• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Flystrike Preventative Products

The girl bunny we used Rear Guard on yesterday lunchtime passed away at 9:30am this morning. She was perfectly well yesterday and my husband said that she came to him for a fuss before he left for work at 7am. We have no idea what happened to her, my son found her floppy. She had not reingested her faeces overnight as I found them in a heap in her run. By the time we reached the vets, she had gone and had blood running out of her... the vet said it appeared to be coming from her vulva.

She was only 4 months old and an absolute sweetheart. I can't help but question if the Rear Guard played a part as she was licking herself after it had been applied and she was given a clean bill of health at the vets on Wednesday.

The girl bunny we used Rear Guard on yesterday lunchtime passed away at 9:30am this morning. She was perfectly well yesterday and my husband said that she came to him for a fuss before he left for work at 7am. We have no idea what happened to her, my son found her floppy. She had not reingested her faeces overnight as I found them in a heap in her run. By the time we reached the vets, she had gone and had blood running out of her... the vet said it appeared to be coming from her vulva.

She was only 4 months old and an absolute sweetheart. I can't help but question if the Rear Guard played a part as she was licking herself after it had been applied and she was given a clean bill of health at the vets on Wednesday.
I'm so sorry, that's awful :(

Was she fully vaccinated?

I know some people think rearguard can be dangerous but it's so hard to know what to do for the best sometimes :(

I'm so sorry, that's awful :(

Was she fully vaccinated?

I know some people think rearguard can be dangerous but it's so hard to know what to do for the best sometimes :(

No, unfortunately we hadn't yet had her vaccinated. I asked the vet if she thought that it could have been viral (the obvious concern being VHD) but she didn't feel it was as there was no discharge from her nose or mouth. She said it could have been a uterine infection. She couldn't 100% rule out a reaction to Rear Guard but thought it was unlikely.

Two beautiful bunnies gone within the space of just 3 days. I can't stop hearing my son's words repeating in my head - "What did you do to her?!" as he brought her indoors sobbing his heart out 😭

How dreadful :cry: I am afraid I disagree with your Vet. RHD is very likely. A uterine infection would be exceptionally rare in such a young Doe. With RHD there is often no symptoms but sudden death. There is not always a blood discharge from the nose and/or anus. Ther only way to be certain that it was not RHD would be from a full Post Mortem.

Please forgive me for mentioning this now, when you are clearly distraught. But it is essential that no more Rabbits are bought into your home for at least 4 months given that RHD2 cannot be ruled out without a full post mortem. In order to try to minimise the risk of you and your family having to endure such a terrible situation again I would strongly advise that if you do eventually bring other Rabbits in that they are already Vaccinated. Baby Rabbits can be vaccinated with the triple vaccine from 5 weeks of age

https://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/?id=-476284

Good Breeders do not sell unvaccinated Baby Rabbits, the risk of RHD is so very high these days. If the Breeder did not do so you could ask them to arrange for it to be done and you would pay for it.

Pet Shop bought Rabbits will not be vaccinated. Rabbits from reputable Rescues always will be.

I would also advise you to read this information

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/ar...c-disease/how-to-deal-with-an-outbreak-of-rhd

I really am so sorry for your losses :cry:

Last edited:
I am so very sorry to see this update :cry: I agree with Inspector Morse, it does sound likely to have been RHD :cry: If it had been a uterine infection, I think she would have had other symptoms before she died.

I'm so sorry for your losses. Did you have a funeral for them? Maybe plant a memorial bush with the kids.

RHD would also be my first thought for sudden death in young, unvaccinated rabbits. It would be a good idea to give everything a good clean down with something like Virkon S disinfectant (powder or tablets - readily available online). Leave it to air dry if possible. Then again just before you use them again, after a quarantine period (assuming you are going to - or even if you are not keeping them so you don't spread any virus). 4 months seems a long time, but you could start to look for a vaccinated, neutered pair from a local rescue. That will also save you from putting them through neutering - less stress for you - and something for the family to look forwards to.

RIP baby bunnies.

I'm so sorry for your losses. Did you have a funeral for them? Maybe plant a memorial bush with the kids.

RHD would also be my first thought for sudden death in young, unvaccinated rabbits. It would be a good idea to give everything a good clean down with something like Virkon S disinfectant (powder or tablets - readily available online). Leave it to air dry if possible. Then again just before you use them again, after a quarantine period (assuming you are going to - or even if you are not keeping them so you don't spread any virus). 4 months seems a long time, but you could start to look for a vaccinated, neutered pair from a local rescue. That will also save you from putting them through neutering - less stress for you - and something for the family to look forwards to.

RIP baby bunnies.

4 months is the advised Lock Down time according to FHB

Unfortunately, we already have new bunnies. I thoroughly disinfected both hutches after our gorgeous pair passed away and will be booking these ones in to be vaccinated as soon as possible. I'm keeping a very close eye on them for any concerning changes in their behaviour etc and have everything firmly crossed...

Unfortunately, we already have new bunnies. I thoroughly disinfected both hutches after our gorgeous pair passed away and will be booking these ones in to be vaccinated as soon as possible. I'm keeping a very close eye on them for any concerning changes in their behaviour etc and have everything firmly crossed...

Oh dear :cry:

1 bunny came from a local breeder and is 11 weeks old today and the other two a friend surprised my children with on Saturday after she visited the local poultry market. I used an entire bottle of Johnson's Clean 'n' Safe disinfectant on each hutch...

I'm so sorry for you lost the other bunny too. I'd make a vet app (different vet practice) & get your new buns vaccinated like today. Watching for signs with RHVD2 isn't going to be any kind of protection

Have you now got three new bunnies? I very much agree with joey&boo and think they all should be vaccinated today if possible. There will be no signs to look for with RHD2.

Are the bunnies all in together, or in two hutches, and have you had them sexed?

I've done a lot of research and stumbled across a number of rabbit forums where owners have reported severe reactions and death within 12-24 hours of using Rear Guard. Our lovely girl bunny was licking herself like crazy after I'd applied it - I really do feel that it poisoned her. She was perfectly fine before applying it. It says that it's not to be used on pregnant females as it can cause miscarriage etc, so I wonder if it can also cause the uterus to contract and haemorrhage in females that are not pregnant? I'm never going to know, but what I do know is that I feel incredibly guilty for using the product on her. She didn't deserve to die and the garden feels so empty without her running up and down her hutch waiting for me to open the door and fuss her.

1 bunny came from a local breeder and is 11 weeks old today and the other two a friend surprised my children with on Saturday after she visited the local poultry market. I used an entire bottle of Johnson's Clean 'n' Safe disinfectant on each hutch...
Can you get them vaccinated like today? :(

That won’t kill RHD. You need a Veterinary grade disinfectant such as Anigene

https://www.thevetstore.net/shop/anigene/

But it is all a bit irrelevant now as two new unvaccinated Rabbits are already exposed to a possible RHD outbreak. Very, very sad :cry:

I hope your new rabbits remain well. I would also get them booked in for an urgent vaccination, a rabbit savvy vets will make sure you get an appt asap given you've lost rabbits likely from RHD. Unfortunately the clean and safe won't have any protection from RHD, you need veterinary strength cleaner already mentioned so may be worth moving the rabbits to temporary accommodation (indoors perhaps?) whilst the outdoor accommodation is cleaned appropriately.

Of course it may not have been RHD but always best to be cautious since rabbits often show no symptoms.

That won’t kill RHD. You need a Veterinary grade disinfectant such as Anigene

https://www.thevetstore.net/shop/anigene/

But it is all a bit irrelevant now as two new unvaccinated Rabbits are already exposed to a possible RHD outbreak. Very, very sad :cry:

I didn't know that at the time as the vet said it was highly unlikely to be anything contagious. I would never purposely put an animal in danger and now you're making me feel guilty for just trying to bring my children some comfort after a week of heartache :(

I didn't know that at the time as the vet said it was highly unlikely to be anything contagious. I would never purposely put an animal in danger and now you're making me feel guilty for just trying to bring my children some comfort after a week of heartache :(

Not trying to make you feel guilty, just pointing out the facts. I won’t post any more on here as the situation has upset me a lot

Have you now got three new bunnies? I very much agree with joey&boo and think they all should be vaccinated today if possible. There will be no signs to look for with RHD2.

Are the bunnies all in together, or in two hutches, and have you had them sexed?

Yes, 3 bunnies - all male. I have a double hutch and the youngest is in the bottom and the other two that came from the market are in the top. I'm going to get them booked in today.

Yes, 3 bunnies - all male. I have a double hutch and the youngest is in the bottom and the other two that came from the market are in the top. I'm going to get them booked in today.

I'm sorry if you are already aware of this, but three male bunnies will likely fight when they hit puberty. I don't know how old the oldest two are, but I would discuss neutering when you see the vet today. It's possible that you will need to separate and rebond after neutering, so temporary alternative living arrangements might be necessary.

Back