor everywhere :) They did used to go in bowls but with 5 buns fighting for bowls... it got messy :shock:

i dont use bowls for food - everything is scatter fed except profibre pellets, which are given by hand.

I recently started scattering their nuggets as it means they have to move about a bit to get it and it stops Joejoe wedging his head in the bowl so Jess can't get any :roll::lol: I give them their veg in a ceramic bowl which they share, Joejoe stops eating after a couple of minutes then Jess takes a turn so seems quite fair. They get their hay in an upturned Ikea microwave food cover which is like a nice wide shallowish bowl, which they rarely manage to completely tip over.

I scatter everything for everyone. I figure that no one gives them bowls in the wild so not much need here. I chop everything into small bits to mix through their hay box, on shelves in their hutch and across the floor. For the foster rabbits in the run I give half their feed scattered on the ground when the grass isn't good.

If you want to use a bowl but also keep their mealtime interesting I have an aikiou feeder I got from zooplus recently. It is £20 but they go loopy when they see it and are very funny chasing it and nudging it as they try to work out how to get stuff out of it.

I tend to move it round the hutches so they all get a shot from time to time and gives ome variety!

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/accessories/feeder_water_bottles/bowls/204597

At the moment I am using hamster bowls for N&S's pellets but everything else is scattered.

Mine have china bowls each....either the brown ones or ones with RABBIT on them....Pellets in bowls and greens scattered.
The ferrets have a plastic bowl.Its heavy but they still chuck it about.Hence the plastic.Yes,they are worse behaved than the buns,if you can believe it!! They also eat from the floor when they have to as theyve chucked the biscuits everywhere!! (James Wellbeloved....they wont eat nothing but!!!!)

I give my two their pellets in a bowl each, Roo has more as he's a growing boy and Peanut is very small so only eats a little. They've only just been bonded so feeding two buns at the same time is all new to me.

Unfortunately Peanut thinks her SS pellets are treats and she grabs one pellet out of the bowl and runs off with it, she does this with every one :lol: Funny and cute as it is, it does worry me because it takes her longer to eat them and if I'm not careful Roo will move onto her bowl. What I do is take her bowl away when Roo has finished to stop him eating too much and sneakily feed her the rest by hand when Roo isn't looking.

Not sure how I solve that problem though?

Veg/greens I just give them in small piles each, wherever they are sat at the time, at least they eat these at the same pace :lol:

I give my two their pellets in a bowl each, Roo has more as he's a growing boy and Peanut is very small so only eats a little. They've only just been bonded so feeding two buns at the same time is all new to me.

Unfortunately Peanut thinks her SS pellets are treats and she grabs one pellet out of the bowl and runs off with it, she does this with every one :lol: Funny and cute as it is, it does worry me because it takes her longer to eat them and if I'm not careful Roo will move onto her bowl. What I do is take her bowl away when Roo has finished to stop him eating too much and sneakily feed her the rest by hand when Roo isn't looking.

Not sure how I solve that problem though?

Veg/greens I just give them in small piles each, wherever they are sat at the time, at least they eat these at the same pace :lol:

Nutmeg does this too. Normally she'll take one and hide under my desk so I normally then put the bowl under the desk with her and she's got the idea now... finally. I also break Smudge's pellets in two so it takes him a bit longer. He does get more than Nutmeg anyway cos he's bigger.

Mine have thier pellets thrown on the floor, or given by hand (depends how excited they get :lol:) in the morning.

And their veg at tea time, again just put on the floor.
They run around choosing their favouirite bits, to see who can get there first :lol:

Mine are all scattered. I want them to spend a bit more time looking and eating trying to mimic a bit of natural behaviour. Also there isn't much squabbling as they're all concentrating on themselves and what they can pick up and they can be a bit more separated.

Back