• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

flooring question

pandasourous

New Kit
hello eveyone

Quick question. What do you all use on the floor of you outdoor hutch's?
I use wood shavings(know i shouldnt but cant find anything else:oops:). I am putting lino on the floor when get chance to go to shop but was wondering what else i can use. THe shavings from pets at home is dusty so have been using one from wilkinson as that one isnt dusty.

Any help please

:wave: We use wood shavings too and have never had any problems with them. And we put straw in his bed compartment.

All i have on the bottom of my hutch is self adhesive flooring tiles (from wilkos) which makes the flooring waterproof should there be any accidents outside the litter tray, then just a layer of newspaper, and in the bedroom department thing i have a cardboard box ful of hay for the to snuggle into. Contary to common belief rabbits do not really need anything on the floor of their hutch, they would be perfectly happy on the bare wood, however if the do toilet on it obviously it would just soak straight into the wood causing smells.

My hutch is lined with lino which is brilliant and I just have two large litter trays in the corner they like to use for a toilet. You could just line the hutch with newspaper until you can lino it and use litter trays. Wood based cat litter is good for these, you can get it in most supermarkets. Its extra great for my lionhead as doesn't stick in his mane.

I use a huge plastic litter tray on top of vinyl floor tiles. Use sawdust in the litter tray, my bunnies don't have any problem with it.

Mine have a cheap mat I got from a pound shop. In their bedroom bit they have straw and hay, not that they go in there, and they have a littler tray too.

I use shavings in the litter trays with newspaper over the shavings.

I use soft chopped straw for the rest of the hutch and a deep hay bed.

This might sound silly but for those of you who use lino - do your buns have any problem hopping around on it? When we bring speckle into the kitchen he only ever hops around on one side (the carpet side!) coz his legs just go in all different directions on the lino :lol: he won't go near it now!

Mine have only been on the lino for a couple of days and they are now finind their feet, i got a sort of grey marbley effect and it has a texture to it so isn't too bad, but you could try covering the lino with newspaper. I'm using the lino to preserve the hutch more than anything, it stops the wee been absorbed into the wood which stops the wood rotting and it doesn't smell as you can just wipe it down with a damp cloth.

I have just vinyl tiles on the floor and a litter tray in the corner and a massive 'jumbo' litter tray in the bedroom compartment, the litter trays are filled with woodshavings :)oops:) and then hay, so easy to keep clean, just a quick wipe down every day and empty the trays and a proper clean once a week. When we first brought bunnies home i had the whole hutch covered in woodshavings and hay, but they just seemed to poop and pee everywhere and I was forever having to clean up, now they just use the litter trays and if there are any little accidents its just a quick wipe. At first the bunnies were a little wary of the vinyl but now it's no problem to them, don't seem to slip atall, although they do like to nibble the tiles :D

ps: my tiles are out of the 'pound' shop, so cheap to replace.

My vinyl tiles are from the pound shop too! Love that place. Have found so many "toys" for the bunnies there :wave:

Back