• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Slowing down greedy guzzlers

Tiggertime

Young Bun
Tigger has been getting a little too over-excited with his bedtime Burgess nuggets, so short of hand feeding him or using the treat balls, I was looking for any other ways to slow his guzzling down.

I had looked at those slow-feed bowls you can get for cats and dogs but I'm not sure they'd work with a bunny.

Any suggestions?

Tigger has been getting a little too over-excited with his bedtime Burgess nuggets, so short of hand feeding him or using the treat balls, I was looking for any other ways to slow his guzzling down.

I had looked at those slow-feed bowls you can get for cats and dogs but I'm not sure they'd work with a bunny.

Any suggestions?

I hand-feed with my two. It doesn't take very long at all.

I hand-feed with my two. It doesn't take very long at all.

I agree with Omi. Not only does hand feeding slow down the intake it also provides some important bonding time between Rabbit and care giver.

If the ‘guzzling pellets’ is a new behaviour this *might* be because the Rabbit is unable to eat enough hay due to the onset of dental problems. Many people say ‘my Rabbit has access to a lot of hay 24/7’. But that’s only a good thing if the Rabbit is actually eating A LOT of it. So do be certain that your Rabbit is eating a lot of hay every day. Not just nibbling at it now and again. Monitor poo output. Rabbits with a poor hay intake tend to pass smaller,harder poo. Weighing your Rabbit weekly is another important part of routine health monitoring.

Do you feed pellets in a food bowl? This is a very unnatural method, scatter feeding is far better. It encourages the Rabbit to forage for food, a natural behaviour and therefore can be considered to be an environmental enrichment in a domestic pet setting.

Treat balls are an option, or snuffle mats. But supervision is needed if using any type of pellet dispenser that is made from a material that is indigestible, eg plastic or fabric. Personally I would not advise leaving anything like that with a Rabbit for hours on end if you are not able to make sure that the Rabbit isn’t chewing and ingesting plastic/fabric.

Another thing you could try is to push the pellets into an edible willow/sea grass ball. Something like one of these

https://www.viovet.co.uk/Rosewood-Boredom-Breaker-Fun-Balls/c11899/

Don't know if you're using an underbed storage box as a litter tray but you could try mixing the pellets through the hay in it.

Back