• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Flopsy is poorly- U/D 10th May.

Hello :wave:

So pleased to hear that he is doing well. I hope you get to the bottom of this soon x

I have a Flopsy as well :thumb:

Update 04/05/2013

The blood results have come back this morning, John rang my mum and then she woke me up to tell me.

The blood tests have flagged up a concern with his Kidney and the functioning. John has done a quantitative test for E.Cuniculi and the results will be back on Tuesday.

I really do not know much about E.C or kidney/renal failure so I will be doing a lot of research and If anyone can advise me here I will be very grateful. John said something about Flopsy could be managed on Fortekor which is a drug for heart and renal failure in cats/dogs. Bella was on fortekor and it worked wonders for her.

I am sorry to hear this Jack

I have had a few Rabbits on Fortekor to manage chronic Renal Failure

I hope that Flopsy will remain well within herself for as long as possible xx

I am sorry to hear this Jack

I have had a few Rabbits on Fortekor to manage chronic Renal Failure

I hope that Flopsy will remain well within herself for as long as possible xx

Thank you Jane, I have just emailed my vet to hopefully find out some more and what his prognosis is xx

missed this thread earlier sorry , the results sound soo much like sox, as you know he is on fortekor too for his kidneys :wave: hope it helps flopsy

I'm sorry it's not better news for your lovely boy. :(

You're an AWESOME bunny-Daddy, he's in great hands.

x

Sorry it wasn't good news :( I had a cat on forketor for kidney failure, and it really helped him. Hope it helps Flopsy. Sending lots of vibes xx

Sorry I missed this jack.... Fingers and paws crossed that Flopsy is up and running in no time....

Hugs for you too..

Fee x

I'm sorry to hear the bloods came back with poorly kidneys for Flopsy, Jack. Vibes being sent that it is something easily managed with meds and that he will be feeling better soon. xxxx

Sorry I am late to this thread, but adding my vibes for Flopsy, and thinking of you at this worrying time.

Update 10th May:

Just an update, I know its been a while since I have updated, the E.C test results were slightly delayed due to the bank holiday!

John asked us to pop along these evening to discuss the results and to put him on medication for his kidney disease.
Thankfully the E.C show no active infection but he has been exposed in the past, But I am so glad he does not have E.C, for now anyway!
He was weighed and the poor boy is just 1.8kg, his 'healthy' weight is normally 2.2kg. He has been put on fortekor to try and keep his kidneys stable and his blood levels. Bella was on fortekor for her heart disease and she really responded well so I am really hoping flopsy does as well.

We have been given enough fortekor until next Saturday then John wants to see him again to see how he is progressing. I am just hoping he responds to the fortekor and he can gain some weight and of course to keep those kidneys stable. John wants to do some more blood tests in 3/4 weeks so he can see how effective the drugs are.

He also mentioned Flopsy does have a bit of arthritis so we have increased his metacam but of course as that can sometimes not agree with the kidneys and can damage them we may have to consider in the future moving him on to Tramadol for his pain relief and anti inflammatory. He is on Metacam for his dental and tooth root pain at the moment.

Thank you everyone for the vibes, hopefully the fortekor can keep him stable for a long time to come.

Back