• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Floorless rabbit hutch - too wet?

Hi everyone,

This is my first post - I've had a look about and haven't seen anyone else posting similar, so apologies if I've missed it!

I got a new hutch for my bunny Ralph for my birthday this summer, but I've just popped out to feed/cuddle him and noticed that the floor is so damp from the rain over night/today.

I'm really worried he'll get ill!

There's 2 floors, upstairs is his toilet and where I put his food to encourage him to go up there, and he does but his favourite spot is hiding under the ladder downstairs.

I've just called my vets and they suggested putting straw down to keep the floor dry, but once that gets wet won't that be just as bad - if not worse?

It's on concrete (we have no grass), and I'm really worried he's going to get poorly :cry:

Any advice would be massively appreciated!

*EDIT*
This is the hutch I have!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PLASTIC-C...983076?hash=item5b2eab0224:g:26IAAOSw5VFWQeMd

Last edited:
Having his feet wet/damp constantly won't be good for him in the long term. You could try to attach some clear tarpaulin round the bottom so the rain won't get in as much and you could put some kind of box in there so he can hide in it and keep warmer.

That's what I'm worried about, I hate the thought of him being damp&cold throughout winter.

He has a box, he just doesn't really go in it...he's such an odd bun. Earlier this year he had GI stasis, was over night at the vets. They said he would just jump on top of the box they gave him and watch everything, while all the other animals slept! Fearless :) but not so great if it makes him poorly short or long term :(

If you can, I would buy a piece of wood, (ideally strong plywood) the size of the base of it and fasten it to the base then put that on bricks. Then as also suggested put something round the mesh to keep the rain out.

Thank you, that's a great idea!

Will try get hold of tarpaulin until we get the wood to adjust the hutch!

Thanks so much for your help everyone :D

It's the run area that's getting wet? I'd give him a box or platform down there (about 18" square) only needs to be an inch off the floor. I wouldn't worry about the rest though, as long as it's not standing water, it's fine for rabbits to have a wet floor in their run when it rains.

I made a doormat for mine, lol. I made it so they hop up into the hutch via a step (one of those ikea child's beds made of wood) which had a fleecy cover tied onto it. Worked a treat to minimise wet paws making a wet hutch :)

You could...

Get a raised piece of wood for him to be on in his favorite area, - as Tamsin suggested.
Use a stable mat for the entire floor.....this would at least keep him directly off rain run off and not be as cold...also easy to wipe clean and non slip.
You can buy perspex pieces cut to size to clip / slot/screw around the bottom to stop rain blowing directly in...at least he would have less draft / weather directly coming in and so more room to hang out.

My run is on crazy paving patio...and water does tend to run in some areas, i use an underbed storage box for just keeping them off the cold/wet foor if they choose to hang out there...i put aubiose & hay in it. They do enjoy that.

I also use clear plastic which is bought off the roll for £2 per metre from the range which I screw in with washers/screws for winter....but it does look abit grubby after a whole winter. But the light comes through, they can see out and it stops the drafts.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8...&hvtargid=kwd-14609883&ref=pd_sl_25a8yl3ljq_b

Oh you could also use a super-absorbent door mat for those wet hocks..works on my buns when they come inside

Back