• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Flystrike Preventative Products

InspectorMorse

Wise Old Thumper
I am on a few FB Rabbit Groups and so many people seem obsessed with using products such as Rearguard as a Flystrike preventer. Over the last 24 years I have never used a Flystrike preventer and I have cared for well over 150 Rabbits, some very elderly and/or mobility compromised. I have never had a case of Flystrike. These treatments contain nasty chemicals and I am really not comfortable using them when good husbandry and vigilance alongside fly deterrents that do not go on the Rabbit seems to work perfectly well.

What do you think ?

I am on a few FB Rabbit Groups and so many people seem obsessed with using products such as Rearguard as a Flystrike preventer. Over the last 24 years I have never used a Flystrike preventer and I have cared for well over 150 Rabbits, some very elderly and/or mobility compromised. I have never had a case of Flystrike. These treatments contain nasty chemicals and I am really not comfortable using them when good husbandry and vigilance alongside fly deterrents that do not go on the Rabbit seems to work perfectly well.

What do you think ?
I agree.

I think people just like the idea that they've done something to prevent it. I mean we go mad if a fly flies in the house.. Most people wouldn't care? [emoji38] We're like on it immediately and it's like a big thing [emoji38]

With Atticus though we're constantly worried about fly strike so are very aware of it I guess. Not everyone checks their buns a couple times a day.

I use Rearguard when I have a bun who gets a dirty bottom due to arthritis/age related inflexibility as I am out of the house for eight hours at a time (at work and travelling to and from work). I've had a bun who died of flystrike and another who I caught in time as it was when I was home but I know that flystrike can develop quickly and I live alone and have no-one to check the buns during my shift.

On vet recommendation I have used Rearguard in these circumstances. I currently only have two buns and they are both quite young and keep themselves clean so I am not using any product at the moment.

I know it is far from ideal but I will use it again when my buns become elderly and less mobile as I can't check them as often as I would like when I am at work.

I was starting to feel a tad paranoid as literally everyone is going on about having to use it between April and September.

I agree with Jane. It's a marketing ploy to sell stuff that people didn't know they (don't) need. Dogs and cats 'must' be treated for fleas every month, so why not apply something to your rabbit as well?

Awareness of flystrike is, however, very important. I've lost one rabbit to it. It was horrific, despite catching it in time. I lost the rabbit a few days later due to the shock. I've had a couple more who had to be protected in their exceptional circumstances - they were outdoor rabbits with open wounds on the face from jaw abscess surgery. They had F10 with insecticide applied as needed. I won't use Rearguard ever again - awful to use, expensive, has common side effects which affect rabbit appetite, and is only licenced to be used on the bum where there is no broken skin - it can't be used on any other area, so has its limitations. It may also give a false sense of security if used regularly for no particular reason. I would not advocate the regular use of flystrike prevention treatments on a normal, healthy rabbit.

Education for the care of rabbits is slowly improving - but there is still a long way to go. Space, company, neuter, vaccinate and hay. They don't need fancy (tiny) hutches and lots of manufactured 'treats'.

I agree with Jane. It's a marketing ploy to sell stuff that people didn't know they (don't) need. Dogs and cats 'must' be treated for fleas every month, so why not apply something to your rabbit as well?

Awareness of flystrike is, however, very important. I've lost one rabbit to it. It was horrific, despite catching it in time. I lost the rabbit a few days later due to the shock. I've had a couple more who had to be protected in their exceptional circumstances - they were outdoor rabbits with open wounds on the face from jaw abscess surgery. They had F10 with insecticide applied as needed. I won't use Rearguard ever again - awful to use, expensive, has common side effects which affect rabbit appetite, and is only licenced to be used on the bum where there is no broken skin - it can't be used on any other area, so has its limitations. It may also give a false sense of security if used regularly for no particular reason. I would not advocate the regular use of flystrike prevention treatments on a normal, healthy rabbit.

Education for the care of rabbits is slowly improving - but there is still a long way to go. Space, company, neuter, vaccinate and hay. They don't need fancy (tiny) hutches and lots of manufactured 'treats'.
Yea I have used f10 on Atticus if he goes outside sometimes depending on how he is, tbh he doesn't go out much anymore because the grass makes him unwell [emoji38]

I don't think I'd use rearguard, my vet doesn't like it either, but I do understand the need for something like it in certain cases.

I don't even like using Revolution on my dogs and cat, but I know I had considered using Rearguard on the bunnies when we first arrived in Oregon and we found daily populations of horse flies and blue bottles appearing in our laundry room which was a doorway off of the bunny room. :(

I did a lot of swatting in those days instead. One of our cats always let me know when he could hear a fly in the house so I just had to watch him. ;)

I wouldnt use it on mine. Dont use monthly flea treatment on my dogs either. They have only ever had fleas once. They are 12 and 10.

Last edited:
I don't even like using Revolution on my dogs and cat, but I know I had considered using Rearguard on the bunnies when we first arrived in Oregon and we found daily populations of horse flies and blue bottles appearing in our laundry room which was a doorway off of the bunny room. :(

I did a lot of swatting in those days instead. One of our cats always let me know when he could hear a fly in the house so I just had to watch him. ;)

Morse is like that. He chases the damn things out of the house x

Never used on outdoor buns despite the flies. Surely healthy bunnies are not at risk. X

We lost a young mini rex to flystrike on Wednesday. His living conditions were clean, I checked his bottom regularly and he was never soiled, but somehow a filthy fly still got to him. He was just 5 months old and otherwise fit and healthy. They must have hatched overnight as by the time I went outside to clean his hutch and feed him, he was already in a very, very bad way. His bum looked fine - the eggs had been laid inside his bottom and the maggots had buried in the skin around his penis so there was nothing visible except a bit of clear mucus upon close inspection. I rushed him to the vets, but he died in my arms as I stood waiting to inform the receptionist of our arrival.

I have just used Rear Guard on our other young mini rex (4.5 months) as I am now completely paranoid that I cannot keep her safe!

We lost a young mini rex to flystrike on Wednesday. His living conditions were clean, I checked his bottom regularly and he was never soiled, but somehow a filthy fly still got to him. He was just 5 months old and otherwise fit and healthy. They must have hatched overnight as by the time I went outside to clean his hutch and feed him, he was already in a very, very bad way. His bum looked fine - the eggs had been laid inside his bottom and the maggots had buried in the skin around his penis so there was nothing visible except a bit of clear mucus upon close inspection. I rushed him to the vets, but he died in my arms as I stood waiting to inform the receptionist of our arrival.

I have just used Rear Guard on our other young mini rex (4.5 months) as I am now completely paranoid that I cannot keep her safe!

I'm so sorry you lost a bun in such a distressing way & at such a young age

Very sorry for your loss :cry:

Back